The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need a 4 ch preamp...
Old 23rd April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachy View Post
yep, the vintech 473 is out of my budget, and also the phoenix, here in italy is 2800 euros
Really? That's how much they are new? My currency calc says that 2800 euro is the same as 3871 canadian dollars... Damn... I paid only 2200 (1500 euro) for my 473 used (and it was practically brand new) so I'm only assuming that a new one wouldn't be far off the used price I paid...
Old 23rd April 2011
Gear Addict

I also think you should definitely consider a Sebatron vmp4000. A seriously great and versatile preamp. I've only got a single channel version at the moment but I'm going to have to sell it and get a four channel one before to long. I love it on almost everything: vocals, electric and acoustic guitars, all kinds of steel string acoustic instruments, drums, synths the works. The only thing it is not amazing at is recording very very quiet sources with a low output mic (eg a Royer 121 on lute didn't work for me too well). Everything else rocks.
Old 23rd April 2011
The 428 is an awesome allrounder. There's nothing to hate on this unit. Indeed the 828 is not much more expensive. I own that and use the SSL alpha on a regular basis. Do't really care for that one. Slightly (but just a nosehair) more clean than the ISA without VHD. I don't like the VHD in settings beyond 10 o'clock. On the preamps you gave us to choose from; go for the ISA.
Old 23rd April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsty View Post
I also think you should definitely consider a Sebatron vmp4000. A seriously great and versatile preamp. I've only got a single channel version at the moment but I'm going to have to sell it and get a four channel one before to long. I love it on almost everything: vocals, electric and acoustic guitars, all kinds of steel string acoustic instruments, drums, synths the works. The only thing it is not amazing at is recording very very quiet sources with a low output mic (eg a Royer 121 on lute didn't work for me too well). Everything else rocks.
Why it's not amazing for quiet source? becouse it's a bit noisy?
Old 23rd April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rene-lemieux View Post
Really? That's how much they are new? My currency calc says that 2800 euro is the same as 3871 canadian dollars... Damn... I paid only 2200 (1500 euro) for my 473 used (and it was practically brand new) so I'm only assuming that a new one wouldn't be far off the used price I paid...

The phoenix price is 2420 euros plus vat, intotal 2904 euros

The vintech is 2755 vat included

The sebatron is really cheap, becouse if I going to buy it, I go directly from the factory, without passing from dealers.....in italy prices are to f..loud....
Old 23rd April 2011
Gear Addict

Also, I forget to mention what kind of music I'm producing, 80% rock/metal/death metal bands, the rest is a bit of pop and some acoustic music.
So I record mostly loud sources.
Old 23rd April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Why it's not amazing for quiet source? becouse it's a bit noisy?
Yeah, but only a bit - for most acoustic things like acoustic guitar, violin etc it is fine. And electric guitars and loud sources are no problem at all. For rock/metal and some acoustic stuff you will no hassles with noise. I just wanted to let you know the one thing where it is not perfect, if that makes any sense. Still my favourite preamp for nearly everything!
Old 23rd April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsty View Post
Yeah, but only a bit - for most acoustic things like acoustic guitar, violin etc it is fine. And electric guitars and loud sources are no problem at all. For rock/metal and some acoustic stuff you will no hassles with noise. I just wanted to let you know the one thing where it is not perfect, if that makes any sense. Still my favourite preamp for nearly everything!
Yes, I think it's normal a bit of noise at higer gain settings, but it's not my case, I always record with lot of headroom.
Old 24th April 2011
Company Rep

[QUOTE=Tachy;6573566]The phoenix price is 2420 euros plus vat, intotal 2904 euros

Thats quite a good price, the €/$ exchange rate is really working in your favour at the moment. If you want to try this unit, I'm sure the guys at Funky Junk in either Milano or Roma would be happy to lend you the unit as I know they have them over there, then you can find out whether its worth stretching the budget. Whether its better or worse than the units mentioned by others for your material you'll have to tell me, sonically its quite flexible due to the transformer-less input stage and can achieve a variety of sounds from fairly clean to fairly overdriven sound with the aid of the class A output stage and our custom wound transformer.

Warhead is quite right to say that our unit isn't that 'Neve-ish' I think the fact that our designers have a legacy with Neve and we mention this somewhere on the site and the red knobs. The unit is a completely unique design and when people try it they often remark it actually sounds quite different than a Neve !

Any questions, always happy to help

[email protected]
Old 24th April 2011
i have two sebatron vmp4000e .
best four channel pre out there in my opinion. thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 24th April 2011
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=xavi;6575602]
Quote:
The phoenix price is 2420 euros plus vat, intotal 2904 euros

Thats quite a good price, the €/$ exchange rate is really working in your favour at the moment. If you want to try this unit, I'm sure the guys at Funky Junk in either Milano or Roma would be happy to lend you the unit as I know they have them over there, then you can find out whether its worth stretching the budget. Whether its better or worse than the units mentioned by others for your material you'll have to tell me, sonically its quite flexible due to the transformer-less input stage and can achieve a variety of sounds from fairly clean to fairly overdriven sound with the aid of the class A output stage and our custom wound transformer.

Warhead is quite right to say that our unit isn't that 'Neve-ish' I think the fact that our designers have a legacy with Neve and we mention this somewhere on the site and the red knobs. The unit is a completely unique design and when people try it they often remark it actually sounds quite different than a Neve !

Any questions, always happy to help

[email protected]
Thanks for this reply, really helpful.
Old 24th April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Lindsey View Post
i have two sebatron vmp4000e .
best four channel pre out there in my opinion. thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Good to know it, the sebatron have a really good reputation here!
Old 26th April 2011
Company Rep

[QUOTE=Tachy;6576435]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi View Post

Thanks for this reply, really helpful.
No problem, let me know if you have techie questions

[email protected]
Old 26th April 2011
Many options... I don't know what the price is over there, but the John Hardy M1 four-channel preamp is $2750 USD and is a phenomenal unit, I've used it for metal/hard rock stuff and it's truly killer. The Focusrite 428 or 828 or Daking IV are very good units, but have a different sound (I prefer the John Hardy myself, others like the Trident-esque Daking). I'd consider selling the SPL to fund the purchase...

Another option is to go 500-series and get 4 channels of API 512-style preamps. That's a whole different can of worms, but there are many options there.
Old 26th April 2011
ST.
Gear Addict

I have the 428 and like it as well. It runs a little hot, so be sure to take care of it (by leaving rack spaces open, shutting it off when not in use, etc). I haven't tried most of the other options though... but the 428 has perfectly clean gain all the way up and down.

I noticed an above poster mentioned VU meters on the 428-- the 428 has very nice VU meters as well as some LED meters. The mkii, as far as I know, has only LED meters. Also the mkii does not feature the soft limiter (for digital recording) that the original does. I'm sure there are some other differences as well. I'd make sure to understand those before diving in as to not be negatively surprised.

Also, to me the the big thing about the 428 is its digital aspect. Unfortunately that comes at a high price. There is an AD card that is purchased separately which allows for digital recording of the 4 mic preamps as well as 4 more mic preamps (which can be input into the 4 XLR inputs in the rear of the piece). There are 4 extra LED meters for that on the front.

So the 428 is more than just a simple 4 channel pre... whether you need all that extra stuff is up to you though.
Old 26th April 2011
Gear Head

You really can’t go wrong with a Focusrite ISA 428. Build quality is amazing and the sound won’t get in your way. I use my 828 almost every single day for something. I also love the versatility (and sound) of my Focusrite Liquid4Pre.
Old 26th April 2011
Gear Addict

My friend has a 428 which I used for a remote recording amongst other pre amps. I was impressed with the clarity of the pre amp. A year later I ended up buying an 828 with a digital card thrown in for around $2800 Aus. The 828 does not have the nice metering but it is 8 channels plus digital card for almost the same price my friend got his 428 some years before. I am happy with the purchase, don't buy into the focusrite bashing that goes on here. Just try for yourself and then decide if its for you or not.
Old 28th April 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi guys I need a 4 channel preamp, my budget is from 1500 to 2000 euros.
I have now api a2d, an spl goldmike mk2 and a midas venice 24.
This is my option :

Focusrite isa 428 mk2
Ua 4-710 twin finity
ssl x logic alpha vhd pre

or an 8 ch audient asp 008

What's your opinion about those product?
Ciao,
I was looking for a 4 channels pre too and the UA 4-710 was really interesting for its features (tube/solid sate; dynamics 1176 style on each channel).. at the end I found an SSL VHD and a Sytek (1 week later) both used but in great shape... My opinion is that SSL is quite thicker than the Sytek, but sytek is faster & detailed (need more time get confident with them both).. so depend on what you're looking for: thicknes & detail get a Vintech, I oun a dual72 and is great.. or with your budget consider a pair of Telefunken V672 (best pre ever for the budget for me) ...
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rene-lemieux View Post
Has nobody mentioned Vintech 473?
+2 on the vintech

Also, I like the isa pre. I have 2 of them
Old 22nd July 2011
Quote:
The Problem of sebatron and Sytek is that I can't find one here, and can not try it.....
Just buy the Sebatron, you will be walking round the control room with the biggest woody when you hear what it can do. It's like sex.......with tubes..........or something............just buy one!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search