The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools 9 Input Bug Audio Interfaces
Old 26th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Pro Tools 9 Input Bug

Me and a couple other colleagues are having the same problem with this input Bug in Pro tools 9 (BOTH HD and "LE").

Whenever assigning an input on a track to "no input" (because I'm mixing and don't want to see a bunch of irrelevant inputs), the session defaults those inputs after a certain amount of time back to some random "input 9", etc thing and makes it inactive. This has happened on multiple systems, on multiple sessions, so it's nothing with my rig and I suspect it's a digi *ahem* avid bug. What's weird is when I go to reset it to "no input" it's already checked off as "no input" as if it knows what it should be but perhaps it's a display or refresh error?

Anyone having the same issues that has perhaps found a solution?

Thanks!
Tab
Attached Thumbnails
Pro Tools 9 Input Bug-screen-shot-2011-03-25-9.32.14-pm.png  
Old 26th March 2011
Lives for gear

odd, I haven't had that happen.

My usual method is to have Aux tracks for Monitoring that I activate when I make the 'Record' Audio tracks inactive.

Wonder if going Inactive on those tracks would help hold their settings?

(This also gets me by the bug where you can't scrub on an audio track if it's routed out through an audio track.)
Old 26th March 2011
What's your hardware->setup set to ? ..is it the interface
itself? I've noticed some unusual things using aggregate option
when interfaces come and go.

jeff
Old 27th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Hey guys,

thanks for the reponses.

@ jeff i thought it might have been the interface, but it's not as this happens on the newer HD i/o's at work, and my 003 rack at home. No aggregate business is happening...

@eoats...i'm not sure I get what you mean, but i've tried deactivating and reactivating the track to get it to snap out of it, but doesn't help.

does anyone have any other ideas?

thanks!
Old 27th March 2011
Lives for gear

I've never seen this.

If this is just a display bug, you'd think if you closed the mix window and reopened it, it should display correctly. Is this consistently incorrect when you have i/o displayed in the edit page?

Also, you mentioned " some random "input 9" ", but in the screenshot I see 2 disabled "In 1" inputs 2 "no inputs" and a "Ld Submix". Did the "Ld Submix" not change over correctly either? I assume the channels with the Verb going into the Delay into the bypassed Chorus are being routed into the Ld Submix (this seems like a strange routing scenario, but moving on) both run into this issue at the same time? In other words, did you change the routing for both at the same time or individually?

Which version of 9 are you running? PC or Mac?

Everytime it happens, is PT dsp shuffling (starting to run low on DSP)? Is the "Use DSP Cache" on or off in the System Usage window? At least on your HD rigs.

At any point have you trashed your digidatabases, prefs, etc and still seen this issue?

Possible off topic, are you running the 1st released version of McDsp V5 on all of the rigs that have displayed this issue?
Old 27th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post
I've never seen this.

If this is just a display bug, you'd think if you closed the mix window and reopened it, it should display correctly. Is this consistently incorrect when you have i/o displayed in the edit page?

Also, you mentioned " some random "input 9" ", but in the screenshot I see 2 disabled "In 1" inputs 2 "no inputs" and a "Ld Submix". Did the "Ld Submix" not change over correctly either? I assume the channels with the Verb going into the Delay into the bypassed Chorus are being routed into the Ld Submix (this seems like a strange routing scenario, but moving on) both run into this issue at the same time? In other words, did you change the routing for both at the same time or individually?

Which version of 9 are you running? PC or Mac?

Everytime it happens, is PT dsp shuffling (starting to run low on DSP)? Is the "Use DSP Cache" on or off in the System Usage window? At least on your HD rigs.

At any point have you trashed your digidatabases, prefs, etc and still seen this issue?

Possible off topic, are you running the 1st released version of McDsp V5 on all of the rigs that have displayed this issue?
Thanks for your response!

I'm running PT 9.0.1, and having this issue on both HD and "LE" systems. On the LE rig, i've got older McDsp plugs, on the HD rig I've got the latest V5's (not the first release).

In the attached photo, I was in the middle of setting up a session to mix from a client, hence the weird routing that I'd not gotten a chance to remove. The "LD Submix" is going to an Aux master. The bug only happens on audio tracks and not aux masters. It doesn't seem to affect DSP, or pull on the system when it does this.

As far as "input 9" it seems to just be putting it into whatever default input Tools has depending on the rig. It's not actually routing sound or messing up links b/w tracks and auxes, but it's more of a nuisance.
Old 27th March 2011
Lives for gear

It has to do with their ASIO Routing Engine as a track must be assigned an input as well as an output for playback ( Null values not allowed).

Who ever developed the routing interface in protools forgot that you have to assign the value "no input=0" instead of "no input=Null". TDM doesn't care ( null or 0 means 0 ). This can be fixed software wise.

I'm glad AAVID opened the platform out. TDM has its own issues and quite frankly the "protools interfaces" is the same pro-sumer stuff, just has an rom location on the DSP that says its a protools device.

I made an ASIO driver before that worked with pro tools and I discovered this glitch before. I don't have the source code for pro tools to modify the routing portion of the program because the "null" value is originating in the program's routing table.

so I set it to an Input I'm not using. Big deal. I got away with using pro tools with standard hardware for the past 3 years. I figured they would have found this and fixed it. But thats what software upgrades are all about.
Old 27th March 2011
Gear Maniac

that seems to make sense, except i'm on a Mac on all my rigs; isn't ASIO win only? or are you saying that there's something in the software architecture regardless of the OS version that's creating that bug?
Old 2nd April 2011
this just happened to me ... I think it's a bug .. nothing had changed in my setup .. and when I started PT it said "There are changes in your I/O since you last opened the session." .. etc.

and then most of the I/O hardware outputs were grayed out.

jeff
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search