The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to process Left/Right Mid/Side
Old 1st May 2011
Gear Maniac

How to process Left/Right Mid/Side

This might seem like a dumb question to some but lets say I am mastering a track. I like the SSL compressor from waves, but I might not Love what it does to the stereo image. I have a single .wav file I am mastering. I am thinking that If I process the Left and Right sides seperately I might like the results more. How is this possible in a DAW? (I am using logic 9)
Also is it possible to separate this signals (as mentioned above) into mid and side?
Old 1st May 2011
Gear Maniac

There are some plugs like Brainworx... The bx solo seems to do exactly what I am looking for with the Mid/Side signal. These plugs also have solo buttons for the L and R signal. But I am not hearing it right. Also the level meters aren't showing what I would expect. If the left side is solo'ed.. shouldnt all the signal be coming from the left speaker? Instead when L is solo'ed the level meters still show the same amount of signal for L and R.?
Old 1st May 2011
Lives for gear

The brainworx solo plug is great, I would pay for that plugin! When you are soloing L and R, it solo's one of the sides and brings it to the center of the image. You are still hearing the left or right side.
Old 1st May 2011
Gear Maniac

Ok So thanks. If I want to process the L side and the R side independently for mastering should I just duplicate the original track and hard pan one left and one right?
Old 1st May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gritzildino View Post
Ok So thanks. If I want to process the L side and the R side independently for mastering should I just duplicate the original track and hard pan one left and one right?
You could do that, or you could just process the stereo track as 2 mono tracks as opposed to one stereo track. Tomato, TomAto....
Old 1st May 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
you could just process the stereo track as 2 mono tracks as opposed to one stereo track. Tomato, TomAto....
How do you do that?
Old 1st May 2011
Gear Maniac

^^^ This is a bit confusing for me because I know that when I mono a stereo track I lose all the stereo field. So if I create two mono tracks from the one stereo track, they will be exactly the same, won't they?
Old 1st May 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydelta1 View Post
they will be the same, if you pan the two mono track hard left and right. When COMBINING the two tracks into ONE mono channel, you will be SUMMING the two together, losing the image.
Umm... Ya... So that is exactly NOT what I want to accomplish... But I do always hear of people using two mono sources instead of one stereo file... I was wondering how this is possible without disturbing the stereo image?
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gritzildino View Post
This might seem like a dumb question to some but lets say I am mastering a track. I like the SSL compressor from waves, but I might not Love what it does to the stereo image. I have a single .wav file I am mastering. I am thinking that If I process the Left and Right sides seperately I might like the results more. How is this possible in a DAW? (I am using logic 9)
Just create 2 aux tracks and send the left channel of your stereo mix to one, and your right channel to the other. Hard pan them and then treat each channel as you wish.

-R

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search