The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Live Snare Mics/Techniques for "different" drum setup
Old 1st May 2011
Gear Nut

Live Snare Mics/Techniques for "different" drum setup

I've decided to try setting up my kit with the kick, snare, and hats all in a straight line centered in front of me, with everything else around it. I've attempted to make something which will show what I'm trying to do:

Now, I've always been very happy with the sound of a 57 on my snare. I tried the i5 for a while, but I could never get really happy with it until I swapped it out for the 57. I don't think a 57 is going to work with this setup. I just don't think there's enough room between the components to fit the mic, much less deal with the probable hi-hat bleed.

I'm open to suggestions, whether they be for trying different mics or trying to mic the shell or whatnot. I've got access to 57's, 58's, beta 57's and beta 87's, e609's, e604's, 421's, D2's, D4's, an i5, an OM-6, an EV 468, a KM184, an SM-7B (though I don't know that I'd be able to get enough clean gain out of the system), NT-5's, a KSM-109, and maybe a few others I can't remember off the top of my head atm. Also, if there were a mic which would work nicely for this that I don't have and didn't cost a fortune and had other useful applications beyond this, I might consider purchasing one.

Suggestions?
Old 1st May 2011
Granelli Labs 57?

Also:
Josephson e22s
Audio Technia ATM450
Shure Beta 181, Beta 56A, Beta 98 AMP
Old 1st May 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElightCory View Post
Granelli Labs 57?

Also:
Josephson e22s
Audio Technia ATM450
Shure Beta 181, Beta 56A, Beta 98 AMP
I like the idea of the Granelli 57, but it sucks that I'd have to spend more on the mod kit than I've spent on any of my 57's (and shipping is ridiculous).

Any other suggestions?
Old 1st May 2011
PMF
Gear Maniac
Try the Shure Beta 98 AMP/C. It has a clamp and its small so you'll save a lot of space around the snare (no mic stands needed for it). IMHO it souds really clear and puchy. You could also try a Shure Beta 56A. 2 very good workhorse mics.
Old 1st May 2011
Gear Head

I second a Beta 56 on a clamp.
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

i like sm57 + sdc taped together
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Nut

How the H are you going to use the pedal on the kick like that? Sorry, but had to ask.
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Addict

I'm curious, how are you going to get your foot around the snare stand to the kick drum pedal?
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayphish View Post
I'm curious, how are you going to get your foot around the snare stand to the kick drum pedal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
How the H are you going to use the pedal on the kick like that? Sorry, but had to ask.
I have an Iron Cobra double pedal that I have modified a little bit. The main pedal is still attached to the kick drum as normal, but i disconnected the chain connected to its footboard. I am using the auxiliary pedal on the right side connected w/ the drive shaft to the "main" beater (which was formerly connected to the aforementioned footboard). The 2nd beater is not connected to anything, and so this double pedal is now basically a single. I could easily make it a double again by simply buying another auxiliary pedal and drive shaft and running them to the left side.

For the hi-hat stand, instead of using a traditional remote-hat setup where the cable runs through a plastic sleeve, I am planning on buying one of these: home
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydelta1 View Post
421 and/or e22. try those. want the best ever? believe it or not lol c12. But you'll probably break it.
I think the e22 and (especially) the c12 are out of my price range. I would think a 421 would have massive problems fitting into the space I'm going to be dealing with.
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Nut

What about an EV N/D468?
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Nut

Here's a picture of a similar kit:

The big difference is that my kick drum will be shifted over. As you can see, there really isn't much room for mics.
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Addict

As a drummer, I'm curious as to what playing advantage you will gain by doing this.
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafspark View Post
I like the idea of the Granelli 57, but it sucks that I'd have to spend more on the mod kit than I've spent on any of my 57's (and shipping is ridiculous).

Any other suggestions?
I thought the same thing about shipping. I contacted Granelli and
they sent me an invoice for the post office that came out to about
$6 instead of the overpriced UPS and Fedex prices. Hope this helps.
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamelan View Post
As a drummer, I'm curious as to what playing advantage you will gain by doing this.
Moving the hi-hats eliminates the cross-over problem that you get with a traditional setup and makes it easier to play the hats with your left hand, especially if the left hand is going back and forth between the snare and hats.

As far as the toms go, I'm fairly used to playing with a 4-piece kit, so the 12" and 16" toms are normal enough for that. This also lets me still have the 10" and 14" toms available if I need them. Shifting the kick over is really more about letting me position the 12" tom where I want it, since it would be too high for me if it were over top of the kick as in the photo above.

Plus, it's always fun to try something new and different.
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauloticks View Post
I thought the same thing about shipping. I contacted Granelli and
they sent me an invoice for the post office that came out to about
$6 instead of the overpriced UPS and Fedex prices. Hope this helps.
That would certainly make the Granelli option much more reasonable. I hate paying an additional 20+% on top of an item's cost for shipping, especially for something as small as this. I'm about to buy a new hi-hat stand, and the shipping for that is only $14.
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydelta1 View Post
421 and/or e22. try those. want the best ever? believe it or not lol c12. But you'll probably break it.
I just remembered that my Red Type B has the R6/B6 capsule which is supposed to be modeled after the C12...

(I still don't think I'll be using it on snare though...)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search