The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Radar!!
Old 24th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Radar!!

Ok here's the deal, I'm a young engineer who's been using daws since I started recording (sonar and pro tools) but now I've been offered the chance to loan a radar system with a view to buying it if I like it!

I'm really excited about this and can't wait to do it, I like to almost use pro tools and a tape machine and console by insisting on good performances and as such keeping editing to a minimum.

Is there anything radar will offer that pro tools doesn't? Does it have it's own sound? Is there any drawbacks to it?

Pete
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear
You must have a console to use radar....to that in a given.

Radar is a great unit, particularly if you want the recording experience of analog in the digital world.

That said, I have learned to run a session on PT so that it isn't an impediment to speed, so I am a little baffled when someone touts that as a reason to use Radar. At this point, its six of one and half dozen of another. Use what you are comfortable with.
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear

sound + reliability
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
You must have a console to use radar....
noooo
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrecording View Post
Is there anything radar will offer that pro tools doesn't?
sound quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrecording View Post
Is there any drawbacks to it?
it's only a multitrack, not a full blown DAW
Old 24th April 2011
MLM
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
noooo

I can't figure this out. How?

Lanois has a nice setup with external preamps into the radar, but it goes in a console eventually.
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear

Even if you end up back in Pro Tools, just the RADAR converters are considered to be pretty much the best converters out there, so you'll get something for your money either way.
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
noooo

And you are monitoring how???
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
Even if you end up back in Pro Tools, just the RADAR converters are considered to be pretty much the best converters out there, so you'll get something for your money either way.
Radar does sound great. But you can buy those converters as a stand alone if you want.

Radar is a great piece. When I used to run a console and MX2424 I was convinces that a PTHD session would be clumsy and prone to crashes. But I also know that after a long time with PTHD there is no latency, a crash every three or four months, and the ability work every bit as quickly.

Uf the choice was any kind of DAW subject to latency, Radar wins in a walk. If its Radar Vs PTHD in my book its a toss depending on your individual systems and working preferences.

Just another opinion....
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear

there is nothing RADAR's do that pro tools doesnt except for real time vary speed like a tape machine.
other than that it is just a 24 track Random Access Digital Audio Recorder.
RADAR.

the RADAR forces you to work in a different manner than a DAW, which can be good or bad depending on how you approach production.

the RADAR will sound great and is as solid as any recording format in the world.
if you like tape machines, you will like the RADAR.

editing is WAY faster in a DAW.

i use both for their strengths.
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
noooo
ummmmmm,
actually......................
YES.

please explain to me how you would go about recording with just a RADAR and no console????
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear

Digital out from the radar into your DAW. Monitor stereo out from your DAW.
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDingo View Post

Wouldn't that introduce a ton of latency? Especially when tracking? How would you set up cuemixes? Just curious....
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
ummmmmm,
actually......................
YES.

please explain to me how you would go about recording with just a RADAR and no console????

out via ADAT

http://www.izcorp.com/accessories-digitalio.php#adat

in to my PC

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_9652.php

...DAW

works great. Sure RADAR ADA is available now, but you can buy a used RADAR much cheaper like I did.
I do have a console but it only gets used like 25% of the time and only when I use my Otari
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
well, yes, but at that point you arent recording to the RADAR, you are just using it as converters.

you cannot record to the RADAR hard drive without a console for monitoring.

also, unless you have a DAW that does low latency monitoring somehow, you will have to deal with that also................
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Well I guess you could do it one of two ways. Use the Radar as a converter and record to your DAW, or record to Radar's hard drive and just monitor the outputs through your DAW. Don't know why you would, but you could.

-R
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Ok, but...

Quote:
out via ADAT

iZ Technology Corporation | Accessories: Digital I/O

in to my PC

RME: Hammerfall DSP 9652

...DAW

works great. Sure RADAR ADA is available now, but you can buy a used RADAR much cheaper like I did.
I do have a console but it only gets used like 25% of the time and only when I use my Otari
Yes, you can work that way, but that's not really working on Radar per se. The op was asking about the experience of actually working on Radar as a standalone system not as a passthrough. The remote is one of Radar's great strengths, as you really don't have to stare at a screen, hold a mouse, search thru menus, etc.
Old 3rd May 2011
Gear Guru

The way you describe your work flow, you might really love the RADAR. I use mine just like I use the tape deck, and I'm happy as a clam.
Old 3rd May 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis View Post
Yes, you can work that way, but that's not really working on Radar per se.
true, but many people use RADAR this way. This is one reason why IZ now manufactures ADA units.

Quote:
The op was asking about the experience of actually working on Radar as a standalone system not as a passthrough.
yes, right... but I was replying to someones post that said RADAR only works with a console...which is false

Quote:
The remote is one of Radar's great strengths, as you really don't have to stare at a screen, hold a mouse, search thru menus, etc.
yeah... agreed

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search