The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
so much plugs, so little time
Old 12th February 2006
Gear Maniac

so much plugs, so little time

Hi mates,

Need some opinions here, need to choose between these:

1. ReVibe or TLSpace ?

2. Smack or TL Aggro or Slightly Rude Compressor?

I'm considering the HD|2 upgrade and have a choice of 5 plugins. I am doing Audio Post, so DINR is "needed", now left with 4 more to choose.

Thanks & Regards!
[Charles]
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleslee
Hi mates,

1. ReVibe or TLSpace ?
Altiverb! But between those (2), I prefer TL Space.

Quote:
Between Smack and Slightly Rude, I like the Slightly Rude, but don't really love either.

Quote:
I'm considering the HD|2 upgrade and have a choice of 5 plugins. I am doing Audio Post, so DINR is "needed", now left with 4 more to choose.Thanks & Regards!
[Charles]

Cool! Good Luck!!
Old 8th March 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:

[Charles]
None of them. They both suck IMO. I´d definately go for Soundtoys or Cranesong Phoenix, if they´re part of the offer.

Bill
Old 8th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi mates,

1. ReVibe or TLSpace ?
I'm considering the HD|2 upgrade and have a choice of 5 plugins. I am doing Audio Post, so DINR is "needed", now left with 4 more to choose.
Thanks & Regards!
[Charles]
This might not be what you want to hear.
Skip DINR- it is archaic and doesn't sound particularly good.
I haven't used it in a couple of years now.
The Waves denoising plugins are much, much better.

I love Revibe, TL Space is good too- it is 6 of one 1/2 a dozen of the other really.
Smack is ok, Aggro is ok, SRC is ok, none are brilliant.
Out of the three I would say Smack.
Mc DSP Analog channel, Compressor Bank and Filterbank are essential imho.
Crane Song Phoenix is awesome.
Old 8th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Hi mates,

Thanks for the replies.. I know there are better plugins out there, but since I get to pick 5 for free, other than experience with DINR LE, I have not used any of the rest..

and since I am really breaking the bank trying to upgrade to HD|2, I don't think I can afford additional plugins for a while..

Also, I've recently purchased the Waves SSL Bundle (Thanks TONY!! ), so I guess my EQs and Compressors are covered..

DINR LE sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, depends on the noise levels actually. Recently, I've checked out Z-Noise, thought it was good, but there are people telling me that for noise reduction, different tools have different strengths, so I'm not exactly sure what is missing in the FULL DINR that my DINR LE doesnt have..

Since I do not have much Reverb pluigins, and if I skip DINR, maybe I'll pick REVIBE, TL SPACE, HYBRID, SYNCHRONIC and then one of the compressors or still pick DINR since I've already got the Waves SSL Bundle (Native)

Good ?
Old 8th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what is missing in the FULL DINR that my DINR LE doesnt have.
DINR TDM allows for realtime noise reduction, DINR LE is Audiosuite only...not a particularly big deal.

Quote:
Since I do not have much Reverb pluigins, and if I skip DINR, maybe I'll pick REVIBE, TL SPACE, HYBRID, SYNCHRONIC and then one of the compressors or still pick DINR since I've already got the Waves SSL Bundle (Native)

Good ?
I'd still go with DINR - especially if you're doing post work and don't have any other noise reduction tools. Yeah, it's old, but it can still be made to sound good if you know what you're doing.

I have no experience with TL stuff - but Revibe works for me when I'm using verb ITB. Smack is also useful (for me anyhow) and a good alternative to Digi's Dynamics3 bundle - and I'd imagine it'd also still sit nicely next to the SSL plugs.
Old 8th March 2006
Lives for gear

Don't forget that some plugs (like Revibe) are Accel-only, so keep that in mind if your HD2 system only consists of Process cards.
Old 8th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Hey, just so you know, there's a problem with Slightly Rude that renders it unuseable. As soon as you apply any gain reduction, the output clips. Notice that there's makeup gain but no "make-down" gain, which is what it really shoulda had.

This has been discussed here and elsewhere.

And you'll see that plugin for $395.00. Great going, digi.
fuuck
Old 8th March 2006
Lives for gear
Of the three comps (SRC, Smack, TLAggro) I have only used Smack and SRC. For my mileage Smack is one of the better and more verssatile compressor plugs wheras SRC (in the few times I have tried to put it in a mix) is by far the least useable thing I have in my plug folder.

my 2 cents... :-).... YMMV
-Lee
Old 9th March 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower
...wheras SRC (in the few times I have tried to put it in a mix) is by far the least useable thing I have in my plug folder.
I agree absolutely. I don´t get the point with this obscure collection of code.

Bill

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search