The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Home studio-Console?
Old 26th April 2011
Here for the gear

Home studio-Console?

At what price range does a mixing console become an asset rather than a liability?
I have a Behringer 16 ch Eurodesk that I recently removed from my signal path because there was a noticable degradation of my signal.
I miss the convenience but can't afford a high end console.
Old 26th April 2011
Allen&Heath ZED-R16 or GSR-24M, Soundcraft Ghost? Cheap but good quality.
Old 26th April 2011
Lives for gear

Do you really need a console to mix at home? Can you mix ITB?

It's better to stay ITB unless you can afford some decent analog. Maybe something like a Midas Venice in the very least.
Old 26th April 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
Do you really need a console to mix at home? Can you mix ITB?

It's better to stay ITB unless you can afford some decent analog. Maybe something like a Midas Venice in the very least.
I only used the console for tracking, I've always mixed ITB
Old 26th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Which audio interface are you working with?
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5TO36 View Post
I only used the console for tracking, I've always mixed ITB
bassackwards...
Old 27th April 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shani haider View Post
Which audio interface are you working with?
Saffire pro 40
Old 27th April 2011
Here for the gear

how many money you have to spend??
Old 27th April 2011
Here for the gear

Allen Heath GS R24m. is the best value for the money. (i never test, but if you read the Thread of Zed r24... this console promise quality and all in one product
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

Even a Mackie can be an asset to ITB guys. No latency monitering that you can use effects on while tracking. Plenty of faders for mixing, easy patch points for real comps. It's a workflow thing first, and even cheapo mixers can have decent sonics if you use them right.
Old 27th April 2011
Yup, I mix on a Mackie 1604. Love it. Beats the pants off mixing completely ITB.
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Nut

I've got two old Studiomaster Consoles. One from the late 70s and one from the mid 80s (they used to belong to my dad's band back in the days). I use them for tracking and have recently started to setup a hybrid mix situation.
I love the sound.
You can get used Studiomasters at the bay for a reasonable price.
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Addict

Im interested in this thread, too. I've been gradually adding more outboard and doing the hybrid thing. I'd like to use a mixer for compressor inserts and the ability to buss without more conversions in and out. (compress/eq the snare and kick on each channel then send to a drum buss and compress that, etc.)

So for someone mixing who only needs non-destructive signal routing (don't care about eq's or summing benefits, etc., what would do the trick? The 1604 seems like a good option. I've heard bad things about it too, though.
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Guru

Soundcraft Delta is definitely an asset. Even the pres sound very nice and musical. Saw the last 24ch with 4 band eq's and 6 auxes go for £365. Impossible to beat I reckon for a well sounding desk with separate channel strip modules and also plenty upgradability......
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Soundcraft Delta is definitely an asset. Even the pres sound very nice and musical. Saw the last 24ch with 4 band eq's and 6 auxes go for £365. Impossible to beat I reckon for a well sounding desk with separate channel strip modules and also plenty upgradability......
And even better is the Delta is very moddable and parts are cheap and abundant. It lacks some of the routing of a full blow studio console but that's never gotten in my way.

The eq kills with the Jim Williams mods
Old 27th April 2011
Here for the gear

I was looking at the Mackie Onyx 16ch for tracking. certainly an upgrade from the Behringer.
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Addict

I scored two Ramsa WR-8616 consoles. One for $250, one for $300. Excellent sonics, good workflow...I love it. WAY better than Behringer.
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear
I have an old late 70's Dynamix 24-8-2 and an Allen & Heath ZED420. The Dynamix is a fantastic console to mix on, I recently finished mixing a three-track demo on it.
If you don't mind scratchy pots, it's a fantastic console nonetheless.
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5TO36 View Post
Saffire pro 40
your saffire has better quality then eurorack. I will suggest you to stick with saffire and dont buy another cheap mixer to ruin your sound and money!

Yamaha O1V can work for you at some low price!

Final advice: get yourself at least Audient or Toft Audio when you will have at least Prism Orpheus.
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear

The older Soundcraft and Soundtracs mixers are pretty good if you can find one in good condition. If you can add one or two good outboard preamps for your main tracking, and use a mixer for the other less critical channels it could be a good solution. Plus mixers are handy for monitoring.
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaron View Post
Im interested in this thread, too. I've been gradually adding more outboard and doing the hybrid thing. I'd like to use a mixer for compressor inserts and the ability to buss without more conversions in and out. (compress/eq the snare and kick on each channel then send to a drum buss and compress that, etc.)

So for someone mixing who only needs non-destructive signal routing (don't care about eq's or summing benefits, etc., what would do the trick? The 1604 seems like a good option. I've heard bad things about it too, though.
The I/O plugin in your DAW will continue to perform this function with no need for you to buy additional hardware.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search