The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A LDC mic that doesn't push higher frequencies for Voice Over?
Old 29th April 2011
Here for the gear

A LDC mic that doesn't push higher frequencies for Voice Over?

Any recommendations on a Large Diaph. Condenser mic that doesn't push higher frequencies for a sibilant female voice? Prefer something under $500. Also, is there data in the spec sheet of a mic that I can look for that will tell me if it is a mic that will be less prone to pushing the higher frequencies? Thanks all.
Old 29th April 2011
Lives for gear

I recommend Kel audio HM2d.
On Kel's web sites, it has some samples.
Old 29th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Get rid of the condenser, maintain on the large diaphragm ab go for an sm7b. It within your budget and
I´ve done lots of VOs with it. Both freq.switches on the back to "flat", et violá. If you really want a LDC, maybe you´ll find a used 414 B-ULS for the money. Really flat and clean.
Old 30th April 2011
Here for the gear

Is a dynamic mic (like the SM7B) though, going to require too much gain?

thanks Reiner, for your quick response, but I have read that a dynamic mic may require too much gain to be pleasing in use at my modest start-up home studio (I will be using a mic port pro as my preamp, which has great reviews, actually). Am I mis-informed about a dynamic mic needing too much gain? Thanks. (Also, is there a notation on a mic's spec sheet that I could look for, to tell if it "pushes higher frequencies?") Thanks.
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear

As mentioned, sm7. But, I've had good results with a CAD M179 when I want neutral/flat from a source. One I particularly like for female VO however, is the AT4047.
Old 30th April 2011
Gear Maniac

@buyerpro
I don´t know nothing about your preamp but yes, the sm7 needs more gain than maybe an LDC. But next to the "highend"preamps I also used it with success on preamps like the SPL Goldmike MK I and the Preamps in the M-Audio Profire series.
Old 1st May 2011
Gear Maniac

The Microtech Gefell MT71 S works great.
Old 2nd May 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyerpro View Post
Any recommendations on a Large Diaph. Condenser mic that doesn't push higher frequencies for a sibilant female voice? Prefer something under $500. Also, is there data in the spec sheet of a mic that I can look for that will tell me if it is a mic that will be less prone to pushing the higher frequencies? Thanks all.
I use the Violet Black Knight for all my VO work. VO is a hobby of mine but I did months of research before buying one. It is completely flat with a slight 2db bump at 3k. VERY quiet mike (low self noise). You can get a new display model for $350 at Sweetwaveaudio.com where I got mine. Hand built in Latvia and containing no parts from China (if that is important to you.) Loads of character and quality. This is my first mic so take it for what it is. Violet will send you a CD of WAV files for free. Good luck!
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

AT 4050 is a very good VO mic and can be easily found within your budget...

Dynamics like the SM7b great on strong voices, but for many people (especially amateurs) an LDC will provide the extra output needed.
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
Dynamics like the SM7b great on strong voices, but for many people (especially amateurs) an LDC will provide the extra output needed.
true. this could be a problem with a slightly weaker preamp but as if your VO-Artist is a professional (as most of the time if your doing VO for a living) there shouldn´t be any issues.
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premiumphoto View Post
I use the Violet Black Knight for all my VO work. VO is a hobby of mine but I did months of research before buying one. It is completely flat with a slight 2db bump at 3k. VERY quiet mike (low self noise). You can get a new display model for $350 at Sweetwaveaudio.com where I got mine. Hand built in Latvia and containing no parts from China (if that is important to you.) Loads of character and quality. This is my first mic so take it for what it is. Violet will send you a CD of WAV files for free. Good luck!
I got my own Violet Black Knight last week - though in my case I won it in the Violet Prize Draw at the Frankfurt Show last month. heh

Hugh Robjohn's Sound On Sound review is HERE and he seems to rate it very highly - which is why I am keeping mine for my mic. locker.

Looks to be excellent for the price and well worth investigating.
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiner View Post
true. this could be a problem with a slightly weaker preamp but as if your VO-Artist is a professional (as most of the time if your doing VO for a living) there shouldn´t be any issues.
Fair enough. In my world I do quite a bit of dialog for language education, meditation, audio books, self help cds etc...I'd say that in the last 10 years, maybe 5% of that work was with a pro voice. So for that's the rule, not the exception. Can't speak for the OP though...

No weak preamps here, just weak voices.

Z

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search