The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can someone show off Metric Halo's character plugin?
Old 16th March 2011
Can someone show off Metric Halo's character plugin?

This is kind of a "shootout request". I have not yet seen any comparison of the various character emulations of the Metric Halo interfaces, but many have asked how good they are. And there were many different answers, from people saying "I hardly use my outboard pres anymore" to "they are good for adding some colour, but not comparable to the real thing". Wouldn't it be great if we would get something to listen to so we can get a better picture?

For my part, I would be very interested in especially two things. Could somebody who has a ULN2 or ULN8 maybe:

- record a vocal take through the ULN's pres without character enabled, then run the take through the various character emulations (or at least a few ones like transformer, tube, softsat) and publish all these files so we can compare what the various character emulations do to the source?

- do the same with a DI electric guitar take (without any amp sim or other effects used)?
Old 16th March 2011
Gear Addict

I just recorded some grand piano yesterday (josephson mic into uln8, so very clean) and was messing around with the various character settings - not exactly what you are after, but I would be happy to share that here in the next few days.....
Old 16th March 2011
Here for the gear

Made a quick recording for you, started with the character setting I always use for my VO work, then disabled it, then ran through a few other "character" settings. It's all here:

http://www.jberlin.com/GSlutz/Charac...g_Shootout.wav
Old 16th March 2011
Lives for gear

verbcrunch - nice! I have a uln-2 and find the character VERY useful for everything, not just voice.

I guess I would also add for parlopower that some of the more subtle character emulations are hardly noticeable on a single track - but when you put them on multiple tracks (for example a 6 - 10 track vocal part) the subtle harmonics start to really add up into a beautiful colorful sound.
Old 17th March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbcrunch View Post
Made a quick recording for you, started with the character setting I always use for my VO work, then disabled it, then ran through a few other "character" settings. It's all here:

http://www.jberlin.com/GSlutz/Charac...g_Shootout.wav
Thanks a lot for that!
I have only listened to it on headphones (well, AKG K271 Mk2 connected to a Duet, so half way decent), and I must say that the various emulations you picked for that test do not sound subtle to me at all. Some also sound quite louder than the unprocessed file, so I will have to match levels and listen again. But it looks like it gives you a really nice colour palette indeed! Thanks again!
Maybe also somebody with a sung vocal or a DI'ed guitar? I would also be very interested to hear the transformer character!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search