The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tracking all instruments on my own: HELP!!
Old 27th April 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic View Post
How I usually do it:

1. Scratch guitar/vocal to click track
2. Drums
3. Acoustics
4. Bass
5. Everything else

Works for me!
Nice one!
I assume you ditch the scratch track once you have recorded everything else??
Old 27th April 2011
Deleted User
Thanks to everyone for their input.
I think its one of those things where every track will need a different situation. Whenever i hear people say they record everything them selves it seems to be singer songwriter sort of folks. From the messing around i have done the following seems to work for me.

1) record electric guitar to a programmed drum beat.
2) overdub the real drums.(rather than monitor the guitar through headphones, i play it through a PA speaker to help create i live feeling!!)
3) i may re record guitar part to real drums if nessaccery
4) record everything else

Cheers
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

I've been doing this for quite some time myself.

In the early days I tracked a preset from my trusty Alexis SR16 and then replaced it with fake drums. Not so good.

These days I always start with a click track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sound View Post
Why use a click track at all? If you're more concerned with keeping things loose and can keep pretty good time on your own
Well....I have found that the click is like home base. I can always find it and come back to it. Those who have sampled my humble offerings can attest to the fact that I am generally all over the place. But, quite honestly, that is by design these days.

On my last project, however, I started with an electric guitar that was tracked through an analog delay pedal. That strong rhthym was all I needed.
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Vogel View Post
I do like that.
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Head

I guess it all depends on you perspective. I am primarily a drummer, and I'm really into the whole "one-man-band" thing, because I'm too busy with other stuff to really be in a band right now. I find that I really like to track other stuff first, then play the drums to that, because then I feel like a drummer playing with a band. Also, I'm kind of weak on some of the other instruments, so I'd like to have as few distractions sound-wise while tracking those. I use a click when doing this, although a tune I'm working on now does have a rubato (loosely timed) section at the head of it, I'm still not sure whether to just play it along with the click (and ignore it) or try to do something else.

As far as what the OP is trying to do, having a drum machine that is trigger-able by a foot switch is IMO a great idea. That way, you lay down your scratch guitar track, get the sound and vibe you want in the loosely timed parts, then you can decide where you want the beat to come in, just record on separate tracks, you can get rid of the drum machine track when you're done (and decide whether you want to keep your scratch guitar track or do another one).
Old 28th April 2011
Here for the gear

To get the most natural live band feel try this....
get your real drum sound.
get your guitar sound.
put a mattress or beanbag or something soft on floor behind kit.
sit at kit with guitar.
press record and play guitar.
when the drums are ready to come in throw guitar on mattress and play drums without losing the groove.
repeat until good take.
overdub the rest of guitar (preferably also with drum mics on, assigned to new tracks)

this is simple, fun, real and when it works it can be magic !

(one time I did this and the guitar fed back and fizzed on its own and gave an eerie undertone to the drum mix, very cool)

enjoy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search