The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stereo cable upgrade/recommendations? (TRS to 2 x TS) Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Nut
Stereo cable upgrade/recommendations? (TRS to 2 x TS)

Hi,
I’m after advice on a TRS to 2x TS cable upgrade. Both live and in the stuiod I am currently using a Planet Waves stereo cable from my acoustic guitars (equipped with K&K pure western mini on the tip and an L R Baggs M1a or a Seymour Duncan Magmic on the ring) and on my electric guitar (Parker Nitefly). It's about 3 m long, which is about right (could usefully be up to 4.5m). The acoustics feed either my RME Fireface 400 or AER Compact 60 amp; the electric goes to an amp or Little Labs Redeye reamp device.
Would it be worthwhile replacing it and if so with what? I'm not thinking crazy audiophile esotetica (not prepared to spend £500, yet alone £5,000 on a cable), just wondering whether there would be an appreciable difference getting something else (ideally reasonably inexpensive).
In case it makes a difference, I'm based in London (UK).
Many thanks in advance.
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

I'm entirely confused as to what you are doing.

(Is this correct?):
You have a TRS to dual-TS cable. You are plugging two guitars into the TS ends and the TRS end into an amp or interface?? If so, this is bad-news-bears. Can you clarify?

//

In any case, it's an unbalanced cable, so keep it as short as reasonably possible.
Old 28th April 2011
Gear Nut
Nonononono The guitars are stereo (well, dual mono) sources. Hence my one pickup on the tip and another on the ring explanation. So TRS end is at the guitar, TS ends are at the amp/interface/preamps (each treated independently). Though it was worth mentioning what the sources are (either active magnetic and high output passive soundboard transducer; or the passive electric guitar pickups on the Nitefly plus it's active piezo) in case that affects cable recommendations.

Current cable length (10ft / 3.3m) is about as short as I can go really.
Old 28th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Copper is Copper....no amount of advertising and hype will change that.

Do yourself a favor and learn how to make your own cables. You can buy really nice shielded cable with string tension relief and redundancy built in for less then $1 a foot. Great connectors are less then $4....

A soldering iron pays for itself fast!
Old 28th April 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
Copper is Copper....no amount of advertising and hype will change that.

Do yourself a favor and learn how to make your own cables. You can buy really nice shielded cable with string tension relief and redundancy built in for less then $1 a foot. Great connectors are less then $4....

A soldering iron pays for itself fast!
Yes, but a crap cable is still a crap cable.

OP, I am in the same sitch with my Rick 4003 Ric-o-sound out. I have an ok cheap trs to dual ts (can't remember where or how I got it) but would love a quality cable of that type.

If you don't have time to build cables (like me), let alone specialty cables like this, try the guys at Redco and see if they can build one for you. You may have to email them with this type of cable.
Old 28th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Redco is great if you don't have the time. Very easy to deal with and fast.
Old 4th May 2011
Gear Nut
Alas, Redco are based in the States. Were I to get something made in the UK from a similar company (e.g. Cadence Cables), am I likely to see any appreciable difference in tone? Or are Planet Waves cables sufficiently up to the job?
Old 4th May 2011
Gear Addict

Despite what some folks will say around here, there's not going to be an appreciable difference in tone. You may, however, benefit from a little extra RF rejection and durability. If it's strictly a studio setup then you might not be bothered to explore an upgrade.
Old 4th May 2011
Gear Addict

Also, Planet Waves stuff isn't bad at all. Better quality than something like Hosa, or whatever generic cabling you can get in the bargain bin, IMO.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search