The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is the Digidesign control 24 worth the price
Old 21st March 2011
Gear Head

Is the Digidesign control 24 worth the price

So i was thinking about adding a digidesign control 24 to my home studio set up but after reading about the power source problem and people having problem with the getting it to connect. I decided to ask for help. Is it worth paying the 3,000. How smooth does it run? If you have a better route to go or any question of the gear i have reply and i will answer it asap.

Thanks
Magic
Old 21st March 2011
Complete waste of money Man, buggy as hell and constant service issues.dfegad
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

I had two so far, never a problem. I can't live without it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

Excuse my ignorance, but 3k? Isn't the Control 24 more in the region of 9k?
Old 21st March 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxis View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but 3k? Isn't the Control 24 more in the region of 9k?
the older version not the new c24
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

You can buy a decent shape control 24 for about $2,500. The newer C24 is more to the $6,000 range.

Old 21st March 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by parissound View Post
You can buy a decent shape control 24 for about $2,500. The newer C24 is more to the $6,000 range.

I almost purchase a pro control with 2 fader packs with desk for 2,950 but it was sold....where can i buy a c24 for 6,000 ill save it just get a newer one if u tell me
Old 21st March 2011
Gear Guru
The old control 24 is wonderful when the power supply works!!!!
That was always the problem.
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

I have seen them sell for even less then 6grand used on eBay. Google is your friend.

Old 21st March 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
The old control 24 is wonderful when the power supply works!!!!
That was always the problem.
Yes.

And I've had my issues with mine, but overall it's been great and I love it.

I think I paid to have it fixed once. $325.

I've had to clean the contacts once. $14.99.

And they replaced the power supply for free just after I bought it.

This is going on 10 years.

I think it's worth it.

Just don't use any analog on the thing. Bypass it all.
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Yes.

I think it's worth it.

+1

s0nguy
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

we got a DIGIDESIGN CONtrol 24 ,,, used ebay for 2500 about 4 years ago, worked great for about a month.. then the power supply crapped out... 400 bucks for the power swap and its been running like a champ ever since.

after 4 years of constant use, we have started to wear out the transport controls, need to get ours cleaned or the play/record buttons swapped out.

we like it, the clients like it, thumbsup

soooo we just bought a 2nd one, this one has a lot less mileage on it, 3k.

now once the first one is fixed we will have a back up unit ready to swap out mid session if the new one ever goes bad... or at least a controller for studio B.

some say its just a mouse, which it is, but fpr transport, flying faders, and the only analog thing we use is the talkback mic... but since we don't have a big console, the clients don't know or care either way as long as it works and the pretty lights.... ah....

the c24 is the same thing just 2x or 3x the price!
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomiboy View Post
Complete waste of money Man, buggy as hell and constant service issues.dfegad
I've had one for years...not a single problem...works great, looks great. It saves a ton of time when you learn to use it....talk to people who actually have them to get info. And I'm so sick of that peeing monkey...how many times has that joke been told...
L.
Old 21st March 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigfrog View Post

some say its just a mouse, which it is, but fpr transport, flying faders, and the only analog thing we use is the talkback mic... but since we don't have a big console, the clients don't know or care either way as long as it works and the pretty lights.... ah....
If a mouse is a bicycle then the control 24 is a Lexxus.

Both will get you to the store. One will be much quicker with quite a bit more elegance.

The key to mixing well is to mix quickly. If someone can mix quickly on a mouse, I am impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigfrog View Post
the c24 is the same thing just 2x or 3x the price!
I was really excited when the new C24 came out but it wasn't enuff of an upgrade to me. I don't use the analog section anyway and they moved the Automation Modes all the way to the top which is ridiculous for mixing to me.
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
I've had one for years...not a single problem...works great, looks great. It saves a ton of time when you learn to use it....talk to people who actually have them to get info. And I'm so sick of that peeing monkey...how many times has that joke been told...
L.
I chose to go with a used ProControl with 2fader packs and the edit pack. I also have a spare edit pack.

You can buy it for the same amount of money.

Artist series are better controllers but they are so damn puny!

For $2.5-3k, the Control 24 or the ProControl + (2)fader packs are still great additions to get your hand off of the mouse.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
Artist series are better controllers but they are so damn puny!
I have a MC Mix + MC Control so I'm curious - In what way do you think they are better than the C24..?

I was actually considering adding MC Mixes and a Transport to my setup, but due to some QC issues I was interested in the C24 - especially at the 3k price point. And then you write the artist gear is better...? *confused*
Old 21st March 2011
Gear Nut

Hmmm, didn't know about the power issues. I was actually contemplating getting one used.

Maybe can go for the Euphonix MC mix and control setup, they work with PT now right?
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxis View Post
I have a MC Mix + MC Control so I'm curious - In what way do you think they are better than the C24..?

I was actually considering adding MC Mixes and a Transport to my setup, but due to some QC issues I was interested in the C24 - especially at the 3k price point. And then you write the artist gear is better...? *confused*
MC Control is just awsome. HUI is limited but now that barrier is broken and PT9 supports the eucontrol protocol.

1. The 8 dedicated encoders and touch screen for plugin editing blows the Control 24 out of the water! It is hell on earth trying to get the information out of the 4 character LEDs on the Control 24. So much faster to use a mouse than trying to figure that mess out. With the MC Control, the information is there, color coded and full decription of the parameter you are trying to edit. This is also a more pleasant experience on the ProControl. It has 8 encoders and an 8 character led display for plug in editing with many more dedecated buttons.

2. Many people use the audio section in the Control 24. I am not going to knock it and I have mixed recordings that were made through the pres and monitored from the control 24 and it has come out decent but really all of those knobs and buttons are useless for me. Makes the unit huge without a need to be that way.

3. Artist Series controls more than just PT. It is actually application aware and can control 4 apps at once.

I have extensive time with the Control 24 and quite some time with the MC Control. For plug in editing the MC Control is just awsome. I must admit that the Control 24 just works and it works great! The MC Control is buggy but nothing that is a deal breaker. I decided to turn off the monitors and mix with my ears. I can do this with the MC Control and a couple of mixes but I can not do this to good with the Control 24. Only becuase limited amount of feedback that the Control 24 offers.

YMMV
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

Control 24 is awesome. If the power supply blows, just get it fixed, no big.

I just use mine for faders, exf sends, pans, solo, mute and transport. Like Kenny says, forget the analog features.

-R
Old 21st March 2011
Gear Guru

Yeah. I still use my mouse (pen) for plugin controls.
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

Budget $2500 for the Control 24 and $500 for the power supply replacement and you're golden.
Old 22nd March 2011
Gear Head

Thank for all the reply i decide to buy one and before i added it to my studio take it for a power supply swap and get it cleaned up

Thanks
Magic
Old 22nd March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Yes.

I think it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nguy View Post
+1

s0nguy
so in your opinion, should i not buy a control24 if i was planning on using for:

talkback
monitoring
"last resort" utility preamps

basically, i am thinking that if the control24 can serve these functions as well as a control surface for mixing it seems like a pretty good deal for $2500.

but not so much if i still need to add another piece for monitoring and the pres are totally worthless.

thanks
Old 22nd March 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by never-enough View Post
so in your opinion, should i not buy a control24 if i was planning on using for:

talkback
monitoring
"last resort" utility preamps

basically, i am thinking that if the control24 can serve these functions as well as a control surface for mixing it seems like a pretty good deal for $2500.

but not so much if i still need to add another piece for monitoring and the pres are totally worthless.

thanks
I do use mine for talkback and headphones.

They could be a "last resort" utility preamps but just barely. I found a used Carvin MX1688 which I use for that purpose and it's miles better and cost me $400.

For main monitoring, I would get any of the cheap passive controllers that could be had for $100 - $150.
Old 6th July 2011
Here for the gear

I was also considering between a new C24 and a Pro Control (used) I went for the C24 and I dig it. I only want to warn you the the Pro Control might not work with newer versions of PT as it is not an option in the selection tab of PT 7.4
Old 6th July 2011
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic979 View Post
Thank for all the reply i decide to buy one and before i added it to my studio take it for a power supply swap and get it cleaned up

Thanks
Magic
IMHO that's a pretty good choice.
Old 17th February 2012
Here for the gear

Control 24 Problem

Hey guys new to the Forums

I purchased a used Control 24 about a year ago. The previous owner said that the power supply had already been replaced two years prior to me buying it and he gave me the instruction book and receipt from it so Im pretty sure it was done. The Console worked fine for about 6 months just every once and while lighting up like a christmas tree for about 5 seconds then back to normal. After that first 6 months It would light up more frequently and for longer periods of time. I took it apart and just wiggled and tightened all the connections. Put it back together and it seemed to work for about another month just fine. Now I am having the same problem again. Sometimes lighting up for 5 hours or so before working again for a few moments. Pro Tools still recognizes it though because only once in while will it put a message on the screen that it lost communication with the Control 24 and I have to restart it. So I can still work without it while its jammed up.

Is this the power supply problem you all are talking about or is this something else? Would I need to get the power Supply changed again? If so where do you have this done?

Thanks for the help guys really appreciate it.
Old 24th December 2013
Here for the gear

what about the pro control is it a good mixing console?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search