The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do I reference for this mix?
Old 25th April 2011
Lives for gear

What do I reference for this mix?

Hey yall.

I'm in the process of developing a solid working relationship with a very established production company in my home country which could potentially be a significant breakthrough both for my facility and our staff. It would also be very beneficial for me as I would be mixing a lot more and doing sales a lot less ;-).

I'm content with the kind of material they normally deal with, which is mostly pop-rock and r&b-pop kind of thing but there's a downside. It's that there's still a huge market for this outdated, redundant and unexciting kind of 'romantic pop' or whatever the **** you call this ****, that's been around for decades and doesn't seem to want to die a death already . And the company deals with a few artists in the genre as well, which means I'll have to mix songs like the one attached every once on a while.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could listen to the demo and maybe point me in the direction of a good reference sound-wise. I can't think of any and the thought of mixing this crap without at least a decent reference to challenge and inspire me in the process makes me wanna shoot myself in the head...

Any help would be highly appreciated as always...
Attached Files

ProBab [DMO].mp3 (2.25 MB, 920 views)

Old 25th April 2011
Gear Addict

...oooooof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshSkweez View Post
Hey yall.

I'm in the process of developing a solid working relationship with a very established production company in my home country which could potentially be a significant breakthrough both for my facility and our staff. It would also be very beneficial for me as I would be mixing a lot more and doing sales a lot less ;-).

I'm content with the kind of material they normally deal with, which is mostly pop-rock and r&b-pop kind of thing but there's a downside. It's that there's still a huge market for this outdated, redundant and unexciting kind of 'romantic pop' or whatever the **** you call this ****, that's been around for decades and doesn't seem to want to die a death already . And the company deals with a few artists in the genre as well, which means I'll have to mix songs like the one attached every once on a while.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could listen to the demo and maybe point me in the direction of a good reference sound-wise. I can't think of any and the thought of mixing this crap without at least a decent reference to challenge and inspire me in the process makes me wanna shoot myself in the head...

Any help would be highly appreciated as always...
Tough one. i can think of NOTHING to reference, so what i'd do is do one of two things, make a mix that you think is what they'd want OR **** 'em and make a mix that is how you'd do this and then see what happens.
Old 26th April 2011
Gear Maniac

This is not all that different than a lot of the Tejano music that was on the radio when I lived in Texas. Maybe look into some of those groups.
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

I'm starting mixing tomorrow and I thought maybe you guys could help me out with this one.
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Head

Buena Vista Social Club?

(Not identical but possibly similar enough to draw some ideas)?

Recent stuff by Julio Iglesias?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search