The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Best Strat Bridge Pickup Ever!!....
Old 18th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah
Ahhh, this just makes me think 'John Fogerty'... my favourite exponent of 'position 2'...
Well, as John Fogerty's guitar tech, I can tell you that sound is vintage Strats on records and usually an Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette live. The past two tours he used a John Petrucci signature model for the Strat tunes. "Centerfield" is played on a custom made Kubicki "baseball bat" named Slugger.

Hey, I got to name drop without bringing it up first...!
Old 18th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka gimli
Well, as John Fogerty's guitar tech, I can tell you that sound is vintage Strats on records and usually an Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette live. The past two tours he used a John Petrucci signature model for the Strat tunes. "Centerfield" is played on a custom made Kubicki "baseball bat" named Slugger.

Hey, I got to name drop without bringing it up first...!
Cool.

At the risk of hijacking my own thread...

I know he was using Strats on the records, but what were the amps?

I know they were Fenders (I think, from listening...) but they always sound like they're small-ish combos to my ear... and not a Twin, imo...
I'm referring to the first couple of albums, btw...

'Susie Q', 'Put A Spell On You', 'Commotion', 'Green River'... all typify what I adore about Strats and John Fogerty...
Old 18th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L
spoke to soon on the 'tele' thing... check out the 'STP'...

http://harmonicdesign.net/allpages/custom_shop.html
Dude I`m there !

That`d be a great way to change up the tone enough so I`d be more into using the bridge pickup once in a while.

Allthough I think I remember the neck pickup being the cooler one on Tele`s as well. The more distinctive twangy sound seemed to be there but I`m not sure now.
Old 18th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L
spoke to soon on the 'tele' thing... check out the 'STP'...

http://harmonicdesign.net/allpages/custom_shop.html
Although the HD sites likes to suggest that this (STP) is a 'unique' idea...Seymour has been making these for artists for years and years.

Albert Lee has also been using custom Duncans in his signature Music Man models with the ferrous base plate under the bridge pickup since the beginning....and Lindy Fralin has been offering this mod for longer than I can remember.

It doesn't actually get you a 'Tele' tone so much as adds a bit more midrange bite. Alot of the Tele tone comes from being mounted in a Steel bridge and the string through the body (as opposed to a tremolo). It is a cool mod either way.

But if you really want that Tele twang from a strat....you can have your strat pickguard modified with an added steelplate machined and put underneath...as well as the ferrous metal plate under the pickup.

Respect,
Old 18th February 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasbin
Seymour Duncan APS-1 is pretty much one of the best, if not the best and sweetest sounding strat pup ever.
On the other hand it fares better in the neck position.

Personally I kinda like a humbucker in the bridge to give more tonal variety.
I had the duncan alnico's they were very thin sounding. If you're looking for a slightly hotter pickup maybe the texas hots might work, hot rails have nothing to do with a fender sound so if you're looking for a guitar that still has a fender thing I would also check out fralins Lindy has pickups that increase in hotness by a small percentage so you can get what you're looking for. I had duncans in my strat and tele and pulled them out for fralins MUCH better.
Old 18th February 2006
Lives for gear

Cant beleive no one has mentioned Joe Barden ! I think his site has been down for a while, he develped pickups for Danny Gatton at one point.

Those are some excellent pickups. !!!
Attached Thumbnails
The Best Strat Bridge Pickup Ever!!....-dsjbbc.jpg  
Old 18th February 2006
Gear Head

My favorite pickups are hand wound by Peter Florance: http://voodoopickups.com/
Old 18th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah
I know he was using Strats on the records, but what were the amps?

I know they were Fenders (I think, from listening...) but they always sound like they're small-ish combos to my ear... and not a Twin, imo...
I'm referring to the first couple of albums, btw...
I'm pretty sure it was Fenders and probably some Kustom. The Kustoms were a big part of the live rig, especially the cabinets, and the tremolo circuit is keen. I'll ask him next time we talk...
Old 18th February 2006
Gear Addict

Rio Grande makes a pickup called the Stelly. Basically a tele bridgle pickup that you can cram into your strat bridge position. I have one, it's really nice.

I've also used other Rio Grandes, Fender CS, Lollars. They all make nice stuff, just sorta depends on what you're looking for.
Old 18th February 2006
Lives for gear

Kurt Guitars just recently put this Seymour Duncan Lil 59 in the bridge position of my 40th Anniversary American Standard, and it gave a whole new life to this baby. It's not TOO hot, just right for adding some meat and crunch to a pickup setting which previously went completely unused. Emulates the 59 PAF humbucker.
Attached Thumbnails
The Best Strat Bridge Pickup Ever!!....-strat1_sd.jpg   The Best Strat Bridge Pickup Ever!!....-strat2_sd.jpg  
Old 18th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gene
Although the HD sites likes to suggest that this (STP) is a 'unique' idea...Seymour has been making these for artists for years and years.
This from the Harmonic Design website as regards the "STP":

Quote:
Perhaps you’re asking yourself, “How come nobody thought of this before?”
Well they have, notably eccentric slide master Lowell George...
Though Seymour Duncan was not mentioned, it's pretty clear they're not claiming a unique idea here...
Old 18th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc
Dude I`m there !

That`d be a great way to change up the tone enough so I`d be more into using the bridge pickup once in a while.

Allthough I think I remember the neck pickup being the cooler one on Tele`s as well. The more distinctive twangy sound seemed to be there but I`m not sure now.
Kevin, I allways found the neck pickup on tele's way more usefull myself, both the lipstick and the HB lookin' thing... don't know if the STP's worth a damn or not but the Z-90 I put @ the neck in my LP is drop dead cool! It certainly gives me confidence in their product to try more of their stuff!
Old 19th February 2006
Lives for gear

I replaced my fender texas specials with vanzandts and have been glad every day since.

van zandt pickups
Old 19th February 2006
Lives for gear

i have a stock 61 bridge pup in my stock 61 strat which sounds pretty great. in my 67 tele i have a stock pup that was rewound by seymour duncan in the late 70s which SCREAMS. i realize that won't be very helpful, but i just had to mention it. since these have been my two single coil gtrs for the last 20 years i don't know much about modern single coil pups, but i know i have played some modern seymour duncan single coils that were very good...sorry i dont know the model. emg might be another brand to investigate as well as fralin.

a good place to post this question, if you don';t already know, is thegearpage.com which is pretty much a dedicated guitar geek site.

good luck
Old 19th February 2006
Lives for gear

I've got a Fralin Real54 w/bassplate...sweet. I honestly haven't met a SET of Strat PUs I like better. They're pretty low output...but the bassplate adds some punch to the bridge. I usually just roll the volume to 8 when using the bridge. Super twang...actually moreso than my Tele bridge:

I've got the Blues Special in the bridge of my Tele...very fat...almost humbuckery, but still articualte and twangy. Texas Special Tele is very similar, but lack the sweetness of the Fralin.

While I don't have mine modded this way now...I've always liked to switch the second tone knob on the strat to the bridge--so the two control bridge and neck--leaving the middle wide open. Makes the bridge more usable, too.
Old 19th February 2006
Gear Head

van zandt's

The guy who built my custom strat swears by van zandt's. He claims they are better than duncan, fralin's, etc. (his subjective opinion). I was skeptical, but they are pretty amazing. I have yet to hear a better sounding strat pickup.
Old 19th February 2006
Lives for gear
Another vote for Van Zandts (put 'em in my '78 strat ~ 1 yr ago). Had SD stacked vintage PU before and the bridge was just shrill. With the VZ I can play the bridge wide open and it sounds great!

-Lee
Old 19th February 2006
Gear Nut

http://www.andersonguitars.com/productinfo.html

Click on pickups to see all the different models. Single coils are halfway down. They sound amazing but I've only heard them in Tom Anderson guitars which sound amazing to begin with. But I'd be shocked if they didn't bring out the best in any other guitar out there.
Old 19th February 2006
Lives for gear

there can be hard to find but the pickups that come on a 1956 relic custom shop strat are my personal favorite. fender dose not sell the pu seprate, you have to find someone who took it out of the guitar. there most commonly availible as the whole set with the pick guard on ebay.

as for above i owned a tom anderson cst hollow t with custom routing done by tom just for that guitar. it had a alot of diffrent tonality that it could produce but it didnt really have that extra something special. jmho but as for the way the guitar played that a completely diffrent story.
Old 20th February 2006
Gear Addict

joe barden strat deluxe set is it for me, sound is exacactly as i would like to hear it.
Old 20th February 2006
Here for the gear

I recommend a dimarzio virtual vintage blues in the neck for a great sound. It's so gutteral and huge, while maintaing that strat bite that we all love.
Old 21st February 2006
Lives for gear

http://www.kinman.com/, local Brisbane boy made good.

Most people find it impossible to accept that Kinman's Strat and Tele replacement p/ups can be virtually silent while still managing to generate very impressive tonal characteristics.

I thought that until I tried them. Bugger me, they are up there with the best p/ups I've ever heard. Hank Marvin, Dave Gilmour and many others seem to like them also .... YMMV!
Old 9th December 2008
Gear Maniac

Interested to get some more input on the Joe Barden strats. Looking at getting a set put in.
I have Bardens in my tele. I love the neck pup, not as crazy about the bridge, especially at lower volumes. Too twangy for me or somthing - yeh I know it's a tele but I play more other styles than country on it.
Currently have Fralin's in the strat [not sure which ones, bought the guitar used]. I'm not crazy about them.
Like to get any reviews of the Barden strat pups to get an idea if I'll love 'em. Wanna be sure not too twangy for me.
Old 9th December 2008
Most replacement Fender pickups are overwound. This lowers the pickup's resonant frequency. Lower it into the mids and you get that peaky, whiny tone.

Original pickups were wound to around 6 ~ 6.5 k ohms, DC resistance. In the 80's they used tighter winding machines that lowered typical resistance to 5.5 k ohms.
Hot replacements like Texas specials are wound up to 8~11k ohms. If one does a frequency sweep with an Audio Precision one can see the response and the size/shape of the resonant peak. That requires the use of a low impedance driver pickup as a stimulus source and a 1 meg ohm buffer in front of the Audio Precision to obtain accurate readings.

My favorite bridge Stratocaster pickup is a 1962 Duo-Sonic pickup. It's wound to 6 k ohms so it has the bandwidth and the magnets are flat on top. This allows the pickup to be raised a bit closer to the strings for a fuller tone without string pull one can get from the staggered magnet designs. The others are custom wound strat pickups done at an aerospace factory in Simi Valley that wound coils for syncro to digital converters used in military fighter jets. Those were underwound to around 4.5 k ohms. Those have an almost acoustic bandwidth for a sparkling range of higher harmonics.

Output levels are are not important here. All the guitars have on-board preamps to set the levels as hot as desired. The guitars also have a dummy coil installed and the preamp is a special design with phase cancellation built in. The trim pot allows you to "tune out" the hum electronically without affecting the tone of the original pickups. That way I can avoid pickups with special shielding or dual coils to cancel hum. It allows the use of original stock Fender pickups without any noise. I have measured an 80 db S/N with this topology.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 15th March 2009
Here for the gear

Fralins?

Hi all - after finding this thread...I would like to ask for educated opinions on my pickup dilemma.

I currently have EMG SA's (ala David Gilmour). I want a totally organic sound now (not heavy on effects) and am thinking of getting Fralin pups installed on my Strat Plus (maple neck) in order to get the following type of lead and rhythm sounds (John Mayer haters...don't click this link btw ):

YouTube - Slow Dancing in a Burning Room - John Mayer

What I've gathered so far is that Fralins the only way to go. Opinions?

Thanks,

Giga_Me
Old 15th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is there a pickup that can make a Strat sound like a razor edged Tele?
Pickups amplify the guitar ...doesn't make the guitar sound the way it does.

Find a Tele with the tone you like. Then find a Strat with similar tone, in your case, the bridge setting.

Done. But not quite.

If you want to maximize the way your Strat sounds, either find a real vintage 50's or 60's pup, or have Fred Stuart wind you one. Alan Hamel might even be a better choice, but it seems he's dissapeared.
'
Old 15th March 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
Kinman Guitar Electrix, local Brisbane boy made good.
With you there... I use a set of Kinman Woodstocks in my custom Strat and love it to death. If you are a single-coil purist you may not like the sound of the Woodstocks. They are much hotter than a regular single coil and thus slightly more compressed, and slightly less dynamic.

If the OP is looking for a humbucker-esque single coil for his Strat, I recommend the Kinman Hx-85. It is very much a cross between single coils and humbuckers, and entirely silent to boot.

-at
Old 15th March 2009
Lives for gear

vodka gimli, thats impressive, as Fogerty gets the best tone anywhere ..

'
Old 15th March 2009

I just put Fralin 'Woodstocks' in my Start, They are awesome.

Old 15th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
Suhr V60 LPs
+1 for Suhr, thought after recording both Mike Landau and Kirk Fletcher, I vote for the Fletcher Landau pickup.

I have to admit I have not heard the V60 (that I am aware of).

I also put some Suhr "T" pickups in my '07 Tele and Robben Ford played it on a track one day. It sounded a lot better than when I play it!

But yeah, if you haven't heard of them, check out some Suhr's.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear