The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is battery power clean power?
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Guru

as far as I know, modern circuitry can have DC to DC Switchmode Converters all over the place. because they switch, they produce waves closer to squares then sine waves.. then they have to be filtered.. even then they tend to have ripple.. so it all still depends on good design.

inverting DC to power an AC front end from a battery array is another issue I guess.

If something took 12 volts after it's AC power conversion and you could tap into that with the right regulated or unregulated supply, then I guess those parts (could) perform well. but it depends if there are subsequent switchmode converters and good design.

other than that, I'm not sure why a battery based initial power source could necessarily always be said to be better.

I keep seeing the electrical industry talking about (supplying) the grid.
I'd have thought you'd need a two way cable system of some kind to feed back into any major power distribution system.

my understanding is that what they actually do is, let you use naturally produced energy from your solar/wind system in your own energy consumption scheme, then ramp the costs up to compensate themselves for any loss.

you don't think the energy sector is going to lose control of power generation now do you !! ?

actually feeding it back into a grid might be easier in the US as they have a lot of overhead power lines for the final leg.. thats not the case in many other countries though.. the UK final legs are mostly underground.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search