The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Massive Lynx fail!
Old 13th April 2011
Lives for gear

Massive Lynx fail!

How are other people's dealings with Lynx ?

So far mine have been far from positive .

I originally contacted them with a question about how to connect my three AD8000 to a mac pro for pro tools 9 to use with AES.

They told me I needed to buy two aes16e and it would work fine , only after buying the cards did they tell me that that their drivers were recognised as 32 I/O on pro tools so you could only effectively run one lynx card at a time .
I was pretty annoyed at this , so they offered to give me some drivers to test . The drivers crashed my system and the de installers would not work . After several hours of them trying to remotely control my computer and fix it from their computers , I was told they couldn't do it .

I had to wipe my entire system and re install . Pretty lame .

The last time I emailed to get an ETA on the new drivers I got no reply .

It's been a couple of months now , and I advertise my studio as a 24 track , though due to lynx is currently a 16 , is is a bad look when I have to explain to people .

Would like to know other peoples experiences ?

Should I cut my loses and buy RME ?
Old 13th April 2011
Lives for gear

You are going to hear good and bad stories about every company; I guess this shows Lynx is no exception.

My experience with Lynx customer service was very positive. I bought a used Lynx Two A, and there were some issues with the firmware (prior user had been a Mac person, I'm a PC). Lynx sorted me out just great.

I think that if you keep on politely seeking their help and explaining to them how this problem is really affecting you, they will do their best to solve your problem. I just don't see them as the "screw you, you're on your own" type of company. At least, that's not what I experienced.
Old 13th April 2011
Lives for gear

Hi There,

I feel sorry for you.
But my opinion about Lynx is very good.
I recently had a technical isue when conncting the Aurora device to the AES16e card.
There was not a connection being established.
Allthough I am here in Europe we did a live connection via internet to figure out what went wrong.
Just be patient and most of all clear what the problem is and they'll help you at any time with all the time there is needed.

greetz,

Paul
Old 13th April 2011
Gear Addict

i think you should buy a rme...

had hell with a lynx aes16 on different systems,
finally brought it to work
after testing lots of different driver-versions..
was a real pita and lots of lost time...and if you check the right forums you'll see lots of people having such issues..
imo thats just not professional if a driver only works theoretically...
a freakin soundblaster works everywhere!

but rme seem to be masters in driver programming and totalmix is a different league!
Old 13th April 2011
Lives for gear

I really wish they would come out with new products with a lesser amount of analog I/O;s but in the interim my lynx two c still works and sounds fantastic.
rsp
Old 13th April 2011
Gear Maniac

I have a Lynx AES16e that I tried to run concurrently with an M-Audio delta 1010lt. I spent a day googling and trying different work-arounds but ultimately couldn't get them both to work at the same time (on a PC, not a Mac) and gave up. Seems like the AES16e doesn't want to play nice with anyone, including another AES16e!

I suppose it comes down to priorities for you. Is it more important to run a 24 track studio, or more important to run a studio with a Lynx aes16e? The aes format seems to be slightly favored, but there is hardly any sonic difference for tracking purposes between one digital format and another. Moving the mic 1" in any direction will make a bigger difference than using aes instead of tdif instead of adat instead of whatever.

If you feel locked into the Lynx cards you already bought, maybe look into getting a 2nd computer and streaming audio over LAN. I haven't done this, but I know there is discussion out there about how to do it. I guess the idea would be to use computer #1 as a host using Lynx card #1 and use computer #2 as a slave streaming the audio from Lynx#2 over a LAN connection into the host. You could clock the 2nd Lynx from the first. Latency and jitter might be factors though. There is a company called FX Max that has a product for streaming VST effects between computers, link is HERE, that site might be a good starting point. Also, there is a Gearslutz discussion HERE about audio over LAN.

Or, if you decide that you would rather have 24 tracks going in regardless of the name on the card, then think about selling or returning the Lynx cards and going RME.

Just my $.02
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Addict

As a long time Lynx and RME user, I have this to say. Please note that I'm strictly a PC guy.

RME was the first company to design a card that could truly take advantage of the ASIO driver protocol. That of course would be the venerable Hammerfall 9652. Since then, many companies have begun to close the gap. Lynx sorted out most of the Firmware and driver issues by 2007 and now Lynx and RME are both tops for native PC-based solutions.

No interfaces work well with others. Period. If you must run multiple cards, they should be from one manufacturer and of the same product family, using one driver which will support multiple instances of the hardware. If you require higher i/o counts, you might consider a MADI solution. If even this is not sufficient, then I'm afraid you may be forced to consider some of the traditional large-scale DSP solutions from Digidesign, Fairlight, etc.

Finally, while Pro Tools 9's support for third-party interfaces is attractive, I don't think that a 24 i/o AD8000 is a very typical setup. Of course I see the conundrum. If you're upgrading your Pro Tools Mix setup and wish to keep those sweet AD8000's in service, the HD Native card is hardly useful.

My only advice is this. Digidesign/Avid has traditionally not been very friendly toward those customers wishing to spend more than $2000, but less than $10,000. I suppose you could call this market segmentation. While this is slowly changing, I wouldn't hold your breath. Either mothball the third AD8000 and be happy with 16i/o, migrate away from Pro Tools, or be prepared to throw down some serious cash for an HD setup with legacy ports to hookup to the Digi+ cards in the AD8000's.

All of this is very frustrating I'm sure. But Lynx's drivers do support multiple cards. It is Avid that has imposed an artificial limit on the number of i/o. Again, consider the market segmentation concept. PT9 supports 32 i/o. PT9 HD Native supports 64 i/o. PT9 HD supports 96i/o.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

You must have your interfaces set up as an aggregate device in pro tools 9 to use more than one interface together. Check out the digi user conference on avid's site, it should explain it all.
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Maniac

I've been thru the same troubles using 2 AES16 cards (in fact one AES16 PCI card which reports correctly as a 16 INS - 16 OUTS, and a AES16e PCI Express card whith the odd 32 INS-32 OUTS even so only 16 where really available). Both cards worked perfectly well with SONAR or Reaper but with the limitation of 32 channels of PT9, there was the trouble as previous Lynx drivers does not allow to chose the channels reported to ProTools.

Install of the latest Lynx driver V19 cured this, restricting AES16e to the 16 INS - 16 OUTS that are really in use ; I only had to reboot once after driver install for the system to see the AES16e card again and then back to music. You should try to install the latest official Lynx driver.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

I'm so glad I'm rid of Lynx on the driver/audio interface side of things. The firewire interface for the Aurora was a nightmare, and the AES16 and AES16e I had didn't work that great either on my systems. Now I'm using RME for the digital side and am 100% happy with it, and Lynx for the converters only.
Old 1st June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Custom Audio View Post
A PT9 supports 32 i/o. PT9 HD Native supports 64 i/o. PT9 HD supports 96i/o.
HD supports 32i/o per digilink interface....so an HD3 will support 96io, but a 4 or 5 can go higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
I'm so glad I'm rid of Lynx on the driver/audio interface side of things. The firewire interface for the Aurora was a nightmare, and the AES16 and AES16e I had didn't work that great either on my systems. Now I'm using RME for the digital side and am 100% happy with it, and Lynx for the converters only.
I've got mixed feelings on the FW interface. I find it can generate clicks in the audio if there's a buss powered drive even attached (seems to be fine with mains-powered drives). Also can crash PT9 if you eject a drive from finder when PT is open. But seems to work well otherwise.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

SSL, SSL, SSL!!! I have been simply memorized with my MAdiXtreme/Alpha link system, love it!
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

The truth about Lynx just keeps coming
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Bang Boom View Post
The truth about Lynx just keeps coming

Pffff, BS. Your comment tells me more about you then it tells me about Lynx, "Kris Bang Boom".

idoncaparker Said it right: there's no company that never f*cks up. I have some Lynx units, and the people at Lynx helped me out when I had technical issues and also on their websiteforum, they respond to posts very fast. No problems here. Still, it sucks offcourse. But that doesnt make Lynx a BScompany.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

To their credit they have sent me some drivers to test but neither version has worked yet ,, so still waiting ,,
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Nut

been using my aurora 16 and pro tools card for almost 2 years now (with mac G5) system is SOLID - never had any problems, IMO lynx rules
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Using Aes16e for a couple of years now, drivers are a nightmare, dont know why I havent switched yet, guess it works fairly enough, never had any problems with support though, more than they can never solve a problem
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svens View Post
Pffff, BS. Your comment tells me more about you then it tells me about Lynx, "Kris Bang Boom".

idoncaparker Said it right: there's no company that never f*cks up. I have some Lynx units, and the people at Lynx helped me out when I had technical issues and also on their websiteforum, they respond to posts very fast. No problems here. Still, it sucks offcourse. But that doesnt make Lynx a BScompany.
your are right and I do take it back
just a rather frustrated person with my aes16
anyhow
I bow out of the Lynx this week when I am on to my new system %100
and will let people have there own exp. with the gear
KBB
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Who wants to buy some lynx stuff?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search