The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Single mono Avantone on Lavry DA-10?
Old 10th March 2011
Lives for gear

Single mono Avantone on Lavry DA-10?

I wish to purchase a single active Avantone Mixcube for mono mixing from my Lavry DA-10 which does have a mono switch. What's the best way to hook up a single Avantone? Can I just use one of the Lavry's outputs and flip the mono switch or do I need to split both outputs into one speaker?

Thanks!
Old 11th March 2011
Gear Head

The Mono switch uses a mixer to add the left and right channels together before it reached the output stage; so it is a good way to "make mono" from the stereo signal without any possibility of interaction with external circuitry.

So- YES; with the front panel switch set to "Mono," you can just take one of the DA10's XLR outputs to get an accurate mono mix from the digital source to feed the active Avantone Mixcube's XLR input. The same signal will be present on both XLR outputs.

Lavry Engineering Technical Support
Old 14th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavrytech View Post
The Mono switch uses a mixer to add the left and right channels together before it reached the output stage; so it is a good way to "make mono" from the stereo signal without any possibility of interaction with external circuitry.

So- YES; with the front panel switch set to "Mono," you can just take one of the DA10's XLR outputs to get an accurate mono mix from the digital source to feed the active Avantone Mixcube's XLR input. The same signal will be present on both XLR outputs.

Lavry Engineering Technical Support
The Lavry DA10 manual states:

-MONO mode is provided for monitoring the “mono compatibility” of a mix, and is most often used
in professional recording applications. The MONO signal is the AVERAGE (sum divided by 2) of
the Left and Right signals. This approach helps to preserve the perceived volume level when
switching between stereo and mono while listening to typical stereo music program.

So if I just connect one output to the Mixcube's XLR input, won't my overall volume level be divided in half?
Old 14th March 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Marrvel View Post

-MONO mode is provided for monitoring the “mono compatibility” of a mix, and is most often used
in professional recording applications. The MONO signal is the AVERAGE (sum divided by 2) of
the Left and Right signals. This approach helps to preserve the perceived volume level when
switching between stereo and mono while listening to typical stereo music program.

So if I just connect one output to the Mixcube's XLR input, won't my overall volume level be divided in half?
It shouldn't, It will just be a normal line level signal. You don't need extra gain before the poweramp (inside of the speaker)
Old 17th March 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Marrvel View Post

The reasoning for this approach is:
If you take two identical signals and "sum" them (add them together using a mixer), the result will be the same signal TWICE as loud. Since a large part of most mixes are instruments or vocals "panned" to the middle of the stereo mix, simply summing them together would result in an increase of the average volume close to 6dB's (which is twice as loud). By decreasing the mono mix by 6dB, you arrive at a volume that is much close to the volume of the original stereo mix when listening through two speakers.

Unless you are switching back and forth between stereo and mono using exactly the same monitor/speaker system; this something of a non-issue and the volume will be different for many reasons, including the settings of all level controls and the fact that you are using different speakers.

It is not clear exactly how you plan to switch back and forth between stereo monitoring and mono monitoring using the Mixcube; but between the Volume control of the DA10 and the input level control of the (active) Mixcube, there should be no problem getting a good working level.

You can always contact [email protected] if you have specific questions.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search