The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann USM69i stereo mic is most like which Neumann mono mic ?
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Nut

Neumann USM69i stereo mic is most like which Neumann mono mic ?

I just searched here and could not find an answer. Also scoured the Neumann site, no luck.

I'd like to know which classic Neumann mono mic the USM 69 i stereo mic is most closely related to. I once heard someone say that the USM 69 i was essentially a "stereo U87Ai" - is this true?

Would love to hear from anyone who uses the USM 69i and other Neumann mics, in your opinion, what other Neumann mic does the USM 69i sound most like?

Any general opinions on the USM69i welcome.

Here's a link to the Neumann USM69i page -

Neumann - USM 69 i / Description
Old 7th March 2011
It is recent version of the USM69, which was updated SM69 fet, which was updated SM69 tube, which was updated SM2 but with capsules from U67 ...
Good info about SM69 is here : Neumann Models QM 69, SM 69
Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear

I have an SM69 fet which is the predecessor to the USM69. The pattern selectors on the SM69 are located in an external power supply. I don't know if there are any other differences. I love the sound of the SM69. It is reminiscent of the U87, but with more top end. It is quite bright when used up close, almost as bright as a Brauner Valvet. The low mids are more like the U87 though. Maybe not quite as pronounced. Great mics.
Old 7th March 2011
I also have SM69 fet, I don`t like it on vocals (it sounds like mids are pushed too much when its too close to source), but it is really nice on overhead or as front of kit in MS. I only used CMV563 with M7 capsule as for classic Neumann mikes, but there really is no common thing between those two. Dont know how it compares to U67/U87/U47 etc...
Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear

i have a sm 69 tube mic that i want to sell

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search