The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hardware limiter for vocals recording - suggestions please! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 13th April 2011
Lives for gear

In that pricerange I second the used Aphex Dominator (1 or 2, does not matter much). For that one task you are asking the other boxes you are considering can't touch the Dominator. Set it so it kicks in 3-6dB before you AD hits full-scale and leave it there. Done.
Old 13th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_English View Post
Art Pro vla...
The Pro VLA is definitely not a limiter. Nice for lightly compressing vocals but way too slow to be a limiter.
In the used market ( if you can find one) the valley People 440 has compess and limit sections that can be switched in and out, and I sometimes use one for vocals ( when it's not living on guitar or drums) and it works nicely.
Old 13th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardwynne View Post
Nonono!
If you want nice crunch, you have to push the pre SO Hard.
The best crunch comes from the nt5 or any other SDC. You don't Even have pop filter! 2 inches away and loud!
Then make the preamp for nice by gain until it sounds soso good!
It's like the gratest brickwall, but no climbing because of no compression
Some prefer to flange afterwards though. It's just a choce!
Any peak/brick wall limiter before AD/DA?
Old 13th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderBro Flo View Post
In that pricerange I second the used Aphex Dominator (1 or 2, does not matter much). For that one task you are asking the other boxes you are considering can't touch the Dominator. .
I'm also under that impression more and more...
Quote:
Set it so it kicks in 3-6dB before you AD hits full-scale and leave it there. Done.
Well I just need it to clip on 0dB (or -0,1dB) so maybe 3-6dB will be a bit overkill? But again, I haven't used that unit so that is maybe perfectly logical 'threshold'...
Thanks.
Old 13th April 2011
Lives for gear

It is adviseable to have at least about 6dB headroom in your recorded files so you are less likely to run into overloads when further processing the files. That is why I suggested setting the threshold of the pre AD limiter to approx -6dB (meaning level that the following AD will give you then). There is no audible quality increase by recording to -0.1 fullscale on a 24bit file. However you will most definitely run into clipping problems in various situations by running your levels so hot. There is always an unexpected something clipping your stuff at some point. Leave enough headroom and use a good limiter to protect the AD from clipping in case a signal slips through your expectations.
Old 13th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
It is adviseable to have at least about 6dB headroom in your recorded files so you are less likely to run into overloads when further processing the files.
Yes, that is the way I'm doing it also
Quote:
That is why I suggested setting the threshold of the pre AD limiter to approx -6dB (meaning level that the following AD will give you then).
My intention is to have 99% of recorded material to around -6dB, and then just if some peaks hits 0dB - the peak limiter is jumping in and destroy them. I felt that is maybe better way then setting input maximum to -6dB. Because then 99% body of wav files will be recorded at -18dB to -12db - allowing space between -12dB and -6dB for peaks...!?

Quote:
There is no audible quality increase by recording to -0.1 fullscale on a 24bit file. However you will most definitely run into clipping problems in various situations by running your levels so hot. There is always an unexpected something clipping your stuff at some point. Leave enough headroom and use a good limiter to protect the AD from clipping in case a signal slips through your expectations.
Exactly my intention, although maybe we have a different view on how much is 'enough headroom' and 'hot' signals'.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search