The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
anybody watch Idol last night?
Old 10th March 2011
Lives for gear

anybody watch Idol last night?

Two MAJOR problems - first off, the contestants worked with several pro producers, who apparently created arrangements for them to perform to - in general the arrangments just sucked, they were so simplistic and poorly executed i could basically hear nothing except the kick and bass, with an occasional synth wash - no guitar, no embellishments of any kind, just a boring karaoke type track. very bad, considering the live band the previous week was outstanding.

second, it was clear that the singers could not hear themselves on stage, and it was reflected in almost everyone's performance - they could not stay on pitch due to no aural feedback from the monitoring setup. the singers should be wearing IEMs or they need to find some other solution to that issue.
Old 11th March 2011
I have a solution. Dont watch it. The show is what it is. Its entertianment and it jumped the shark many years ago
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
just a boring karaoke type track.
Isn't that what all popular music is?
Old 11th March 2011
screw it! How many so-called artists survive after the first release there?
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

How many artists survive period.
It goes to show,its not that easy.
Old 11th March 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by i604 View Post
Jennifer Hudson
Carrie Underwood
Kelly Clarkson??
Old 11th March 2011
>Jennifer Hudson
>Carrie Underwood
>Kelly Clarkson??

So that's three out of like, 10? Where's Clay Aiken these days? Ruben Studdard? The guy who beat Adam Lambert? Back pumping gas and playing state fairs, where they should be.

Re: jumping the shark: American Idol couldn't possibily jump the shark, as that implies that it was at one time something worth watching. AI is itself the embodiment of America collectively jumping the shark.
Old 11th March 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojak View Post
>Jennifer Hudson
>Carrie Underwood
>Kelly Clarkson??

So that's three out of like, 10? Where's Clay Aiken these days? Ruben Studdard? The guy who beat Adam Lambert? Back pumping gas and playing state fairs, where they should be.

Re: jumping the shark: American Idol couldn't possibily jump the shark, as that implies that it was at one time something worth watching. AI is itself the embodiment of America collectively jumping the shark.
talent doesn't guarantee success in this business (and vice versa)
even I know that
Old 11th March 2011
Gear Addict

I would rather endure physical harm than watch American Idol which relies on the art of exploitation and ******y for music. Welcome to the fast food of tv.
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

Jacob Lusk is unbelieveable. No other singer alive today could carry his mic cord.
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

Back on topic,

Jnorman, I agree with you. So far this season the overall sound mixes have not been very good at all.
Old 11th March 2011
Gear Guru

I have a solution for people not interested, don't read/respond to the thread.

About the show, I've been watching this one, best season yet. Tyler is a hoot.

But I agree, this week was their worst performances, every one of them. I don't see why they don't do their best with the band backing them. Sure the arrangements weren't all great, but these people don't really know how to work off the band, just too green I guess.

And seriously, you just don't try to do Joe Cocker like that. Not unless you are John Belushi. heh
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

I rarely watch TV, other than sports, but did manage to catch a couple of the "guest" performances on Idol over the years - those were pretty good AIR - was it Lulu singing "To Sir With Love" a couple years ago? Great arrangement and performance AIR. Anyway, my 2c.
Old 11th March 2011
Gear Head

I'm cracking up at all the Beats by Dre product placement this year. I particularly laughed at the Beats sticker on the Bottle mic Tuesday. I wonder how many newbies are combing the web looking for a gigantic microphone made by Dr. Dre.
Old 11th March 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pearce View Post
I'm cracking up at all the Beats by Dre product placement this year. I particularly laughed at the Beats sticker on the Bottle mic Tuesday. I wonder how many newbies are combing the web looking for a gigantic microphone made by Dr. Dre.
thumbsup...HA! I really enjoyed that comment!!! Now that's entertainment
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

Who was that chick at the piano singing with Puff Daddy last night? Smokin' hot and what a voice!

BTW he will always be "puff daddy", quit changing your name dude.

Oh yeah, and those dresses the back up singers were wearing with the "slit" up the side... holy moly that's a lot of leg. And nearly a glimpse of much more.

They REAALLY need to do something about the mix this year. Bad is an understatement.

I was so disappointed in Paul's rendition of Ryan Adams' 'come pick me up'. One of my favorite songs. Dude, you can't perform that song with a smile. I like Paul though... probably my favorite. Pia's going to win it though.
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
And seriously, you just don't try to do Joe Cocker like that. Not unless you are John Belushi. heh
I liked it. At least he performed an artistic translation. So many of the contestants just 'sing'... yawn.

That one girl's yodel was fantastic!
Old 11th March 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndykstra View Post
Pia's going to win it though.
Agree, she is the best singer. 'All By Myself' was just wrong though, I sing that one myself, it's a tough one.

Quote:

She had the best performance, and the yodel actually wasn't *that* annoying. heh
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

pre-fab stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojak View Post
>Jennifer Hudson
>Carrie Underwood
>Kelly Clarkson??

You forgot Fantasia Barrino! So that's 4 out of 10. Not too shabby for "pre-fabricated" starz, don't you think?
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Pia's going to win it though.
I disagree although I love her, Jacob is the only one everyone is truly in awe of. They can't even judge him he's so good.
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

American idol (season 10)

Quote:
I liked it. At least he performed an artistic translation. So many of the contestants just 'sing'... yawn.

Casey is def. my favorite. A real "entertainer" that one. Pia's vocals blew my mind. How can you sing that well and look that great at the same time? That yodeling was pretty sick too! How does one learn to yodel anyway?
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

Let's also not sit here and pretend the "lesser" winners aren't better off than they were before the show. Lot's of people would love to be sought after for the state fair circuit. I know I would.
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
I disagree although I love her, Jacob is the only one everyone is truly in awe of. They can't even judge him he's so good.
I think Jacob over sings. His range is incredible, but his constant effort to relive the 'god bless the child' moment is obvious.

Not unlike that guy from last season that slayed Paula's 'straight up'.

I think those two performances are probably my favorite Idol moments.
Old 11th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Jacob Lusk is unbelieveable. No other singer alive today could carry his mic cord.
i think he's amazing for leading my church choir but why would anyone want to buy a pop album from him?
Old 11th March 2011
Gear Maniac

also +1 on the crappy mixes. the vocals are really hard to hear sometimes -- is it those mics they're using with the Beats logo?
Old 11th March 2011
Gear Guru

Personally I think Jacob should have been cut long ago.

My daughter, 15, asked me a while back why he is still there. Her favorites from the beginning were Paul, Casey and Lauren, though now she is backing off Lauren a bit.
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

Daughtry's talented.

I agree AI is just one big marketing ad.

Randy Jackson's the real deal. Been in the studio with him, talented guy.

Why is Jimmy Iovine wearing Beats by Dr Dre? What about AKG K240's, Sennheiser HD650's, Grado RS1 or Sony MDR's? Been seeing a ton of college kids wearing those lately, are they even accurate?
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scud133 View Post
i think he's amazing for leading my church choir but why would anyone want to buy a pop album from him?
By him and the funky looking gal with the bad teeth tearing it up with old standards (gospel, jazz, R&B type stuff) - maybe the question is why would anyone want to by any pop album. The average AI fan is probably 20 yrs old - yet many of those teens in the audience seem to go nuts over Jacob and Casey. Who knows, maybe the kids are finally looking for music with a little but more substance - this could truly be the end of the world...

I really like Casey's styling - he's very musical - don't know if he could sell a ton of albums though. I think Jacob could, kinda the new Luther V.
Old 11th March 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by i604 View Post
I had no idea in the many years that anyone has big it big. Maybe its because I never listen to radio.
Old 11th March 2011
Gear Guru

My son went to see Sugarland last night in town, Casey James open for them, said he played SRV style and played his ass off but never really moved around much, talented but boring show.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search