The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My friend and enemy: mr. Reverb
Old 10th April 2011
Gear Nut

LOL x10 in this thread. Thanks for all the perspectives. I'm an eager earnest record-and-mix-in-my-spare-time newb. I'd always read and heard "separates men from the boys" sentiments about reverb, and I just couldn't/ can't seem to help myself at times. I'm gonna revisit a bunch of the flat wet mushy mixes I've done and apply some of the techniiques suggested here. Thanks again.
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear

I was going to get in on this thread a few days ago. Got sidetracked until a vanity search came up with "Weathervane" in it (what a lame-ass) ...

Dean's right on the money as far as the way Jon and I have been doing things for Weathervane. We throw caution to the wind and just super indulge in sounds that are, we think at least, totally unique to us. Always a combination of delays and reverbs. Usually pretty unconventional. A lot of it is recorded during tracking, some during mixing. In 5 years I might hear it and think, "what the hell were we thinking!" We'll have to see. For now, I'm in love with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
BTW, also look at those Weathervane tracks that are available for mixing. I played around with one of the tunes. When I heard the raw tracks I was like, dang Bubba, that's a LOT of reverb and delay. Some folks would say that delay isn't as messy so it's not as big a problem, but this isn't subtle delay, it's monster sized tape delay. Lots of the tracks are just drenched in ambience.

But, when you hear the mixed song, it sounds really nice and the ambience isn't nearly as obvious. Just bringing up the tracks for a basic balance makes for a fairly nice mix before doing anything.
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid deluxe View Post
Mr Reverb and Mrs Automation are very good friends..
Mrs Automation! That ho has been sleeping around with the whole FX bin...
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

These reverb threads, and subsequent defenses of reverb, seem to sustain (last) longer than they would if there were no reverb used at all.
Old 2nd May 2011
Gear Addict

I was playing around with the Sgt Pepper multitracks over the weekend. They also are drenched in reverb. Or are they? After some thought I realized that the reverb had been added before compression on each track, so you had relatively clear-sounding instruments/vocals, then massive reverb coming up when the note stopped and the level comes back up.

-Kirk
Old 2nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
How about you?
Mostly, reverb is there to make a track "not dry" ...and you can use almost any reverb or setting to accomplish this.
Old 3rd May 2011
Lives for gear

My "high school of reverb" happened in around 1995 when I was first interning and then working at a studio. They had the mighty M5000 as their primary unit and a Lex as a secondary one. Before starting there I pretty much thought the Lex was the best natural verb there was. I realized pretty quick the error of my ways.
After that I spent years ITB and the reverbs available just plain sucked, big time. When the convolution verbs came and I got hold of some M5000/ 480 impulses I finally had something I could almost work with. The dealbreaker was the non-existent editability. At times I ended up layering three different impulses on top of each other and doing all sorts of tricks with each in order to achieve a vocal sound I was after. Always somewhat close but always felt something missing.
Now I have bought myself all the reverbs I once loved and then some. Because they are not 'hip' nowadays, they are not immensely expensive either. A good thing when you are buying, not so much when you are selling.
I couldn't imagine mixing without a good quality reverb available. An essential tool for me. Consider yourself lucky if you can deal without.
Old 3rd May 2011
Lives for gear
I've always used very light reverb mostly plates like OP does. When I do use a reverb that has a bigger tail like a large hall or something it is no doubt automated. Any reverb that I usually can really pick out and isn't light gets automation or just doesn't sit right to me.
Old 4th May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkhawley View Post
I was playing around with the Sgt Pepper multitracks over the weekend. They also are drenched in reverb. Or are they?

Most of those reverbs are the sound of Studio 2 at Abbey Road, or the echo chamber in the back. A testament to the power of a good (and real) room, there isn't a reverb unit on the planet that can make an instrument sound like that.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 4th May 2011
Gear Addict
Sometimes I use reverb and delay on the same sound. Shhhh!!!! Let's keep it between us.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search