The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
On a budget of $4700, this is what I need. Suggestions? Condenser Microphones
Old 15th April 2011
Gear Head

On a budget of $4700, this is what I need. Suggestions?

Let me preface this post by saying that I will be buying USED gear from Craigslist/Ebay. No new equipment because I most likely will be upgrading in the future and do not want to lose money on the purchases. Considering that I am a haggler, please discount around 30-40 percent off of certain pieces of equipment, up to 50 on mics in factoring cost of used equipment. This might not be completely realistic, but I can scrounge the extra cash if need be.

Also, keep in mind the sound that I am going for. Obviously, it's a bit lo-fi and could probably be done well on just about anything, but that doesn't mean that I need to sacrifice warmth and character. I would also like the ability to do hi-fi recordings as well anyway. Here's some samples:

YouTube - Casilofi - Create, Create, Create
YouTube - 40 Day Dream by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
YouTube - Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. - Nothing But Our Love [Official Music Video]
YouTube - M.Ward - Here Comes The Sun Again.

I'm doing a complete gear rehaul. Basically, I need a warm sound that sonically can get me the closest to an analog tape feel. I know this might get some flak from some of the people on the forum, but I apologize. I really don't want to deal with the hassle of reel-to-reel or the extra cost. Sorry.

P.S. I'm using a Mac! If that makes any difference in your gear suggestions.

What I need:

- At least a dual channel preamp or channel strip. If a preamp is a suggestion instead, I will need an EQ and compressor as well. I'll need the compressor regardless because I will be doing at least two drum tracks through the interface.
- A Firewire 400 capable interface.
- A pair of condenser mics that can be used well with vocals AND acoustic instruments. I've heard the KSM44A is a steal. (Found one for $500 on CL).
- Drum mic suggestions (I have two SM57s already. Keep that in mind.)
- Monitors
- Compressor.

I'm kind of new here, but I'd appreciate any help or insight anyone can offer. If anyone has any suggestions regarding other equipment I might need, I am more than open to changes. Thanks so much everyone!

Last edited by istealhotelsoap; 15th April 2011 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: Information left out.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search