The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Summing mixers that suck!! Mixers (Analog)
Old 16th April 2011
Gear Head
Summing mixers that suck!!

It seems that so many of you are in love with summing mixers.
So, what are you all using?
And, is there a piece that you thought just sucked? I haven't heard anyone commenting about a negative experience with these things.
Ok, don't say Behringer or Mackie or something cheap like that.
Old 16th April 2011
Gear Addict

I'm using a lynx aurora going into a dangerous d-box. I was going to go with the SSL summing box, but......found out I needed special cables and it would only fit in a mynx, seemed like a headache. The dbox gave me summing and monitoring for less. I'm very pleased with my mixes from it.
Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear

I'm using a Fat Bustard. It is far from sucking.
Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle View Post
I'm using a Fat Bustard. It is far from sucking.
Is the improvment with the fat bustard pretty obvious ???
lot of color?
does it add weight to your sound ?

thanks for sharing your point of view

Sergio
Old 16th April 2011
Gear Maniac

I'm loving my BLA PM-8. It gives me 3 options...

True Bypass Outputs: Very clear, open, and detailed
Transformerless Line Driver Outputs: Very big, dynamic and punchy, like an SSL
Transformer Outputs: Warm, smooth, lush, vintage analog console quality like a Neve or API

I think it's the best bang-for-the-buck summing mixer out there for guys like me who are on a tight budget
Old 17th April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinAudio View Post
I'm loving my BLA PM-8. It gives me 3 options...

True Bypass Outputs: Very clear, open, and detailed
Transformerless Line Driver Outputs: Very big, dynamic and punchy, like an SSL
Transformer Outputs: Warm, smooth, lush, vintage analog console quality like a Neve or API

I think it's the best bang-for-the-buck summing mixer out there for guys like me who are on a tight budget

How do you usually route it? i mean, do you usually use it by grouping your mix thru it or do you process the tracks? Thanks
Old 17th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubemol View Post
How do you usually route it? i mean, do you usually use it by grouping your mix thru it or do you process the tracks? Thanks
I create different buses that I send to each of the PM8's 8 different inputs. So drums will go through PM8 ch1&2, vocals through ch3, bass through ch4, etc etc.
If I'm working on a small acoustic session with no more than 8 tracks, I leave the tracks in ProTools at 0db, panned center, and set all levels and panning on the PM8.
Old 19th April 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks man, that's how I've been doing too. I just got the VCC from Slate Digital so now I'm wondering what will be the best way to use both. I guess drums, vocals and bass goes to PM8 and the rest to the VCC. or not...if someone have aleready made some experiments please let us know.
Old 27th April 2011
Here for the gear

!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Is the improvment with the fat bustard pretty obvious ???
lot of color?
does it add weight to your sound ?

thanks for sharing your point of view

Sergio

Definitely! The best feature on it has to be the "Attitude." I also love the Pultec-style eQ on it (with boost and attenuation)... if you're in the box like me, the moment you output your stems to the Bustard, it opens up your mix with clarity and ummph! even with eQ and attitude bypassed.
It's colored... but not very colored until you start to drive things... you can run it pretty hot! and it'll still be very pleasing.
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikesPeak View Post
It seems that so many of you are in love with summing mixers.
So, what are you all using?
And, is there a piece that you thought just sucked? I haven't heard anyone commenting about a negative experience with these things.
Ok, don't say Behringer or Mackie or something cheap like that.
Well, for me, summing is mostly like an effect.

To keep myself honest, I usually do two final mixes. One strictly ITB and the other summed using the X-desk.
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarthp View Post
I'm using a lynx aurora going into a dangerous d-box. I was going to go with the SSL summing box, but......found out I needed special cables and it would only fit in a mynx, seemed like a headache. The dbox gave me summing and monitoring for less. I'm very pleased with my mixes from it.
+1..
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear
Anyone see the new SSL X Panda that just came out? I almost bought a dangerous box, but I only usually sum stuff brought in from someone elses place or virtual synths using a few pres I have in my lunchbox...mostly api or neve flavor a few at a time or just the final mix going into to neve flavor pres..
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear

I had a Dangerous LT for a while. I loved breaking the mixes out into it, always seemed to be an improvement from what was going on itb. What I like most about summing boxes is that you don't have to mix based off their criteria. You can bend the rules a bit because it's analog and a whole lot more euphonic and less linear. Itb, I always feel like I have to watch fader levels and create a new starting point so that I hit the 2bus a certain way so there's no digital nonsense going on. I feel like I can hear digital distortion from a mile away and while 24bits technically have more dynamic range than anything analog, it will never feel that way. Back to the original topic, I didn't keep the dangerous, but it had nothing to do with sonics. I chose to buy a house drumset for my studio with the money along with a few other things. Too many kids were coming in with worn heads, improper tuning that would take too long to get right, etc...owning my own kit meant I could tune it a few hours before they got there, set it up myself and they could just move things around to their liking before I mic up. So for me, while I still wish I had summing, I feel I made the right move, especially since I knew enough about mixing itb that I could get close.
Old 28th April 2011
More cowbell!

Midas Venice 320

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search