The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is this song in Cmajor? Utility Software
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Nut

Is this song in Cmajor?

Is this song in Cmajor?Is Daft Punk's "Something about us" in Cmajor? I'm pretty sure it is, but I could be wrong. I'm working through a tutorial now here YouTube - Something About Us - Daft Punk Piano Tutorial I'm playing out the chords now and writing down the progression. Just wanna make sure I'm right, or wrong....The C# sharp chord is throwing me off, since there no sharps in Cmajor, but combined with the other notes (G-A-C#) its apparently an A7 and A is a note in the key of Cmajor.

Original song here YouTube - Daft Punk - Something About Us
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavves View Post
Is this song in Cmajor?Is Daft Punk's "Something about us" in Cmajor? I'm pretty sure it is, but I could be wrong. I'm working through a tutorial now here YouTube - Something About Us - Daft Punk Piano Tutorial I'm playing out the chords now and writing down the progression. Just wanna make sure I'm right, or wrong....The C# sharp chord is throwing me off, since there no sharps in Cmajor, but combined with the other notes (G-A-C#) its apparently an A7 and A is a note in the key of Cmajor.

Original song here YouTube - Daft Punk - Something About Us
No. Dm.
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
No. Dm.
Really? I believe you but if C is technically B#, doesn't that make C# B double sharp? the only black note in Dm is Bb, so this isn't making since to me.
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Maniac

Where are you getting C# from? Quickly looking over a chart for this it seems like its basically Bbmaj7, Am7, Dm7, and G. Making it in the key of Dm.
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
No. Dm.
Old 2nd April 2011

It's not a C# chord though. The chord "names" would be

Bbmaj7, Am7, Dm7, G....... hence Dm

She plays the second A as a variant of A7 - but heck - that's allowed!!
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonhackler View Post
Where are you getting C# from? Quickly looking over a chart for this it seems like its basically Bbmaj7, Am7, Dm7, and G. Making it in the key of Dm.
I'm getting C# from the tutorial is this wrong? Technically it could be Db too is this right? Where are you getting your chords from please explain, I'm new too all this.
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
It's not a C# chord though. The chord "names" would be

Bbmaj7, Am7, Dm7, G....... hence Dm

She plays the second A as a variant of A7 - but heck - that's allowed!!
I know its not a C# chord technically. Which I stated in my original post. This confuses me, sense logic list it as an A7 when I play the notes.
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Head

Bb

I hear it in Bb.

this is the progression that I hear in the Key of Bb.
Bb A7 Dm G
I VI III VI

Craig Calistro
Pro Audio Sales
CalistroMusic.com
Old 2nd April 2011

It is an A7. The first time is an Am7 then it moves to an A7 the second time. It's a "jazzy" progression - you often throw elements that are not in the core key to add colour.

There are a few chords in various Burt Bacharach songs that don't even have regular names - when you read the charts you get extra instructions for the ornamentation! Annoying!

A7 in Bb????

Last edited by narcoman; 2nd April 2011 at 03:29 AM..
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calistro View Post
I hear it in Bb.

Bb A7 Dm G
I VI III VI

Craig Calistro
Pro Audio Sales
CalistroMusic.com
Hmmmmm....I'm playing those chords and it doesn't sound at all like the song. Here are the Chords I'm getting which sound exactly like the song.

D5- C no3 5/6 - Fma7 - G add9 - Dm - A7 - A m 7 - F6
Old 2nd April 2011

that's what she seems to be playing in the video - but she's playing it wrong! Can't hear the F in the second chord on the record......

Last edited by narcoman; 2nd April 2011 at 03:45 AM..
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
that's what she seems to be playing in the video - but she's playing it wrong! Can't hear the F in the second chord on the record......
Ahhhhhhhhh! I'm so confused! Her chords are wrong but they sound right, and your chords are right but they sound wrong? WTF Worse off than I was in the beginning. Goddamn piano learning....

Last edited by Wavves; 2nd April 2011 at 03:50 AM.. Reason: wrong
Old 2nd April 2011

Quote:
Ahhhhhhhhh! I'm so confused! Her chords are wrong but they sound right, and your chords are right but they sound wrong? WTF Worse off than I was in the beginning. Goddamn piano learning....
Not saying I'm right!! Just can't hear the F on the record but she plays it. The Gadd9 doesn't sound right either - but heck.... I'm playing them on a guitar!
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear

D minor.

The A chord is dominant 7, which contains a C# note, which functions as a leading tone, pulling your ear back to the tonic, which is in this case a D note.

That's common practice in harmonic minor... Listen to any Muse song and you'll hear the same exact thing a hundred times. Very "classical".
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calistro View Post
I hear it in Bb.

Bb A7 Dm G
I VI III VI
This is about right if you take the bass part into account.

I read it as

Bb Am7 D-9 G11
Bb A7 Dm11 G11

If you discount the bass part, it'd be in Dm. In this instance, the bass part really defines the root of the chord.
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeek View Post
D minor.

The A chord is dominant 7, which contains a C# note, which functions as a leading tone, pulling your ear back to the tonic, which is in this case a D note.

That's common practice in harmonic minor... Listen to any Muse song and you'll hear the same exact thing a hundred times. Very "classical".
Ok, so according to the Dm scale the chord progression (without the flavor) looks like this I-vii-iii-IV-I-V-V-iii. How'd you discern that its in D minor though? Never really got into Muse aren't they a Radiohead knock off? heh
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear

If it were Bb Major the A chord would be diminished, and you would likely see an F dominant, Eb Maj7, or C minor in there somewhere.

The presence of the occasional C# leading tone in the A chords, as mentioned above, tells me that chord is the dominant 5th, which points our attention to D, as the root or tonic.

Trusting bass lines to tell us where is the root note of a chord is a dubious approach, as chord inversions will immediately throw that out the window.
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Guru

Bb, Dm... two flats.
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, so according to the Dm scale the chord progression (without the flavor) looks like this I-vii-iii-IV-I-V-V-iii. How'd you discern that its in D minor though? Never really got into Muse aren't they a Radiohead knock off? heh
No, in Dm the chords would basically be VI V7 i iv, or Bb A7 Dm Gm (with some variation)
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
No, in Dm the chords would basically be VI V7 i iv, or Bb A7 Dm Gm (with some variation)
How and why are you getting this?
Old 2nd April 2011
Bbmaj7 Am7

Dm7 G

Bbmaj7 Am7

Dm7 G

Bbmaj7 Am7

Dm7 G

Bbmaj7 Am7

Dm7 G

Bbmaj7 Am7

Dm7 G

Bb Am7

Dm7 G
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
If D5 (D-A) is the first chord in the progression where are you getting VI (Bb) as the beginning chord in the progression? etc....
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
If it were Bb Major the A chord would be diminished, and you would likely see an F dominant, Eb Maj7, or C minor in there somewhere.

The presence of the occasional C# leading tone in the A chords, as mentioned above, tells me that chord is the dominant 5th, which points our attention to D, as the root or tonic.

Trusting bass lines to tell us where is the root note of a chord is a dubious approach, as chord inversions will immediately throw that out the window.
After another listen, I think you're right. It's VI V7 i iv.
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
If D5 (D-A) is the first chord in the progression where are you getting VI (Bb) as the beginning chord in the progression? etc....
From the bass line.
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mordo View Post
After another listen, I think you're right. It's VI V7 i iv.
Ah! How?! If the third chord is F-A-C-E (F ma7) the iii in Dm then how are you getting I there's no D note in that chord not even in bass, ah my head hurts
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Maniac

The key is in F major start on IV or BbM7

BbM7 A7 Dm11 G11
IV III VI II
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ah! How?! If the third chord is F-A-C-E (F ma7) the iii in Dm then how are you getting I there's no D note in that chord not even in bass, ah my head hurts
Actually, it IS in the bass. Put a D root under an Fmaj7 chord, and you wind up with...D minor 9. Chord analysis is an intelligent procedure...it requires that you take in to consideration the song as a whole. After the bass line kicks in, the entire progression laid out on the Rhodes makes sense to the ear. My guess is that they already had the bass before the Rhodes was even considered. Measure the bass notes against the initial Rhodes chords, even though there is no bass in the recording at that point, and the chords make perfect sense.

For me, the whole beauty of the song was hearing the bass kick in under the chords. Everything suddenly shifted into perfect focus. Then, they spent 4 minutes losing my interest.
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeek
If it were Bb Major the A chord would be diminished
Actually half-diminshed or Amin7 b5.

Because it has a dominant 7th (G) note as opposed to a 6th (F#) which would make it a full diminished.

Then you throw in the major 3rd (C#) and normal 5th (E) and it points more to Dm as the key, as has been stated.

Ain't naming chords fun heh

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 2nd April 2011 at 01:34 PM..
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear

D Minor
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search