The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
anybody watch Idol last night?
Old 12th March 2011
Lives for gear

It always seems that whoever sings the loudest is considered the best.
Old 12th March 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins View Post
It wasn't always that way. It use to be about dynamics, emotion, and working the microphone.

Old 12th March 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
I disagree although I love her, Jacob is the only one everyone is truly in awe of. They can't even judge him he's so good.
Really? Husky Lusky? Maybe it's just me but I can't stand that type of vocal. Can't imagine the 13 year old girls that drive that show will put up with it much longer.
Old 12th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchas View Post
By him and the funky looking gal with the bad teeth tearing it up with old standards (gospel, jazz, R&B type stuff) - maybe the question is why would anyone want to by any pop album. The average AI fan is probably 20 yrs old - yet many of those teens in the audience seem to go nuts over Jacob and Casey. Who knows, maybe the kids are finally looking for music with a little but more substance - this could truly be the end of the world...

I really like Casey's styling - he's very musical - don't know if he could sell a ton of albums though. I think Jacob could, kinda the new Luther V.
Exactly! I'm passed the whole teeny bopper thing and if my daughter likes it, then I probably don't.

Jacob and Casey and the kid that sang Paul McCartney are the most talented and the rest will sell more albums if anybody bought them that is.

Its refreshing to hear real singing and I'm glad its oversung by Jacob and its sooo nice without autotune as well. Its nice to hear somebody that talented in todays mediocre crop of artists.
Old 12th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbro View Post
Really? Husky Lusky? Maybe it's just me but I can't stand that type of vocal. Can't imagine the 13 year old girls that drive that show will put up with it much longer.
I could care less who wins it. I'm judging it by what "I" like, not some 13 year old girl. Aren't you?tutt
Old 12th March 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins View Post
For the most part, that's true, but there are some exceptions...last week, Thia was one of the top 2-3 and she was very restrained.

But yes, there's a public perception that the high notes, the runs (not THOSE runs) - ya know, the vocal glitz is the mark of a good singer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojak View Post
>Jennifer Hudson
>Carrie Underwood
>Kelly Clarkson??

So that's three out of like, 10? Where's Clay Aiken these days? Ruben Studdard? The guy who beat Adam Lambert? Back pumping gas and playing state fairs, where they should be.

Re: jumping the shark: American Idol couldn't possibily jump the shark, as that implies that it was at one time something worth watching. AI is itself the embodiment of America collectively jumping the shark.
Did they run over your dog or something? There certainly are talented singers that come from that show, and for that reason, it's worth checking out.

As any one hit wonder will tell you, a killer song trumps talent any time. And these ex-winners simply haven't had many good songs, which is why they're not on top (songwriters & producers are as much to blame here). I think you could argue, however, that they lack songwriting/producing chops of artists coming from the "traditional" means of making it big.

I think the music scene in general, has undergone (and is still undergoing) a huge shift. Look at last year...only 13 albums sold 1 million copies or more. 326 million albums total, was the lowest number since 1991. If you consider these numbers, hardly ANYONE is doing well.
Old 12th March 2011
Gear Nut

What the hell is up with the vocal sound? I watch on a stereo tv and the vox sound like ****.
Old 17th March 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pearce View Post
I'm cracking up at all the Beats by Dre product placement this year. I particularly laughed at the Beats sticker on the Bottle mic Tuesday. I wonder how many newbies are combing the web looking for a gigantic microphone made by Dr. Dre.
I thought that was funny... cause I was watching with my wife, and I'm like "Hey, that's cool that they have a BLUE mic.... it's like the big brother to the mic I use" (I have a Kiwi). Then they do another shot and there's a big "Dre" logo on it.... and I was like "What the heck?!?!". I mean, I get the marketing aspect of the Beats brand and all... but on a Bottle? Just seems to weaken the BLUE brand, rather than improve the Beats brand, in my opinion.
Old 17th March 2011
RiF
Lives for gear

Dieter Bohlen, the host of the German Idol-franchise once said in the show: "This is no singing contest". How true...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search