The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Giving more weight to Fem vocals
Old 17th March 2011
Lives for gear

Giving more weight to Fem vocals

First off, I’d like to say that I don’t plan to emulate sound of famous vocalists. In fact, I find that there’re not many fem singers that I truly like for their sound. For example, I do like music of Imogene Heap but I’m not a big fun of her vocal sound etc.

Anyhow, the biggest challenge is for me is that whenever I boost low mids and bass frequencies on vocals I get more pleasing sound by itself but it would sound boomy within arrangements. Also, somehow tube equipment doesn’t work very well on the vocal I’m working on right now. I’m thinking of trying different modulation fx for this task. What do you people think about it? Any suggestions and ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thank you
Old 17th March 2011
Lives for gear

parallel compression on vox has helped before.

Also trying using some slight distortion barely mixed in. Can sound cool. . .
Old 17th March 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
First off, I’d like to say that I don’t plan to emulate sound of famous vocalists. In fact, I find that there’re not many fem singers that I truly like for their sound. For example, I do like music of Imogene Heap but I’m not a big fun of her vocal sound etc.

Anyhow, the biggest challenge is for me is that whenever I boost low mids and bass frequencies on vocals I get more pleasing sound by itself but it would sound boomy within arrangements. Also, somehow tube equipment doesn’t work very well on the vocal I’m working on right now. I’m thinking of trying different modulation fx for this task. What do you people think about it? Any suggestions and ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thank you
I think you're looking for that rich, full bodied sound that can be achieved
in a few ways.

1. Tape saturation plug: this will give back harmonics to the track and
help give it a smooth, full bodied tone.

2. an 1176 can boost up some low end slightly, making it a bit warmer
also without the need to boost the lower frequencies (which you really don't want to do on a female vocal generally speaking)

3. you could add a delay/verb/chorus with some slight modulation and this
will definitely beef up those vocals. The delay time you want to shoot for
would be between 60-100ms, so it has that doubling effect and the verb
will help to smear that along with the chorus' pitch modulations.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search