The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gearslutz Members y'all all I got, Besides a Guitar Center Salesman! PLEASE HELP!!
Old 9th March 2011
Gear Nut

Gearslutz Members y'all all I got, Besides a Guitar Center Salesman! PLEASE HELP!!

I trust y'all people here before a Salesman any where!!

I'm a Hip-Hop MC/Producer

My microphones are
"Blue Baby Bottle, Mojave 200, AT3035.

My Audio interface is a Motu Ultra Lite 96khz Old Model.

I also owned a Avalon 737sp

My two sets of monitors are Yamaha 8s & Dynaudio 5s with a Yamaha Sub

Computer:

Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition SP2
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 4200+
2.21 GHz, 3.25 GB of Ram

So that's all I'm working with at the present time. Now very soon here i will be getting about 15,000 dollars, And all I can think of is getting new gear. I really want to step it up this year, All I'm doing is recording vocals and making beats. I want to have respected top of line quality thats worth good money. I've had my eyes on a U87 Micophone forever and I've been hearing a lot of great things about the Prism Orpheus, RME Fireface, Aurora Audio, Great River, Metric and so on. But I don't have the time or easy availability to try each one of them out. I don't even need a bunch of mic inputs and in/outs on the back. I just want something very simple, but at the same time putting out jaw dropping quality. PLEASE! can y'all help lead a brotha in the right direction or tell me what you exactly think will improve my quality and take it to the next level overall.

Oh also I will be getting a new computer that can handle the work load from many VSTs and Plug-Ins

Here's a original song i did, all verses are me. The beat is produced by my boy who is also part of my production team... I figure if you could hear my voice and quality it could help y'all decide what direction I should go

THESE TRACKS ARE CLICK & PLAY, NO DOWNLOAD IS REQUIRE TO LISTEN

Calvin L Frazier ft Mr J - Won't Let Me Love You (Blessed By The Beats) 2010.MP3 - 9.4 Mb

Here's another track where I spit harder with more energy, my MC name now is my actual Real name but I used to call my self NOM

GIMME ME THE MONEY NOM VERSE.mp3 - 3.5 Mb

so after hearing that last track maybe u can understand why I like how Royce Da 5'9, Busta Rhymes, and Ludacris Vocals be sounding

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME, AND YOUR OPINIONS HERE MEAN A LOT TO ME SO PLEASE BRING IT!!

EDIT! YOU CAN LISTEN TO THE TRACKS HERE INSTEAD
Old 9th March 2011
so dude .. i'd love to listen to your stuff .. but i'm not going to on this
hosting service .. i'm not gonna sign up for stuff to get spammed for
the rest of my life.

jeff
Old 9th March 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkham View Post
the rest of my life.

jeff
Sorry about that brotha, where should I upload at?
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

I don't hear anything wrong with the production, vocals, etc... I like the tracks.

I would ask...

1. Are you producing your music 100% or close to it with software? If yes, then no need for ton of outboard.

2. Are you mixing your own tracks? And if so, are you mixing 100% or close to it in the box? If yes, no need for a ton of outboard.

3. Are you looking for another pre amp or mic flavor? If yes, get some gear to compliment (not replace) what you already have.

You could upgrade converters if you so desire. May not be necessary. You can search the forum for opinions on converters. How is your room treatment? A computer upgrade seems logical if you'll be getting new VI's and stuff.

I would spend the money on room treatment (if needed), a new pc, software upgrades, and save the rest for local marketing, promotion, mastering, pressing units, etc...
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkham View Post
the rest of my life.

jeff
lol. I thought the same thing. Look down the page. You gotta navigate thru the mine field. There's a small widget you can click on to stream the tracks. The large "play" button is an ad.
Old 9th March 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrafunk View Post
I don't hear anything wrong with the production, vocals, etc... I like the tracks.

I would ask...

1. Are you producing your music 100% or close to it with software? If yes, then no need for ton of outboard.

2. Are you mixing your own tracks? And if so, are you mixing 100% or close to it in the box? If yes, no need for a ton of outboard.

3. Are you looking for another pre amp or mic flavor? If yes, get some gear to compliment (not replace) what you already have.

You could upgrade converters if you so desire. May not be necessary. You can search the forum for opinions on converters. How is your room treatment? A computer upgrade seems logical if you'll be getting new VI's and stuff.

I would spend the money on room treatment (if needed), a new pc, software upgrades, and save the rest for local marketing, promotion, mastering, pressing units, etc...

The guy that did the beat on the first track actually did the mixing on everything from vocals to the production...he lives in Germany tho! lol and the second track I'm not sure who did what I was just featured on it

And to be honest with you I actually have a Homemade booth...with auralex foam and all in it, But I know there's flaws in the design so while it's better then nothing it's most definitely not built perfect

And you right i don't want to replace everything ...My Audio Interface is really the only thing I see I want to totally replace...everything else I would keep for different type of flavor like u said

oh I also forgot to say I used Nuendo 4 to record and do some mixing on my own
Old 9th March 2011
Gear Nut

damn 101 views! but only 2 replies
Old 9th March 2011
Gear Nut

Y'all all I got! I need more feed back!
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

I love it but I have a few issues.

Mixwise everything sits well. From the drums, to the vocals everything sounds good. It sounds on par or better than most tracks of this particular style, which is worth a high five. IMO, I doubt that you NEED to improve your recording situation at all right now.

As for how I recieved the song here are my few issues. I thought the hook on the first track (Won't Let Me Love You) was a bit overdone. The singer along with the sampled vocal is cool for the second half of the hook but it seems a bit rushed having it over the whole hook. Also, I feel that you could have done more interesting things with the vocals in the hook. Some harmony parts, some delays, something to spice it up. See that you didn't do the mixing but all and all those are decisions the producer should address IMO.

The second track was cool but it sounded like some mixtape kind of stuff, which is cool and all but not on the same level as the first track. I loved the beat, loved the raps, but just felt there need to be more to listen to give a full review.

Overall I liked the tracks, especially the first one. With some minor tweaks in the hook you might be onto something with that one. Keep us posted. I would like to hear more from you in the future.

And as always, stop by my page if you are looking for beats.

-1-
Old 9th March 2011
Gear Head

Hi, I think you're not getting much response because your question is pretty vague.

First thing you need to do is look at your process - where it is now and where you want to be....

If you see yourself mainly doing vocals at your place, then concentrate on a killer vocal chain - if you want to be doing more writing, then get instruments, software, plugs etc. If you want to be doing more mixing at your place then room treatment, a console, etc.

There must be some Pro Audio places in Austin or Dallas where you can go and see some stuff ie not guitar center?

I see this thing is coming up soon:

SXSW 2011 Pro Audio Showcase & Mixer | VintageKing.com

Some nice gear and other pros to chat to and get some advice from...
Old 16th March 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanm View Post
hi, i think you're not getting much response because your question is pretty vague.

First thing you need to do is look at your process - where it is now and where you want to be....

If you see yourself mainly doing vocals at your place, then concentrate on a killer vocal chain - if you want to be doing more writing, then get instruments, software, plugs etc. If you want to be doing more mixing at your place then room treatment, a console, etc.

There must be some pro audio places in austin or dallas where you can go and see some stuff ie not guitar center?

I see this thing is coming up soon:

sxsw 2011 pro audio showcase & mixer | vintageking.com

some nice gear and other pros to chat to and get some advice from...

yooo! Thanks for that i will for sure be going!!
Old 17th March 2011
Gear Nut

any more feedback?
Old 17th March 2011
Lives for gear
I know that some people can balance all the roles, but I believe you need to think
about what your strongest point is...vocal/lyrics? music production or sound production?

Generally we all know it's best to have a separate engineer you can work with and trust.

Once you answer that question, then it'll really be easy to give an answer. Basically,
which of those three options is your biggest interest as of now?

It seems to me lyrics/music production are what you need to focus on and you don't need an excellent
room to track vocals, so I would consider waiting a wee bit on making a few changes to it if it's working for you
currently.

Maybe consider getting virtual instruments/synths or maybe a Niko. (those things are awesome)

You could also update your vocal chain as well. Perhaps an SM7, RE20 or a Blue dragonfly. Pair that with a great Pre and there you go.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search