The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should I consider an alternative education to this...
Old 16th March 2011
Gear Nut

Should I consider an alternative education to this...

I am going to a university right now and majoring in recording and I'm starting to feel like it's a waste of time. Some of the classes I want to take are being dropped and I keep getting stuck in BS classes like music history with some old lady singing to herself in front of the class and making us memorize Baroque dances. I've only been in the program for two years and have learned a lot but its mostly book work and go do it and show it to me recording and it's gotten to where my work sounds better than a studio one of my professors owns. I want to make this a career and already get a good amount of weekend business so I'm considering trying to take it full time and keep my day job or looking for internships or looking for a semester long recording school instead. Do you guys think I should stick with it or do one of the alternatives?
Old 16th March 2011
Gear Nut

I'll also add I am more interested in running my own business than getting a job somewhere else. I want the most knowledge possible, not just a piece of paper.
Old 16th March 2011
Lives for gear
If you don't enjoy recording and mixing and such, then drop it and do biz mgmt...

Things are only a waste of time if you're not enjoying them. This is why I went
to a specialized school instead of a college...they put you in too many BS classes that
you don't need nor want and just holds you back for 4 years when you could really be
done in one with the same credentials.
Old 16th March 2011
Gear Nut

I love mixing and recording! In fact I'd like to get into doing more mixing than recording but it's the bs classes and ****ty recording classes that Piss me off. It isn't so much hands on as go do it on your own then come back and show me
Old 16th March 2011
Lives for gear
I would check to see if there are any recording schools near you. specialized vocational schools. if not, you may want to consider relocating somewhere. Mediatech Institute is where I went and we had lots of people from out of state.
Old 16th March 2011
Lives for gear

Hope you aren't taking out major loans! Unless you are buying good gear with it It sort of seems like a waste of time when you could intern or learn by doing and reading on your own. If it gets you connections to actual work then that would be one thing, but I'm not sure a school in Denver will do that.
On the flip side, there are waaaaay less useful degrees to be had
English, philosophy, BFA. (Don't mean to offend and I hope holders of said degrees will see I am joking a little)
Old 16th March 2011
Lives for gear
For the most part, it's a scam. The only thing you get is a piece of paper. That can be valuable in the sense that it can open some doors. And sometimes you'll get a good teacher who gives you some valuable tips. I spent 10,000 bucks on a private recording school. I would have been better off spending that on gear and recording myself and other musicians. And hey, you already figured it out because your stuff sounds better than your teacher's stuff. Usually these schools are WAY behind the curve in terms of how recording is actually being done and what the current trends are.

And by the way, I'm the only one in my class of 15 people who went on to actually record and own a studio. And that was because I had already done a bunch of recording before I entered the school. These recording schools often (not always) are just taking the money from naive parents and students who say "Johnny wants to be an engineer." A few years later they've lost a bunch of money and Johnny couldn't run a session if his life depended on it. There are always exceptions, and talented people can make the school situation work for them. But in general . . .
Old 17th March 2011
Gear Nut

I'm going to look into internships around the country. I'd go anywhere for a bit if I can get some great experience. I have good grades so school is only costing me like $700 a semester so it isn't too bad and I have learned a lot here (mostly about life) but I feel like I quit learning.

And exactly Marsbot! I'm the best in my class and I'm pretty sure the only one who actually makes money doing this already. Everyone seems to be kids that have no idea what they want to do with there lives and think it would be fun to sit around a studio every day while doing drugs. Most of the kids in my class didn't know the difference between a condenser or dynamic when they started and when they set up a compressor they dont know how to work it and have the threshold so high it does nothing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search