The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
T.H.E. Microphones
Old 16th February 2006
Lives for gear

T.H.E. Microphones

What is the consensus on T.H.E.? These look like a good system for a good price. I just wonder what people who have used them think. I am talking about the modular K series btw. But if you have used any of their mics lets hear it.
Old 16th February 2006
Gear Addict

I have used them a few times for various things.

I have only used the 25mm capsules and they can be great and can be a terrible choice, like just about everything else. I think they are quality microphones and definitely worth their price in the right applications, they just weren't the sound I would go for in most things I record.

The 25s have a very forward midrange and bright top, maybe even sounding a little rolled off in the bass too, but not much. They can be great for rock overheads and I have heard them sound great on one particular male vocal. I also used them to record a trio of piano, flute, and soprano vocal. I was in a great room, but I had to be pretty far back, so the THEs really came through by keeping everything clear and present even though the room was sounding pretty mellow and the high end had rolled off. They also seem to be very directional, with a lot of rejection off axis.

I have also heard them sound terrible on male vocals. They can be very spitty and thin with the wrong singer. I once auditioned a 4047 and a KR25 back to back on a slightly gritty male voice and the THE defined the word harsh in comparison to the 4047.

For the stuff I do, the THEs seem to have a sound that is a little too aggressive/bright. They can be great on some things, but I don't have the cash to spend that kind of money on a pair of mics I would use so infrequently. However, if you are looking for bright, forward, modern sounding mics for rock and roll, a mellow acoustic, etc. they would probably be a great option.
Old 17th February 2006
Gear Nut

interesting...

my experience was the opposite. I have a KR25A and a very flat room with virtually no reverb. I found it was as flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat as flat can be with a full and fast bass. I found it so unflatteringly ( no pun intended ) honest, that I ended up going with a 4011 with its slight 12 -14k rise.

I have yet to try it in a live room, but just from the little I've heard, I'm finding it hard to imagine it being too forward. Maybe mine is voiced differently, I don't know.
Old 17th February 2006
Lives for gear

I've found the KR25A to be an optimal performer on steel string guitbox up close and personal. Conga, dumbek and other assorted booming things have been impressive. Maybe outside a kik drum, haven't tried it but I think it would get the job done pretty well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search