The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage Maker - Neumann - V475 Summing Mixer Summing Mixers
Old 23rd March 2011
Gear Maniac

Vintage Maker - Neumann - V475 Summing Mixer

This is not a plug, just a really happy customer. This guy deserves a review. I have used a bunch of summing boxes along with having mixed on SSL, Neve, etc. I gave Paul's (owner of Vintage Maker) Neumann summing mixer a shot just to see how it sounds. This thing is like a pillow for your mixes! Nice and wide, all the depth I'm looking for, and it has an FX send/Return which I found unique in a summing box a la Dangerous style.

Paul is a really down to earth guy and I'm very happy I gave it a shot. It's got a unique sonic footprint that I really like as well. Silky is the best description I can conjure. I'm currently recording a Jazz album, a Rock album, and a Rap album. I have run mixes from each project through the box and found it usable for all. It's got a nice sheen to it, and I can really get use out of the Haufe Transformers when mixing ITB. Paul has recapped these units and removed the cutting filters for those concerned about line level inputs/outputs. 32 inputs - 4 outputs...$1200.00. Solid box, nice knobs, very sexy.

Can't beat it. Just thought I'd let you slutz know about a great deal.

Two things I would change: The power switch could be a little less flimsy, and there was no data sheet or manual that came with it..but that's being very picky.

Features:

• AMP: Neumann v475-2 (a/b) Dual Vintage summing amplifier
• Max output gain: + 30db
• Max input gain: + 6dBm
• Gain adjustment range: -15dB to +15dB(via front panel pot)
• Standard level inputs: Balanced, floating to ground
• Standard level outputs: Balanced, floating to ground
• Output impedance (load imp) : >300 ohm
• Crosstalk attenuation: >110db from channel to channel
• Frequency response: <+0/-0,25dB (20Hz to 20kHz: <+0/-0,5dB
• Signal/ Noise rate: <-101dBqp
• Input Transformers: 2x Haufe RK 292
• Output Transformers: 2x HAUFE 461
• The extremely high level handling of this transformer makes it useful as a line level input AND output in addition to being one of the best sounding input transformers ever. The Haufe audio transformers used in some of the finest vintage high fidelity and professional german and european audio equipment, including Telefunken/Siemens/TAB/ recording consoles, Klangfilm theater equipment, etc.

• SUMMING: Discrete Stereo Summing network 32:2 line input
• Selected 1% metal-film resistors, (summing network loss -22 db)
• In/Out: Balanced, floating to ground
• Balanced input: 32 inputs (TRS)
• Balanced output: 2 balanced L/R out (TRS)
• Signal/ Noise rate: -101dB
• TRS connection wiring: (Tip:HOT/,Ring:COLD/Sleeve:GROUND)
• 24 input for Stereo CH (e.g.for Strings,Guitr, effect ch. etc.,)
• 8 input for mono CH(e.g.for Bd,SubBass,etc.)
• 1- 24 input: Standalone
• 25-32 input: Switchable (sw on/off mono inputs)
• 1-24 L/Rinput = 12 stereo channels
• 25 - 32 input = 8 mono channels(switcheable on/off)
• Operation voltage: 21,6 - 28V/100mA
• 110 – 220//24V – 1,5mA adapter + 2pin connector
• Rackmounted (1Unit)
• Laser engraved unique design(front/rear panel)
• Rack Color: RAL BLACK or metal-green-blue
• Unit Weight: 3.1Kg(7 lbs)
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Maker - Neumann - V475 Summing Mixer-mj_01.jpg   Vintage Maker - Neumann - V475 Summing Mixer-mj_03.jpg   Vintage Maker - Neumann - V475 Summing Mixer-neumupp.jpg  
Old 23rd March 2011
Gear Nut

Are these NOS amps in these? His prices are defiantly nice for the channel count. Do any of his boxes have any character and tone to them or are they more transparent like the Dangerous 2 Buss?
Old 29th March 2011
Gear Maniac

I'd say that there's def a character. Not that it gets in the way..but Silky is the best description. Like good old german transformers

I believe the op amps are NOS. I could be wrong. It might be listed on his site:

Summing Mixer Neumann v475 Vintage Maker - Vintage Design djpaulmusic paul taylor
Old 9th May 2011
Gear interested

Pauls Summing Box - the real thing!

Hi there, after reading through and through the forums I decided to get a summing-box of Paul. He is really a guy who is into the things he does. Every whish I mentioned was no problem for him, so I got my box (inkl. my Name on the frontpanel and a blue Power-LED!).

My box is summing 32 inputs (16x2), has 2 Stereo-Outs and uses Lawo-Transformers and what can I say: it does exactly what I was looking for. Every little thing, every detail in the mix - instruments, voices, reverb, etc - seems to be placed right where I want it to be. Actually I thought, all the time there has been a curtain between my ears and my Genelecs which has finally raised.

The box does not produce any recognizable additional noise and I loved it from the very beginning.

I have two Creamware A16 Ultra (DA-converter, wired via adat from my two Motu 2408 Mk3) connected to the summing box, then leading into a compressor (TFPro38 ex) and the back into my DAW per RME ADI-96 (only used as AD-converter).

I am very happy with this setup and I want to thank Paul for all his support and the really fine work he has done for me and my studio. Thanks!
Old 9th May 2011
Lives for gear

+10000000 for the Haufe transformers.

I have two in my summing unit post make up gain. They sound SWEET!

Peace
Illumination
Old 9th May 2011
Lives for gear

I have a Vintage Maker box with Lawo DV875/4 and work very fine. I recommend it¡¡¡
Old 9th May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metoo2011 View Post
Hello everybody!

I got a topic related problem. We are doing a survey on microphones and vintage sound, I would be happy if any of you could share its pro audio expertise.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AKG_survey

Thanks in advance!
But posting it 5+ times in the same forum constitutes spam...
Old 9th May 2011
Gear Head

There is another summing box (sonic summarizer pro) with neumann & lawo cards, haufe & pikatron transformers, 32 inputs for 1995,-€.

Vintage Maker - Neumann - V475 Summing Mixer-vintagetools-sonic-summarizer-pro.jpg

vintagetools sonic summarizer pro
Old 26th May 2011
Gear Head

Danca Neumann v475

This passive summing is not vintage, but it uses the trans Neumann v475 "True Floating balanced",
which has an amazing focus, and a three-dimensionality sound, for an incredible mix.

Old 5th June 2011
Gear interested

Summing Mixer Neumann v475 Vintage Maker

Just bought a 36 ch Summing Mixer Neumann v475 by Vintage Maker - Vintage Design djpaulmusic paul taylor.I´m about to remix all the works that are about to be released in my label,because the improvement in sound quality is amazing. Its like you get back the integrity of the sound as you recorded, astounishing.
Old 5th June 2011
Lives for gear

I have had an eye on these for quite a while. Has anybody here done an A/B test that they would not mind to post? The exact same mix summed ITB and OTB to get an idea of what´s different. Would be fantastic!
Old 9th June 2011
Gear interested

+1 to the above posts. I got the filtek 16 channel version to use in a fully treated project space at the beginning of the year... throw in a pair of ensembles and set focal twins and ... well lets say this 'compact' set up blows clients of all genres away... Full stop. The clarity, imaging and tonality is simply astonishing for the outlay. An aural pleasure . If you are itb, got some nice valvie toys (and understand analogue gain staging within a daw - its amazing how many don't!) and want to get the rich and silky console joy this is the best 500 quid you could possibly spend....IMHO (ok sprinkle a healthy few k for the other bits!)
Old 9th June 2011
Lives for gear

I've got an 80-channel V475 from Vintage Maker -the build quality is excellent & Paul is a great guy! Mine also arrived very quickly via International Post.

I'm awaiting our DA's so I'll chine-in on the sound quality as soon as we get her loaded-up.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 10th June 2011
Lives for gear

Mark, will you do a straight comparison with an ITB mix (exact same mix just summed ITB)? I am dying to hear that comparison!
Best,
Flo
Old 20th June 2011
Lives for gear

Ok.... can someone explain summing for me??
This all looks and sounds fantastic, but from what I gather individual tracks or busses are sent through this analog unit, then rerecorded back to the DAW??
Since it's being sent back to Digital anyway how is this helping?
Or am I missing the point....
Old 20th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YULOGY View Post
Ok.... can someone explain summing for me??
This all looks and sounds fantastic, but from what I gather individual tracks or busses are sent through this analog unit, then rerecorded back to the DAW??
Since it's being sent back to Digital anyway how is this helping?
Or am I missing the point....
And while we're at it...what the hell is an "EQ"?
:-)

ps - the search function is your friend. or foe, depending on how you look at it...
Old 20th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderBro Flo View Post

ps - the search function is your friend. or foe, depending on how you look at it...
Cause they're totally the same thing right??
Could've just given me an answer mate.
Old 20th June 2011
Lives for gear

Sorry man I just thought it was funny that someone with your signature is unfamiliar with the concept of OTB summing. I can't give you "the" answer as it does not exist - it is opinion vs opinion, an ongoing never-ending debate about a certain topic. hence, the search function is your friend!
Old 8th July 2011
Lives for gear

Hi Djpaulmusic,

your website is down at the moment.

I have a question for you:

Would it be possible to have several options for output?

For example:

1. output A with Haufe
2. output B with Cairnhill
3. output C with Lundahl.

Also, would it be possible to parallel mix to it?

I would be interested if such a thing is possible.
Old 8th July 2011
Geariophile

Quote:

LOL....austrian humour!! heh
Old 8th July 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Mark, will you do a straight comparison with an ITB mix (exact same mix just summed ITB)? I am dying to hear that comparison!
Best,
Flo
Oh yes, I´d be interested in this, too. Looks really interesting. This box with two different sets of output Transformers (one set on each of its two outputs) to choose from would be great.
Old 8th July 2011
Lives for gear

Guys - I'd love to share some mixes, but our construction schedule is behind many weeks, and I'm unsure when the DAW & Vintage Maker will be setup.

However, when it is I will report in!
Old 12th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by derobertisdj View Post
This passive summing is not vintage, but it uses the trans Neumann v475 "True Floating balanced",
which has an amazing focus, and a three-dimensionality sound, for an incredible mix.

Now THAT is a beautiful box! heh
Old 11th September 2011
Gear interested

Hi everybody:-)
This is my first post on the forum..I'm sorry but my english is not very good!..I have just bought a forty channel neumann summing mixer from vintage maker and...it's amazing!!!! The difference from my old summing box (a vintage design Suj 1) is really huge!! The new mixer has much more punch and detail and everything sounds bigger and wider!! ..and, last but not least, the quality-price ratio is crazy:-))

highly recommended:-))
Old 23rd September 2011
MPZ
Gear maniac

^^ NICE! That right there is my kinda summing box! Also very cool to see that you actually went out and made this request happen. So Kudos.
Old 17th October 2011
Gear interested

Hi .

it s my first post here ...so ...hello everybody !
i just received a vintage maker Neumann - V475 Summing Mixer / 32 in.

the difference with the ITB mixes in protools is awesome...deep, warm, dynamic...i m really impressed by the quality .

+1
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear

Whats the difference in sound between LAWO (Haufe/Pikatron) and Neumann (Haufe/Haufe) ??
Old 18th October 2011
Here for the gear

Neumann - Lawo difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlyman View Post
Whats the difference in sound between LAWO (Haufe/Pikatron) and Neumann (Haufe/Haufe) ??
hi there, IMHO based on customer feedbacks, the Lawo is a little bit transparent, good for modern musik :dejanbuba " first thing I've noticed was that mix is "glued together". I have a feeling of working with a tape, like the nasty transients are smoother, thus allowing for a warmer mix. It has a certain "velvety" feel to it. I also have the feeling that haufe transformers generate additional harmonics, that make the impression of excellent equal frequency distribution all over the spectrum. Mix is not dull or over exited, just plain great analog sounding.
Stereo image is unbelivable. A huge step up from MiB (mix in a box). Bass frequencies are well balanced (from bottom mid all over to sub)"
more: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6698872-post4.html
btw every system sounds different - in some cases significantly different..

4in1 Summing Mixer Neumann - Lawo - Filtek - Passive Insert/Return - Stereo to mono option - YouTube

Old 24th October 2011
Gear interested

I bought neumann v475 from Paul the Vintagemaker ( Vintage Summing Mixer Amplifier Neumann v475 Filtek Lawo Vintage Maker - Vintage Design ).
It sounds very very good!. I think i will buy another one from him.
Nice work Paul!!
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear Head

hello ,
i don't see panpot control

how can be routed a mono tracks in the stereo panorama ?
O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiZKiD View Post
This is not a plug, just a really happy customer. This guy deserves a review. I have used a bunch of summing boxes along with having mixed on SSL, Neve, etc. I gave Paul's (owner of Vintage Maker) Neumann summing mixer a shot just to see how it sounds. This thing is like a pillow for your mixes! Nice and wide, all the depth I'm looking for, and it has an FX send/Return which I found unique in a summing box a la Dangerous style.

Paul is a really down to earth guy and I'm very happy I gave it a shot. It's got a unique sonic footprint that I really like as well. Silky is the best description I can conjure. I'm currently recording a Jazz album, a Rock album, and a Rap album. I have run mixes from each project through the box and found it usable for all. It's got a nice sheen to it, and I can really get use out of the Haufe Transformers when mixing ITB. Paul has recapped these units and removed the cutting filters for those concerned about line level inputs/outputs. 32 inputs - 4 outputs...$1200.00. Solid box, nice knobs, very sexy.

Can't beat it. Just thought I'd let you slutz know about a great deal.

Two things I would change: The power switch could be a little less flimsy, and there was no data sheet or manual that came with it..but that's being very picky.

Features:

• AMP: Neumann v475-2 (a/b) Dual Vintage summing amplifier
• Max output gain: + 30db
• Max input gain: + 6dBm
• Gain adjustment range: -15dB to +15dB(via front panel pot)
• Standard level inputs: Balanced, floating to ground
• Standard level outputs: Balanced, floating to ground
• Output impedance (load imp) : >300 ohm
• Crosstalk attenuation: >110db from channel to channel
• Frequency response: <+0/-0,25dB (20Hz to 20kHz: <+0/-0,5dB
• Signal/ Noise rate: <-101dBqp
• Input Transformers: 2x Haufe RK 292
• Output Transformers: 2x HAUFE 461
• The extremely high level handling of this transformer makes it useful as a line level input AND output in addition to being one of the best sounding input transformers ever. The Haufe audio transformers used in some of the finest vintage high fidelity and professional german and european audio equipment, including Telefunken/Siemens/TAB/ recording consoles, Klangfilm theater equipment, etc.

• SUMMING: Discrete Stereo Summing network 32:2 line input
• Selected 1% metal-film resistors, (summing network loss -22 db)
• In/Out: Balanced, floating to ground
• Balanced input: 32 inputs (TRS)
• Balanced output: 2 balanced L/R out (TRS)
• Signal/ Noise rate: -101dB
• TRS connection wiring: (Tip:HOT/,Ring:COLD/Sleeve:GROUND)
• 24 input for Stereo CH (e.g.for Strings,Guitr, effect ch. etc.,)
• 8 input for mono CH(e.g.for Bd,SubBass,etc.)
• 1- 24 input: Standalone
• 25-32 input: Switchable (sw on/off mono inputs)
• 1-24 L/Rinput = 12 stereo channels
• 25 - 32 input = 8 mono channels(switcheable on/off)
• Operation voltage: 21,6 - 28V/100mA
• 110 – 220//24V – 1,5mA adapter + 2pin connector
• Rackmounted (1Unit)
• Laser engraved unique design(front/rear panel)
• Rack Color: RAL BLACK or metal-green-blue
• Unit Weight: 3.1Kg(7 lbs)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search