The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avalon There is a Trick with the 2044.
Old 26th April 2011
Gear Guru

Avalon There is a Trick with the 2044.

As some of you know I am not a hug Avalon fan, the VT series is ok but not usable to me, the AD series is much better if that is what you are looking for. I used the 2022 a few times, very nice for clean vocals, DI bass, the 2055 has never thrill me on 2 buss, 2077 I have never owned. So lets talk about the AD2044.

I have read many threads all over the boards Gearslutz, Recording.org etc, all give the same answer about the 2044, its sound like a pillow over it or it sound pillowy etc, the attack is not fast enough blah blah blah.
Well all I can say is go ahead and continue to use the 2044 as you have been doing and get the same results as I would agree with you.
Or learn how the 2044 can come to life and become somewhat of a huge 2 buss beast.

Take Notes and try......Get back to me and let me know what you think....

Ok here is the setup and the trick.

First take both output gains and run them wide open, not 9, I mean wide open and leave them there.
2nd, leave the attack and release off as in Zero.
Switch your link button on !!!
Your first Threshold run about 16, its like a Hard/Soft knee control.
The first Compressor run about 5
Your 2nd Threshold run about 8-12 find the sweet spot, its like a Limiter.
Your 2nd Compressor 0 because it does nothing in link mode.

Now do a mix through 2 buss and see how much glue, mids, highs, width, depth you are getting, vs what you were getting the way you have set it in the past.

I found one other guy on GS that made the point of how important it was for the output gain to be wide open, I told myself he has found the trick of the 2044.
Old 3rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for the information on the Avalon 2044. I don't have one but a friend does. AD 2000 Series does have some amazing stuff inside their boxes. We tried your experiment to some degree and did find the unit more useful. By pushing the output all the way, you are pushing the amp to have more umph and not the pillow touch some complain about with this unit. This alone has helped the compressor to stay transparent but with more authority. Using it with the standard -2db or so on a 2 bus has really helped in control transients while being transparent, but with a clearer definition. We used the attack in the fast position and release in the middle. However on punchy songs, we use a mid attack (per Avalon guy at the AES show) with mid release and were able to obtain very good results. This is really a wonderful compressor for controlling transients while being transparent. If you want it to be clean but punchy, the Nail is the best option. (He has both).

We also tried your method, and liked it as well. This unit is very misunderstood on gearslutz. My friend James choose this over the Cranesong STC-8 which has no character at all. (thought I guess some people like that)
Old 3rd January 2012
For the purpose of controlling transience, I am a big fan of the 2044. It does a great job at this and makes the overall mix sound better.
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Just bought a 2044 for my studio; very, very nice for a 2 bus. I am surprised this is not talked about more. The AD components are really very high end and clear on this unit. It bascially controls the harder transients and brings them down without affecting the sound of your mix. In addition, it makes the spacial sound of your mixes nice. I like it, I like it.
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
Thanks for the information on the Avalon 2044. I don't have one but a friend does. AD 2000 Series does have some amazing stuff inside their boxes. We tried your experiment to some degree and did find the unit more useful. By pushing the output all the way, you are pushing the amp to have more umph and not the pillow touch some complain about with this unit. This alone has helped the compressor to stay transparent but with more authority. Using it with the standard -2db or so on a 2 bus has really helped in control transients while being transparent, but with a clearer definition. We used the attack in the fast position and release in the middle. However on punchy songs, we use a mid attack (per Avalon guy at the AES show) with mid release and were able to obtain very good results. This is really a wonderful compressor for controlling transients while being transparent. If you want it to be clean but punchy, the Nail is the best option. (He has both).

We also tried your method, and liked it as well. This unit is very misunderstood on gearslutz. My friend James choose this over the Cranesong STC-8 which has no character at all. (thought I guess some people like that)
It can add head room but it has some harmonics that kick in and the highs really release well with the outputs wide open.
If someone sends you a bright mix or unstable and perhaps you say this is not savable, with the 2044 you are gonna get a lot closer to saving the mix than any other compressor, has to be because it's a opto.
Old 7th October 2012
Gear Addict

Oh my god I can wait to go to my studio and try it!!

nice trick
Old 8th October 2012
Gear Addict

oh my god!!!! It sounds amazing!!!!

thank you for the trick!!

Old 9th October 2012
Gear Guru

Yup the 2044 is just ok, sorta has a blanket sound to it, but many people have never found the magic in the unit on 2 buss by running the outputs at +10, that makes it a special unit for sure.
Old 24th June 2013
Gear Addict

just read this interesting piece of knowledge !!
if i well understood with this trick you use ad 2044 in stereo link and it became like 2 compressors in series ?
and adopting those setting first one act like usual comp and second as almost a limiter ?

IS IT correct ?
Old 24th June 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfinder View Post
just read this interesting piece of knoledge!!
if i well understood with this trick you use ad 2044 in stereo link and it became like 2 compressors in series ?
and adopting those setting first act like usual comp and second one as almost a limiter ?

IS IT correct ?
That is true, but if you need dual mono for 2 buss it still works perfect, just remember +10 on the outputs, like I said not 8 or 9, TEN.....
Attack zero and use the release where it makes you happy, for me almost always zero as well on 2 buss glue. the +10 output gives off some great iron in the mix, instant mids in a way.

This has always worked for me, I don't have a 2044 anymore but if I did I would put it to use for sure.
Many people like the recovery time on a Neve at A2 or A1, I like the 100
Old 20th July 2013
Thanks for the tip, AAT; I came across it while researching the unit, before recently purchasing a used one.

Fun Fact: Based on the giant, silver Sharpie signature on the top, this one was previously owned by Dweezil Zappa.

Along its journey, the right VU meter has become frozen and the left Attack knob is bent slightly, but still functions perfectly.

While ordering replacement parts from Avalon (they were super-helpful and didn't gouge me for parts), I was referred to a tech for official calibration procedures and notes. He provided them happily and promptly. I was so comfortable with my interactions with Avalon, that I asked for his thoughts about your "trick." Below is his reply:

"I haven’t heard of it before.

Setting the gain to +10 db may do something good as you are raising the feedback gain improving harmonics creation in the amps.

Using both channels' Threshold may give you interesting compression, depending of what you try to accomplish.

They will act as one on top of the other, so the one set lower may behave as a hard/knee limiter compressor.

Never tried it."

So, there you have it.

Best,
Harold LaRue
Abell Audio
Columbus, OH
Old 11th January 2014
Here for the gear

Help!

Hi there,

I tried it but I’m clearly missing something.

First, setting the output controls at +10 results in clipping in the back stages of 2044 unless one significantly lowers the level before the input. There is no mention of doing this, but is this part of the plan?

I’m also confused by the statement: “…use ad 2044 in stereo link and it became like 2 compressors in series…” Are we using the 2 channels independently or physically patching the output of channel one into channel 2?

Lastly, I am somewhat unclear as to the statement: “…leave the attack and release off as in Zero…” I’m guessing you mean fully clockwise to “slow”. Is that correct?

As others seem to be having success with this, I would greatly appreciate some help sorting it out.

Thanks in advance
Old 11th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by belbucus View Post
Hi there,

I tried it but I’m clearly missing something.

First, setting the output controls at +10 results in clipping in the back stages of 2044 unless one significantly lowers the level before the input. There is no mention of doing this, but is this part of the plan?

I’m also confused by the statement: “…use ad 2044 in stereo link and it became like 2 compressors in series…” Are we using the 2 channels independently or physically patching the output of channel one into channel 2?

Lastly, I am somewhat unclear as to the statement: “…leave the attack and release off as in Zero…” I’m guessing you mean fully clockwise to “slow”. Is that correct?

As others seem to be having success with this, I would greatly appreciate some help sorting it out.

Thanks in advance
No, I like the 2044 in dual mono mode, you get more width, link mode is ok I just like the dual mono.
Far as +10 on output I was running the unit on 2 buss insert off console.
Using both compressor as in series is stupid, at least on this unit.
Since the 2044 is not super fast I always use the attack at 0 , far as release it depended on the song.
2044 is barely good enough for hard/fast rock or metal, but anything else is great, also have a eq with it, it tends to have a slight low mid bump.
I think it's one of the best Opto out there.
Old 15th November 2014
I´m sooo eager to hear how it sounds when pushing it in this setting!!!!

Anyone that have an example of some sort that describes the type of texture you get when driving it with that setting??
Would appreciate it alooot.

All my besssst
//Ted
Old 30th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
As some of you know I am not a hug Avalon fan, the VT series is ok but not usable to me, the AD series is much better if that is what you are looking for. I used the 2022 a few times, very nice for clean vocals, DI bass, the 2055 has never thrill me on 2 buss, 2077 I have never owned. So lets talk about the AD2044.

I have read many threads all over the boards Gearslutz, Recording.org etc, all give the same answer about the 2044, its sound like a pillow over it or it sound pillowy etc, the attack is not fast enough blah blah blah.
Well all I can say is go ahead and continue to use the 2044 as you have been doing and get the same results as I would agree with you.
Or learn how the 2044 can come to life and become somewhat of a huge 2 buss beast.

Take Notes and try......Get back to me and let me know what you think....

Ok here is the setup and the trick.

First take both output gains and run them wide open, not 9, I mean wide open and leave them there.
2nd, leave the attack and release off as in Zero.
Switch your link button on !!!
Your first Threshold run about 16, its like a Hard/Soft knee control.
The first Compressor run about 5
Your 2nd Threshold run about 8-12 find the sweet spot, its like a Limiter.
Your 2nd Compressor 0 because it does nothing in link mode.

Now do a mix through 2 buss and see how much glue, mids, highs, width, depth you are getting, vs what you were getting the way you have set it in the past.

I found one other guy on GS that made the point of how important it was for the output gain to be wide open, I told myself he has found the trick of the 2044.
I am interested in this compressor. Even more so after reading about this setup. Does the 2044 sound different than the 747 when you bypass the tubes?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear