The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best cabinet for my soldano slo 100
Old 1st May 2011
Here for the gear

Best cabinet for my soldano slo 100

Hey guys need some help... I'm looking for the right cabinet for my soldano slo 100 .. I have been using a peavey cab temporarily because after spending that much on a head I had to wait it out before I could afford a cab.. I don't think I want to go with the soldano cab because it's a bit of a tight space sound for me.. I sing and play rythem for a hard rock band.. Influences such as breaking Benjamin, chevelle , three days grace.. So I am looking for a full sound and at the same time enough detail for a short solo or harmonizing guitar.. I have tried Mesa 4x12 cabs with this head and love what I heard but I don't want to sell a kidney to buy one yet if I haven't weighed all my options... Any tips would be awesome.. Thanks
Old 1st May 2011
Lives for gear

How much do you expect to pay? Avatar cabinets look well made and are not too expensive.

However, I'm curious why you would buy a high end head like Soldano and not be willing to pay for a high end cab to go with it, in this case the obvious choice would be to buy the soldano and be done with it.

For your style of music I would look into Vintage 30 speakers, but if you love the sound of your amp, I would check Soldano's website to find out what type of speakers they put in their cabs to go along with the SLO 100 head. Might give you a clue...

EDIT :

I checked...

MSRP $1,399
MSRP: (empty) $1,199
Maximum Power Capacity: 200 watts
Impedance: 16 ohms
Weight: 72 lbs.
Size: 28″H x 28″W x 14″D
Speakers: Four 12″ Eminence Legend V1216

At this MSRP, it might sell for something like 1000$ which is not very high for a 4x12 considering it's the one that fits your head.

So yeah.... just sell a few pedals and buy the real thing thumbsup
Old 1st May 2011
Lives for gear

Student, teacher and performer for 30 years fwiw - why a 4x12? I would (and do) grab a 2x12 by Bogner, Mesa or CAA for example and be done with it. Anything with quality construction, decide on open, closed or partial back and you'll be good. Speakers are obviously personal preference and subjective so I won't get into that. What type of venue's are you playing? Are you not miking the cab? Are you lugging it around or paying someone to do it for you? I haven't run a 4x12 since the late 80's and don't miss them for a second....
Old 1st May 2011
Lives for gear

for my HR50, i use a marshall 4x12 slant cab loaded with 2 greenbacks and 2 G12H's. sounds really luxurious and kinda dark. its a beautiful sounding rig.

the cool thing is, my friend found this cab at guitar center in the 'used' section for $400! what a steal for a custom speaker cab in excellent condish!
i traded him an epiphone double neck SG for it with no regrets.
Old 1st May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgansound View Post
I haven't run a 4x12 since the late 80's and don't miss them for a second....
i can totally understand that. lugging a 4X12 around is a PITA.

for my next amp, i want to build a ceriatone plexi50, and get 2 separate 2X12 cabs.
Old 1st May 2011
Gear Maniac

Being that you have a 100w head your speaker choice in a 2x12 is limited. The Mesa 4x12 cab you liked was probably loaded with Celestion V30s. So, you if you want to emulate that sound you could buy a Marshall cab w/ v30 speakers or get an Avatar or other custom cab and load it w/ V30s. If you are open to a 2x12 a pair of V30s could handle your 100w head no problem.

Look into Orange cabs as well. I personally don't like V30s but if you want a good cab and like those speakers you'd be hard pressed to find anything as well made as an Orange.

I like vintage Celestion g12m myself, but I wouldn't run a 100w amp into even a quad of those for fear of blowing them. If I had a 100w amp, I'd get a quad of Celestion g12h30s.

It really depends on what sound you like though. Speakers are a very personal thing.
Old 1st May 2011
Actually the Soldano cab is great sounding and it is probably the lightest 4x12 cab too.
Old 2nd May 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaclypse View Post
i can totally understand that. lugging a 4X12 around is a PITA.

for my next amp, i want to build a ceriatone plexi50, and get 2 separate 2X12 cabs.
I talked with a friend of mine the other day about that .. He brought up some of the same points you guys are making and said that he liked the sound of the Mesa 2x12 better anyway..
Old 2nd May 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failedescape View Post
Hey guys need some help... I'm looking for the right cabinet for my soldano slo 100 .. I have been using a peavey cab temporarily because after spending that much on a head I had to wait it out before I could afford a cab.. I don't think I want to go with the soldano cab because it's a bit of a tight space sound for me.. I sing and play rythem for a hard rock band.. Influences such as breaking Benjamin, chevelle , three days grace.. So I am looking for a full sound and at the same time enough detail for a short solo or harmonizing guitar.. I have tried Mesa 4x12 cabs with this head and love what I heard but I don't want to sell a kidney to buy one yet if I haven't weighed all my options... Any tips would be awesome.. Thanks
I am not going to read all the suggestions.. if you love the mesa cabs that sound is (in part) the very heavy very well made cab.. were they on casters or direct on the floor.. it makes quite a dif...

personally I have tried many of the cabs made from 3/4" marine ply that weight a ton and are quite accurate (more so when on the floor and less so on casters) personally I like the looser sound of the lighter marshall 5/8' ply cabs on casters.. it is not so tight and sterile... the heavier and more rigid the cab the 'faster/tighter/more accurate the sound...

factor in speakers ..speakers with less cone cry (heritage 12H celestian, EV, hemp cone etc) in a heavy cab will detail what you amp is putting out better than a 75T celestion or greenback in a lighter marshall cab...

I like the speaker to color the sound a las much as it can ....high accuracy sounds very harsh to me..
Old 2nd May 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDiamond View Post
Actually the Soldano cab is great sounding and it is probably the lightest 4x12 cab too.
really??
Old 2nd May 2011
ACO
Gear Nut

Bogner with Vintage30's ?
Old 3rd May 2011
Gear Nut

one vote for the mesa

I run a Soldano X88R preamp -> Marshall EL34 poweramp -> Mesa Boogie 4x12 with Celestion Vintage 30s on casters. Sounds f***ing phenomenal! Rocks for both heavy distorted Marshall sounds and totally clean delayed-out stuff. FWIW, the Soldano and the Boogie cab have seen a lot of shows and are virtually indestructable. But yeah, the sh**s heavy - better have someone to help you lift

May I suggest buying new tubes for the whole deal from eurotubes.com once you get it all together? One of the best investments I ever made upgrading all the tubes in the signal chain...

Cheers,
Jaguar
Old 3rd May 2011
Lives for gear

I have a Hot Rod 50 XL+ running into a Soldano full stack... the upper, slanted cab I bought used, the lower straight I bougt new. The new WAS a bit pricey, but I just liked the visual aspect of having all Soldano

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search