The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
57's on guitars suck big time!!
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

57's on guitars suck big time!!

So is it just me or are others finding the good old 57 doesn't work for metal/rock bands....to blend with a ribbon is ok....I'm tracking a metal band and put up a d112...no top....fits in the mix...... with a little fatso on both blended with a 57 for some top. The 57 by itself is so fizzy....is it me. Also...got my hands on the electro harmonics ribbon. The reviewers blasted it cause its so dark...but on heavy gt it was really creamy with a 57 for a little top.
Tim
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

My mics that I usually use on amps:
Royer R-121
BLUE Baby Bottle
Shure Beta 57
Shure SM57

I still love using the 57's. They just work so well sometimes.
Old 12th February 2006
Gear Maniac

I've personaly found that if your trying to get a smooth high gain type sound the 57 isn't very usefull.. other people seem to get great results with it *shruggs*
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

f*** metal anyways, 57 works good enough for me
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

Mic placement is critical. But maybe it's your amps speakers that you don't like? Creamy Celestions aren't going to sound like EVs or JBLs. Seems to my ears that modern metal benefits from solid state amps and high watt clean speakers that let the transients through. Or even DI sounds.

I have uses for SM57, SM7 and LCDs like NTK on my Mesa/EV Cab.
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

sm57s work on anything
beta57a do most of the sm57 thing but nicer and a tigher pickup pattern
if you cant get a good soud with a shure dynamic then you have other problems. although there can be better options and combinations.

you arnt using those sm57 knock offs that look exacly the same are you.
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

I've gone back and forth in my opinion of the '57' on hi gain stuff. Lately I've been in a 'diggin them again' phase... next week, next amp, next moon(?)... who know's!
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

I do believe is more about Mic placing than the mic.... Maybe where the 121 works is not the place for a 57. But 57 on guitars has always work for me ( and I do Metal Rock)
Old 12th February 2006

If 57's suck big time, ask yourself why they are the most common mic to use on guitar amps in the world. Perhaps your are pointing the finger of blame in the wrong direction.

narco
Old 12th February 2006
Gear Nut

yeah

there is a hidden message in there somewhere
Old 12th February 2006
Harmless Wacko

A well placed SM57 brings joy to my heart as a mix AE.

All I'm gonna say.

SM.
Old 12th February 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
If 57's suck big time, ask yourself why they are the most common mic to use on guitar amps in the world. Perhaps your are pointing the finger of blame in the wrong direction.

narco
(quoting myself!)

then again perhaps you are pointing the mic in the wrong direction

narco
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

57 on guitars amps is great if you know mic placement and the amp sounds good. Moving the mic half an inch will make the world of difference.
Old 12th February 2006

The SM57 can sound very thin sometimes, agreed, but the preamp you use with dynamics WILL make a big difference - what preamps have you tried?
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

I used to hate 57s on guitar cabs. The old Unidyne ones seem a bit less fizzy. With the right pre and right amp, they sound great. Older amps and thicker pres seem to pair with 57's better. The orange AD30 through a marshall 2x12 rig that I use seems to sound better with the 57 than the 121.
Old 12th February 2006

I'm not the biggest fan of a 57 on a cab. Kinda thin and gacky sounding to me but it blends well with a 121.
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

Try a Sennheiser 441 instead.
Old 12th February 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail
Try a Sennheiser 441 instead.
well put, the 421's are great as well.
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for Jesus

I have never had a problem with a 57 on a guitar cab. especially for metal, hard rock.

try moving the mic around.... and listen close to what is coming from the speaker... also you dont need to crank the amps to 11

Old 12th February 2006
Jai guru deva om

"Big time" is a bit harsh, sometimes the only room left in a mix is what the 57 gave you.

Having said that though I'm using a ribbon mic 90% of the time, the crunch and midrange is just so much more real.

War
Old 12th February 2006
Gear Addict

The 57 will only sound as good as the engineer who is placing it. The 57 has probably been used on a majority of the guitars on all the metal albums you've heard.
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

Man, I don't think they suck at ALL. I just tried a Royer and 57 on 2 amps...the 57's won on both amps in the track. I combined the 2 amps (Bad Cat and Marshall) with the 57 and it killed in the track. Very rock and roll.
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

Sennheiser MD409U3
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

57's do NOT suck. Your amp/placement/room/technique sucks.

You need to read this http://www.badmuckingfastard.com/sound/slipperman.html
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

KSM32's on cab's are dope
Old 12th February 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie
Man, I don't think they suck at ALL. I just tried a Royer and 57 on 2 amps...the 57's won on both amps in the track. I combined the 2 amps (Bad Cat and Marshall) with the 57 and it killed in the track. Very rock and roll.
It's funny you say that...I was just reading where someone was talking about using a Royer 121 on heavy guitars. He said something to the effect of "I spent hours with mic placement with the 121, I tried EQ'ing things, etc. Ultimately, I went back to the 57 because I realized I was wasting countless hours of placement and EQ trying to make my $1000 mic sound like an $80 mic (SM57)."
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

Yesterday I was tracking a Marshall which sounded incredible before with a 57. I couldn'd find the spot! Same amp, musician, room, guitar, place in my studio...I don't know; sounded weak. The SM7 sounded more focused. What was that?
Anyhow...I love 57s in cabins. I guess last night wasn't my day, or is the full moon.

Lives for gear

The only thing 57's are good for are doorstops and to hammer nails in the floor to keep a kit in place.
Old 13th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman
The only thing 57's are good for are doorstops and to hammer nails in the floor to keep a kit in place.
Hench and James...I'm with yah. Tracking a shredder tune for Magna Charta today....got my d112 and 57 combo on a 4x12 with a IBP to get the phase right...using a pair of dakings......sucked out a little 500....rolled off at 100...added some 100.........I'm not saying I don't use them..just for heavier stuff I'm beggining to feek a couple of royers in my futre...blended of course...
Tim
Old 13th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML
The 57 by itself is so fizzy....is it me.
Tim
No, its the guitar amp. Thats what it actually sounds like

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search