The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio Time - How much to charge?
Old 14th April 2011
Lives for gear

Studio Time - How much to charge?

I'd like to charge hourly starting at around 50/hour, minimum of 3 hour booking.

My usual income is teaching, which I charge anywhere between 50-120 an hour depending on if it's at my studio or on-location.

What do the "big" studios charge?

I didn't skimp on gear but more than the gear, I feel my engineering skills are up there. Also, I have experience in multi-genres, can play just about a dozen instruments, would be wearing multiple hats(ie. producer, engineer, vocal/music coach, etc.)

My absolute MAIN concern though is making sure my price is high enough that I don't attract anyone who's NOT serious.. and potentially risky to bring into my home. That's actually been the main reason I haven't publicly advertised my services. I may keep it that way as well, perhaps, just network with musicians and hand-pick the ones I want to work with.

I don't necessarily plan on relying on studio services to keep me afloat from drowning in bills. Teaching is sufficient. But I'd like to expand the work I do as well as make "some" money off of my high-end facility and skill sets.

Is there anyone who is pretty much on the same page as I?

Travelling this path already? How's it going for you?

Kind regards,
Dey
Old 14th April 2011
Thats about right. I dont usually record allot anymore, as I mostly do mixing and mastering now for flat rates. But a few times a year, ill record a band to keep my chops up and i charge $65 an hour, not inlcuding set up. Set up is on me, as i can take a bit getting all the mic placements correct. Especially the drums (im anal).
But after i do the sound checks and level checks, i start the clock
Old 14th April 2011
Gear Guru

Price will not stop risky people from entering your home. I suggest if you're worried about that, that you only take known client referrals. Anything else is risky IMO. There have been many home studio's in the So Cal area robbed at gunpoint. I suspect it will only get worse, but I don't want to personally find out.

As for your rate, sounds good. $50-85 an hour seems to be a good rate - especially if you're providing studio, playing yourself, engineering, producing, etc.
Old 14th April 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Thats about right. I dont usually record allot anymore, as I mostly do mixing and mastering now for flat rates. But a few times a year, ill record a band to keep my chops up and i charge $65 an hour, not inlcuding set up. Set up is on me, as i can take a bit getting all the mic placements correct. Especially the drums (im anal).
But after i do the sound checks and level checks, i start the clock
IMO, setup is the MAIN part of the work. I charge 100% rate for setup from the moment they step thru the door. That's just the way I feel about it. I'd rather charge for setup and record for free than vice versa. Of course, I actually believe in getting paid for both. heh heh
Old 14th April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
IMO, setup is the MAIN part of the work. I charge 100% rate for setup from the moment they step thru the door. That's just the way I feel about it. I'd rather charge for setup and record for free than vice versa. Of course, I actually believe in getting paid for both. heh heh
Likewise, I also don't do less than half a day. With set up and take down time nothing ever takes less than half a day so why offer it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search