The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
lundahl transformer
Old 28th April 2011
Gear Head

lundahl transformer

i am looking to buy a ribbon microphone
the mxl r77
i have the option of adding a lundahl transformer to the mic for an extra 150 dollars
can someone inform me as to what exactly this upgrade (or not an upgrade) affects?
Old 28th April 2011
Gear Head

i am also looking to buy a mxl v69
which is a tube condenser microphone
and there is two versions
the v69 for $270
and the v69xm for $400
the v69xm comes with a balanced transformer output
what exactly does this mean and what does it affect?
please help
thanks alot
Old 28th April 2011
you can buy a lundahl tranny for around $75 and do it yourself. Look up ribbon mic mods. do some searches. there are a lot of posts and web sites out there. Or if you are not handy with a soldering iron, pay the $150 and go for it. Or not. : )
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear
Absolutely get the Lundahl transformer. It will make the mic sound a little smoother and more musical in the mids, especially on vocals and guitars. I love lundahls and sowters. $150 is very fair for someone to do the work for you. It will take the mic up a notch for sure.
Old 28th April 2011
Or you can look into a Cinemag ribbon mic transformer for around $50 which also sounds very good in the ribbon mics. I have two mics with Lundahls and two mics with Cinemags. They both sound very good and sound a lot better than they did stock.

To acquire a Cinemag transformer, send them a message--tell them what mic you have and what you want to do and they will respond back with the price and so on. Very good people making products in the USA, not China. I am not saying China is bad, I just am very pleased to see things made in my own country and I like to support those efforts--especially when places are making good stuff!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search