The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does this make sense: Using a snake to connect multiple audio interface to a mixer?
Old 28th April 2011
Here for the gear

Does this make sense: Using a snake to connect multiple audio interface to a mixer?

We have 8 audio interfaces (Layas & Motus) in a small rack.

We need to bring a pair of connections from each interface to an Ashly line mixer.

We would like to use good balanced TRS to TRS cables, 3 - 6' long, but they are expensive.

What would be a good cable for around $10 each? (We like Mogami Pure Patch, but they are more than twice that.)

Or my idea: using two high-quality 8 channels snakes, taking one wire from each snake for the two channels from each interface. But is that a bad idea having outputs from different interfaces co-mingling?
Old 28th April 2011
are you worried about the physical cables being 2 close together? if they are balanced TRS then this wont be a problem. thats what multicores are for
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear

I soldered my own snakes using bulk connectors, a 54 point TRS professional grade patch bay (25 dollars on e-bay, people hate to solder these days), and bulk multistrand balanced snake cable and use it to make all my patch connections between my rack gear and interface from the control chair. It works like a dream. It took a few days, but all in all it's probably the single most useful studio upgrade I have ever made. I also placed a 6 point XLR jack plate and wired it to all my pre-amp inpts so I can connect my mics easily from the performance area. Drum mics go through an 8 channel snake to a sub mixer as well. Did I mention how much I hate crawling around on the floor with a flashlight in my teeth connecting cables when I could be recording?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search