The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitors Dilemma Studio Monitors
Old 6th August 2003
Gear Maniac

Monitors Dilemma

Hello,
I'm running a nice small studio in a little room (3m x 3m x 2.50m). As I had only this room available and I produce only stuff for myself, working alone, I choosed to have the PC in another room and make the studio room insulated and very absorbent, unifying control and recording space.

I'm extremely satisfied with this solution, everything is perfectly grounded and noiseless, the lcd monitor doesn't interact with other equipment.

I'm currently monitoring on NS10m pro, and although the sound very crappy to me, expecially after 5-6 hours of heavy duty, I think they are a precious standard reference to have.

But of course I need some better monitors too, mainly because I need the control on the low end, impossible with ns10, and greater reliability under stress.

I'm very attracted from Adam S3A speakers, the seem a nice way to go.

My question is related to the dimensions of the room and it's high absorbence of reflections, that should compensate the small space.

Do you think that such speakers could be a good move? They have specs refering to larger ambients, and I'm not technically expert enough to know if small ambients can have a bad interaction with some speakers.

If you have some useful infos on other hi q. monitors good for my environment....

Thanks for reading all this....cheers :-)
Old 6th August 2003
Lives for gear

Umm.. Can you borrow a pair and try them
If you room is not have proper acoustics it will be hit and miss where the problem areas are.

The Adams sounded nice when I tried them, I already brought some quested before they were available here.
Although look at other speakers
ATC, PMC's, Dynaudio, Genelecs.. Come to mind
And of course Mackies, which I personally think are toooo hyped..

Old 6th August 2003
One with big hooves

Monitors are a personal thing. You need to try them yourself, I would never buy anything without hearing them first unless I could return them for a full refund. There are lots of monitors I like for full range stuff, the passive Tannoy System 800's, the Halfer TRM8's, Dynaudio BM15, Event 20/20 BAS and the JBL LSR's with the 8" woofer are all things I feel that I can trust without a second referance.

Room treatment would do wonders for you with that new set of monitors. Having a room that's 3x3 meters isn't good. Diffusion along at least one wall and some bass traping will make the room and your mixes that much better.
Old 6th August 2003
How far away from your speakers can you comfortably get without having a wall to your back? If it is less than 10 feet I don't suggest you get any kind of 3 way speaker. You need some space for that imaging to come together, and if you are right on top of the speaker (in particular less than 5 feet) I personally think a two way is more appropriate. The 2 way ADAMs are a great speaker as are the 2 way PMC monitors, both are different sounding speakers using different kinds of technologies, but both are top shelf anyway.
Old 6th August 2003
Gear Maniac

Thanks a lot for the answers. :-)

I imagined that the problem could be the small size of the room for 3 ways.....

I'll try of course to listen to as many speakers as I can, but where I live, resellers are not happy to move stuff out of the shop...

to be more precise, this room is insulated with lead, rockwool, chalk panels (sorry I don't know the english name),lead again, chalk panels and antireflective pyramidal panels (sorry again), and the floor has lead, noise blocking rubber and moquette.

All further suggestions are welcome!
cheers.
Old 7th August 2003
Gear Maniac

Dear Gearslutz friends,

Today I had a good listening of a bunch of monitors, and really got impressed by the ADAMs S2A, two ways. I found the Genelecs unbalanced for my ears, a hole in the mids was too much evident to me.

I had a test in the shop also recreating the nearfield conditions in wich I usually work (the guy there was kind indeed, everybody was somewere else, Rome is empty in August..), and...my god!...ADAMs have an authority and a detail at low levels really impressive.

I'm not impulsive, but they are now here at the studio. I planned to take some measures on monday, and I'll do, but what I'm hearing now sounds really great to me.

Thanks for all your replies, they have been very useful.
[:] [:]

cheers!
Old 8th August 2003
Lives for gear

Have fun.
Post back how you think of them

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search