The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buying advice for DI box Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 8th April 2011
Gear Head

Buying advice for DI box

Just got a Metric Halo ULN-2 and need some advice on a quality DI for a '65 Fender Jazzmaster (Direct in). Kinda noisy right now. I am assuming I need a passive DI as the Halo already has TRS instrument pres. Or should I just get balanced connects? I am using a SansAmp Bass Driver DI for my bass parts. That sounds too colored for the guitar. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

Radial JDI and JDI Duplex here. Tons of recordings, no worries.

B.
Old 8th April 2011
Gear Head

I have heard that name crop up a lot. I was looking at the Radial passive with jensen transformers. Kind of spendy but I am done with the low end after box upon box of bad gear. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

Have you tried the instrument inputs on the Metric Halo? From what I hear, their hardware is pretty solid.

I have gotten great results with guitar through the Radial J48. Since you are having noise problems that will probably be a better option than the JDI.
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post
I have gotten great results with guitar through the Radial J48. Since you are having noise problems that will probably be a better option than the JDI.
...based on what?

As far as I know, JDI and J48 have the same circuit except JDI has a superior Jensen transformer in it as opposed to J48's stock transformer. Am I wrong?

B.

EDIT: Yes I was wrong. J48 is active. Sorry...

Last edited by Barish; 8th April 2011 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: Learned something new...
Old 8th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post
Have you tried the instrument inputs on the Metric Halo? From what I hear, their hardware is pretty solid.

Yes. I have tried the Halo inputs. They are fantastic but my guitar is dirty and old (in a good way) and I thought I could clean up the signal by either swapping out cables for balanced in/out or a clean DI (unbalanced). I don't really want any color in the line as the Metric deals with transients very well. I have a presonus tube pre but it just adds even more noise and I hate the sound.
So you suggest active over passive for guitar? I was leaning towards the passive JDI but the J48 has phantom power (great) but no jensen transformers (maybe not as great)
Old 8th April 2011
Gear Maniac

I hate to be the one to ask but...

Is the Jazzmaster noisy because of the single coil pickups?
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

A-Designs REDDI DI is my favorite hands down!
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothaus View Post
So you suggest active over passive for guitar? I was leaning towards the passive JDI but the J48 has phantom power (great) but no jensen transformers (maybe not as great)
Common wisdom is to match a passive instrument with an active di, and vice-versa. I have had slightly better results following this advice with guitar. On bass, I tend to prefer passive regardless because I usually want to color the tone more with a preamp and active di's put out much more signal.

The J48 is active, the JDI is not. If you search around they are both very well thought of. They are widely available, and I'm sure you could a/b them for yourself and see what works better for your guitar setup.
Old 8th April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Estock View Post
A-Designs REDDI DI is my favorite hands down!
Without a doubt, the REDDI is the finest DI on the market.
Old 8th April 2011
Here for the gear

If he thought the Radials were expensive, I can't wait for his reaction once he googles the RedDI.
Old 9th April 2011
Gear Head

Looks like a great red firecracker. Yup way out of the price range.
Thanks for all the help. No offense is taken for any remedial question as I have been playing music for 22+ years but never really self recording. Always had studio's and someone else doing it. Nice, but I'm starting to see the disadvantage of being surrounded by nice gear but not caring to learn about it has done to me (pretty green). So yeah, in real basic terms:
What are the lowest noise combos to go for.

unbalanced>passive DI>unbalanced>ULN-2 pre
balanced>passive DI>balanced>ULN-2 pre
unbalanced>active DI>balanced>ULN-2 pre
balanced>active DI>balanced>ULN-2 pre

I also use a '78 Music Man Sabre bass that is active dual pickups and very quiet but want to get as much roundness as possible in the signal. Play through a sansamp DI.
Thanks again. love the slutz.
Old 13th April 2011
Gear Head

Just wanted to close out with a thanks for the Radial recommendations. Got a J48. Works great. Noise is completely gone when in middle toggle now via balanced xlr.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search