The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mackie ProFX 8 + Firestudio Mobile = RAWR! HELP!
Old 28th April 2011
Here for the gear

Mackie ProFX 8 + Firestudio Mobile = RAWR! HELP!

Ok, ok... so this isn't a traditional recording question; I actually run a podcast and recently purchased some new equipment... here's the story:

My previous setup sounded just fine. It wasn't spectacular, but I sure wasn't having the problems I'm having now. I don't like using just a firewire interface, as recording 5 simultaneous tracks individually isn't necessary and just wastes HDD space and resources on my computer. So I'm running the mains out from my mixer into two channels available on my firewire interface. This was working like a charm... on my previous setup.

So let's go over what's changed:

Previous Setup:
Mackie ProFX 8 running mains out to the first two channels available on a Presonus Firepod while using a headphone splitter cable from the headphone jack to run headphones to others on the show. Recording using Logic 9.

New Setup:
Mackie ProFX 8 running mains out to the two front inputs available on the brand new PreSonus FireStudio Mobile using a Presonus HP4 headphone amp from the mains out of the Firestudio Mobile to run headphones to others on the show. Recording using Logic 9.

The Problem
Now, I'm getting a terrible, digital noise using the new setup. It's pretty loud and impossible to miss. When I plug a Mic directly into the Firestudio Mobile, everything sounds perfect. But when I plug the Mackie mixer back up to the Firestudio Mobile... all goes to hell. To me, this would indicate this issue lies somewhere in the mixer; some sort of power issue.

I need this noise GONE. It is terribly disturbing and I really hope someone here can help me with ANY advice.

Thanks!
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear

1. Make sure you're not accidentally running phantom power from the interface xlr's

2. Consult your manual for the appropriate method to run a line level signal into your interface. There's usually either a selection in the software, a toggle on the front, a combo jack that accepts xlr for mic signals and ts or trs for instrument or line. Sometimes you just need to turn the preamp gain all the way down.

3. Can you post a clip of the noise?

4. Can you be more specific about how you're hooking everything up?
Old 28th April 2011
mrc
Lives for gear
it's sounds bad because you're connecting the mixer's line outs to the hi-z inputs on the firestudio mobile. you have line ins on the back of the device. this should solve your problem.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search