The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Plugin Compressors Can't Cut it
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I prefer nice resteraunts with great food... I'll still go to subway 5 days a week, but I wont argue its 'better' then my favorite resteraunt, but at the point that I'm at I dont have the TIME or MONEY to go there every night.
But every once in a while some people find a hot dog/kebab/your preference
with the special garnish or sausage that thumbsup
Fast, cheap and heavenly. I'd like to have an experience like that added to my weekly menu..

ruudman
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang
It's true that the best plug in compressors used on individual tracks sound quite good and no doubt that 100-300$ investment in multiple compressors versus 2000-5000 $ for 2 ch. of top analogue compression will direct mass market development towards software vs. hardware.
Still, demand on analogue interaction of compressors, summing, EQs and other hardware, analogue components that obviously add touch of what human ears accept as 'nearer to natural' will probably never cease to exist in music making.
Analogue gears are actually live, creative instruments, they need touch and they are alive (hot, causing trobles sometimes, taking so much place) just like petts that make our lives less virtual.
Together they serve us perfectly.

Well said
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

I've heard several hardware manufacturers...I want to say George Massenburg and Dave Derr...say that they don't think the DSP horsepower to do a good hardware compressor is there yet. I think it's somewhat telling that Massenburg has some of the most respected analog EQ's and compressors on the market as well as one of the most respected plugin EQ's, yet hasn't done a software compressor yet...

Having said that, there are some software compressors I like. But I would still take a good hardware compressor over them if possible.

-Duardo
Old 14th July 2006
Gear Head

...waiting for Waves Comp-Clone...
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen
Did I miss it, or did not one mention Wade's Chandler Limiter Plug-In?
I hate most plug in comps (I find the 1176 and the Fairchild plugs acceptable), but think Wade's is the best comp plug I have heard to date. Is this just me? Any takers?
I too love the EMI TG12413... I bought it right after ten minutes with the demo. For some reason everyone says "Waves! URS! UAD!" but not many people mention this plug-in which is one of the most flexible and good-sounding plug-ins ever made IMO. Wade mentioned that there will be two new EMI plugs coming soon; can't wait!!

J.D.
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

If you can't write/sing/play a song it doesn't matter a damn anyway.
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

I like the Ren Comp on vox. I think the UAD plugs are really cool however, a tube compressor (Summit MPC) has helped me bring out the music in the mix better than a plug
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark O
...waiting for Waves Comp-Clone...
what's the beef?..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search