The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mid/Side technique as an effect in the mix
Old 28th April 2011
Gear Head

Mid/Side technique as an effect in the mix

Hi guys, I was toying around with some plugins that offers m/s capabilities, the Density mkII and the RescueA from variety of sound, and I came up to automate the mid/side control to achieve some interesting effects.

for instance, I wanted to give the impression that a song start playing from a distant hole, so in addition to some reverb and compression automation, in order to narrow the stereo image, instead of using pan automation (gradually moving the instruments from the center to the sides) I tried to automate the side and mid gain of the rescue plugin this way :

mid gain from max to 0.5 (knob center position)
side gain from min to 0.5 (knob center position)

I find that is quite nice and give a special effect different from panning automation, I'd say something unbalanced and unpredictable, that make you feel unquiet, you don't really understand what is going on, until the calm take place at the end of the automation :D

what do you think about that ?
Have you ever experienced something like that ?
I will try this trick also with some m/s compressors and EQs along with some other control automation.
Old 28th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Just once so far, where I started the song in mono, and then used M/S automation on the master channel to have everything jump into stereo when the first chorus started. It really did result in an effect analogous to the wizard of oz movie, where they start in black & white, and then go to colour when they get to Oz. While cool, it seemed like the kind of thing that would get old if overdone, so I haven't used it again for a few years.

I also tried doing complete phase reversals of the mix in time with the beat on the same song, which was a very obvious and unsettling effect indeed; and one channel ones at at time, which of course played havoc with mono compatibility, but was effective as long as it was only for a few seconds.
Old 28th April 2011
Gear Maniac

I play with m/s all the time. Just make sure to check your mix in mono to make sure you are ok with the volume changes that m/s automation will bring to the table.... also check your mix in a car/laptop etc...so you have an idea of what you can get away with.

Try messing around with multi band m/s also. A good starting point is having the low freq below 200hz be only the summed single (mono). And then playing with the width of the mid and high frequencies.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search