The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Plugin Compressors Can't Cut it
Old 11th February 2006
Lives for gear

Plugin Compressors Can't Cut it

Convince me I'm wrong, give me some examples of good to great plugin compressors that really work without squeezing my mixers.
I'm using a PT HD3 system and some outboard compressors, so realtime works for me.
2 x Distressors
1 x UA 2-1176
1 x FMR/RNLA just got this one and it poooooos over plugins.

I would buy more outboard comps but they cost heaps, but in the long run I'm goina have alot more. Maybe more of the RNLA as they're cheap and actually work.

Nick
Old 11th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aearth
Convince me I'm wrong, give me some examples of good to great plugin compressors that really work without squeezing my mixers.
I'm using a PT HD3 system and some outboard compressors, so realtime works for me.
2 x Distressors
1 x UA 2-1176
1 x FMR/RNLA just got this one and it poooooos over plugins.

I would buy more outboard comps but they cost heaps, but in the long run I'm goina have alot more. Maybe more of the RNLA as they're cheap and actually work.

Nick
UAD-1 LA2A, 1176LN, Fairchild.
Old 11th February 2006
Lives for gear

Hi Henchman

I have the UA TDM version of UAD-1 but they still don't do it like outboard. Maybe the UAD-1 card maybe different but they both come from the same company.

Nick
Old 11th February 2006
I think UAD's compressors are some of the best dynamics plugs around.

But yeah, I still prefer hardware dynamics.

There are some seriously bad-a$$ EQ plugs out there though...
Old 11th February 2006
Lives for gear

I think we are on the verge of a take over though guys.
Old 11th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master
I think UAD's compressors are some of the best dynamics plugs around.

But yeah, I still prefer hardware dynamics.... (snip)....
I have never heard a plugin compressor that I liked.

YMMV
Old 11th February 2006
Gear Addict

MCDSP Compressorbank and Metric Halo's Chanel Strip are both great and have (if dialed in) that snappy compression that other plug ins lack.
Old 11th February 2006
Gear Maniac

For a plugin the FAIRCHILD 660 is the one for a plugin !!!!
Old 11th February 2006
Lives for gear

IMO the sony dynamics plug is great.
Old 11th February 2006
Lives for gear

Plug-ins are great for what they are.

Sometimes a Distressor does the trick and sometimes it's just a Ren Compressor.
Old 11th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1420
For a plugin the FAIRCHILD 660 is the one for a plugin !!!!
I agree. The key is to not allow for any meter movement.
Old 11th February 2006
Lives for gear

I like Digidesigns dynamic III compress. It works great for me! I have many other as well as hardware, but mixing in the box dyn III is great!
Old 11th February 2006
Lives for gear

I think a combination of HW and PU is good. Sometimes you need the sound of HW and then sometimes you need a LOT of channels worth of comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail
You like better than 670?

Vintage Warmer with knee on zero seems to have the least plugin characteristics.
Old 11th February 2006
Jai guru deva om

The UAD stuff is really great for the most part.

War
Old 11th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think we are on the verge of a take over though guys.
That's what I've been hearing for YEARS...

No, they don't cut it. Not on serious gain reduction...nor on "key" tracks. I've got a vocal track I ran through an La3a, and simultaneously through the RenComp...it's not even in the same ballpark. The RenComp track is small an diminished...where the La3a track is bigger, more dimensional...

I'm not saying I don't use digital comps...I do...for small control issues and such, but every mix I do, snare, kick, bass, vocal, and usually electric guitar go out to various analog comps.
Old 11th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail
Can you explain? Are you not using it as a compressor? I never even thought of just running tracks through a plugin in the same way I would with say an 1176.
Old 11th February 2006
Lives for gear

I also have been using DiGi III

I think the Digi III sounds a little fuller then the Ren Comp.
Old 11th February 2006
Lives for gear

I still keep turning back to the Sonalksis comp,its quite coloured and does'nt suit everything but it does a great job when it suits the style. John from Massive recommended this 1 to me over a year ago and I still like it. Though Im sure no plugs in the near future will compare to my Al smart c2 or my Pendulum es8.
Old 11th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Waves SSL 4000 G-Master Buss Compressor. The best 2buss compressor I have used (ITB that is), and no i'm not interested in hearing anymore moaning about WUP!!
Old 11th February 2006
Gear Nut

maybe the guys using the plugins can't cut it
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind
I think the Digi III sounds a little fuller then the Ren Comp.

Really.

I love ren comp and i thought this thing was going to be a heapof **** so i havnt used it.

Ill give it a whirl.
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifer

Well maybe you're right. So why are my outboard compressors in so much demand and are constantly out on hire with guys mixing and tracking on their own PT HD systems?
I'm not saying I don't use plugins I'm saying they're not as good as the real deal when it counts. Light compression is ok but when you start adding more gain reduction you get that small squeezey sound, you're better off riding the fader.
I don't think I'm alone here.

Nick
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

Man Oh man! I just lurve these 'Plugin hatorz' - (I enjoy takin the bait too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyarecords
Waves SSL 4000 G-Master Buss Compressor. The best 2buss compressor I have used (ITB that is), Beya
......Hell Yeah and more and better to come!

Quote:
Convince me I'm wrong,
Dude..... Waves SSL 4000 G-Master Buss Compressor - Your'e Wrong

......and that has gotta hurt, but I feel your pain bro!
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

I hate to say it but I'm with the guys that don't think plugin comps can cut it.

I use them all the time (trying to save up for more hardware), and I agree that sometimes their sound is what's right for a track, but to my ears not one has come even close to hardware. EQ's are a different story, there are a couple that are OK.

One thing that I want from a compressor is PUNCH. Another thing I want is to be able to nuke the track and have it sound great even with massive amounts of gain reduction. Also I want the track to sound more full of life, not muffled or smaller when I compress, which is a big deal if you are compressing a lot of tracks in the mix.

On these counts plugin comps turn things into a mushy mess right when you need them to perform. This goes for every one I've tried (which is pretty much all of them).

There was a great post a while back by Dave Derr I think about the difficulties of implementing software compression from a designer/programmer's perspective. Made a lot of sense with what I hear plugin comps doing.
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

I think I'm turning into a compressor freak...

Some plugs (LinMB, Sony, etc.) a very nice to control dynamics, but man, to give something attitude, or jump, or dimension, or whatever you call it, there's just something about outboard comps!

- Justin
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear
I agree with the comment above that there are some EQ plugs that make you go wow. I still prefer hardware EQ but I never feel guilty using certain EQ plugins. I do prefer hardware on most anything. It's just not realistic from a cost perspective for me. My preference is to have two or so EQ plugins, two or so dynamics plugins, two or so reverbs, two or so delays and get busy. Ideally, I think you'd want to add two compressor rack units, a hardware reverb and an inductor EQ.
Old 12th February 2006
Gear Guru

for me, plugs do a fine job of minimal initial leveling before things hit the analog juice.

uad 1176's on snare and overs, la2a on kick, just a little of each, 4-6 db tops on the drums, 2db on the overs. generally, i use way slower attacks than i do on hardware, otherwise things mush out.

so the dsp control is moderate and fairly invisible, but when things hit the api on the 2 buss everything just explodes. the 2500 gives the smack i long for, but doesn't have to work too hard to keep things in order. 1.5:1, 2db max, the mix is beautifully shaped and singing to the heavens.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifer

Maybe
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblack
Can you explain? Are you not using it as a compressor? I never even thought of just running tracks through a plugin in the same way I would with say an 1176.
I use it for gain and girth.

Strangely, it works surprisingly well.
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
You like better than 670?

I just never got the hang of the 670. Perhaps, I'm just moronic, but using the 660 in stereo seems the way to go for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search