The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help Updgrading Monitors
Old 26th April 2011
Gear Maniac
Help Updgrading Monitors

Current Monitors: M-Audio BX5a + SBX10

I'm looking to upgrade to a pair of speakers that offer more clarity for precise mixing and mastering on a budget. I made of list below of my likely choices. Hopefully, any of these considerations will do well with the SBX10 Subwower, by which I plan to set a 50Hz Crossover.

Any experience and advice would be much appreciated.

Considerations:
M-Audio CX5
M-Audio DSM3
Digidesign RM1
JBL LSR4326P
Yamaha HS80M
Old 26th April 2011
Gear Head

If you're looking to step up your monitoring situation on a budget, buy a decent small amplifier (150 watts or less) and a set of these. AR18 BXi

I've been using my pair for a few years, they sound great, translate well, and you can still get replacement parts for them. They were studio standard speakers before NS10s became popular. I prefer them to NS10s in every way/shape/form. They're also a sealed cabinet so they're punchy as hell, and they still reach low enough that a 50hz crossover would work just fine. I use them without a sub.

Heres a picture. I put mine sideways because they sit just a little too tall on the riser when vertical.

(this is all my opinion of course)

Last edited by chicagoisonfire; 26th April 2011 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: adding info
Old 26th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Before you start asking for anyone's opinions I think you need to look at the reason as to why you think you need new monitors. I have heard good things about the BX5a's and you should be getting enough bottom end from the sub. If I had to do it again I would not go the subwoofer route because I think it actually gave me a false sense of security when it came to the bottom end of my mixes (mixing rock/metal) even though I tuned my sub (A KRK RP-10s) to pickup where my monitors (KRK Rokit RP5's) left off using a measurement mic and tuning hardware.

If I was considering new monitors I would probably go the 8" route, ditch the sub and go a little higher end than what I have. I would be considering:

KRK VXT-8's
Mackie HR824 MKII
Yamaha HS80M's
Tannoy Precision 8's

Any higher than this and you would be in the Genelec/Focal/Dynaudio realm of cost.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 26th April 2011
Gear Maniac

I don't think mastering monitors and the word budget shouldn't be used in the same sentence to be honest. In that price range for mixing I would put the Dynaudio BM5a and Adam A7 in the list.
Old 26th April 2011
Lives for gear

how are the acoustics of your room? is it well treated?

without a good room, you are just wasting your money.
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Maniac
The room currently isn't treated, but I'm reading up on how to do so now. I just want to lock in a few deals that I'm seeing recently. For example, I found pair of m-Audio DSM3 for $900. That's halfprice, but I still wonder what I will gain on the med and high frequency in terms od quality and clarity.
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Maniac

I'm with takman, you will get more bang for your buck with room treatment first - especially if you are using a sub. Do your homework in the acoustic forum first, then approach the monitor question.
Old 27th April 2011
Jai guru deva om

I agree, I would not even think about new speakers without treating the room (correctly) and experimenting with implementing the sub you have (correctly). If you like the speakers overall, I bet they would work out fine in the right environment then.

Both of those are major issues with clarity, and phase relationships (you can't just stick a sub in a convenient spot and start mixing with accurate results, placement must be considered as well as how you have it crossed over, etc).

War
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post
The room currently isn't treated, but I'm reading up on how to do so now. I just want to lock in a few deals that I'm seeing recently. For example, I found pair of m-Audio DSM3 for $900. That's halfprice, but I still wonder what I will gain on the med and high frequency in terms od quality and clarity.
You can have the best speakers in the world.....but if your room isnt treated......its not going to do you any good.

I have the M-audio BX8Adeluxe set. After i treated my room, the monitors sounded so much better. Like i had just upgraded to better monitors.

Studios dont spend a lot of time and money on room design and acoustics for nothing.

Room treatment is just one aspect. Where you place them in the room, having them setup correctly ( equilateral triangle), the height they sitting at etc...is important as well.

I dont run a sub, but i can tell form reading here...that if not placed properly, a sub can do more harm then good.
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post

I dont run a sub, but i can tell form reading here...that if not placed properly, a sub can do more harm then good.
yup! and they're quite hard to set up properly without measurement equipment.. very rare to see one that 'blends in' with the sound as it should. but... if you just want to impress rappers its another story

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search