The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ok, dithering this whole 16 bit and 24 bit business Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 28th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Ok, dithering this whole 16 bit and 24 bit business

ok, so I\'ve been reading about dithering. This is my understanding of why we do it. It is to make a recording that was 24 that is being converted to 16 bit for example sound better and eliminate the quantization distortion.

What I don\'t understand is why you would want to go to 16 bit being that 24 is so great... I may sound like an idiot and I\'m sure I am but surely you can bounce a file and put it on a disk and BAM so whats with this whole cd\'s have to be 16 bit?

ok so if anyone could just elaborate and iron out and explain a bunch of fact you lot know, it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Lorenzo
Old 28th April 2011
Gear Nut

because cd quality is 16b I suppose is the reason you may want to bounce down from 24b ...
Old 28th April 2011
Gear Maniac

ok thanks for that. I guess not I understand why its such a big deal. But in this day and age do I absolutely have to dither, if all my stuff is in 24 bit and I don\'t do CD\'s then surely i can just keep everything 24 bit? Thanks for the help
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear
Ok, dithering this whole 16 bit and 24 bit business

In reality, the red book standard for CDs is 14 bit. At the time it looked like the s/n advantage over LPs was so great that only 14 were necessary. The two LSBs were left for dither although things like HDCD use them as control bits.

What you want is for things down there in the noise floor to be eliminated by the anti aliasing filters. If they float at zero for awhile and then 1s for awhile, they can make audible noise. At least that's the way I understand it.
Old 28th April 2011
Gear Maniac

I've noticed that some MP3 convertors sound "less crappy" when they start with a 44.1k 16 bit file... Not all but some.

Experiment and find out what MP3 making system pisses you off the lest.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search