The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bass recording, amp & DI phase reverse.
Old 7th March 2011
Bass recording, amp & DI phase reverse.

Hey fellow slutz.

My biggest weakness when tracking seems to be getting a good bass gitar sound. I usually mic the amp with a D112 or similar and also DI. I know a lot depends on the actual amp and guitar used, but I still seem to struggle.

Just wondering whether any fellow engineers tend to flip the phase between the amp track and the DI track? Ive tried doing it both ways, but still getting a pretty flabby bass sound.

Any other tips would also be useful.

Thanks!
Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam Sound View Post
Hey fellow slutz.

My biggest weakness when tracking seems to be getting a good bass gitar sound. I usually mic the amp with a D112 or similar and also DI. I know a lot depends on the actual amp and guitar used, but I still seem to struggle.

Just wondering whether any fellow engineers tend to flip the phase between the amp track and the DI track? Ive tried doing it both ways, but still getting a pretty flabby bass sound.

Any other tips would also be useful.

Thanks!
It may be the D112 mic.
I used to own a pair of D112's, and it makes sense to use a bass drum low frequency mic on a bass amp....but it always sounded like mud with weird midrange tones.
It could be phase issue too.....you may want to really deaden the space around the amp, and deaden underneath the mic with multiple blankets, pillows, whatever you got.
I don't know what you have for mic options, but try even a SM57 is good.
Sen. 421 is real good...
Try a LDC condenser too....

Good luck!
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Nut

I wrote an article on this recently. You can view it here.

Essentially, it takes some thoughtful trial and error. It isn't simply an issue of flipping the phase. It often requires further adjustment at the sample level to achieve a blended signal with the most output.

But it's not just about increasing level of the blended signal. It's also about finding the optimal tone given the context, and different sample delays on one signal will have a considerable affect on the summed tone. Blending two bass signals -- invariably out of perfect phase in virtue of coming into the console or DAW from different sources -- is always a matter of trial and error. There is no one particular sample delay that will work to give you the results you need. (Though some people like to give numbers!) Yet I can almost promise you that fiddling with some sample delay will give you more control over the blended sound you seek, and, hopefully, give you something better than simply inverting the phase of either the miked or DI'd signal.
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Nut

I should also say that microphone placement and selection obviously plays a critical role in getting a good blended bass tone -- the 57 and 421 are great choices! -- but it won't completely eliminate the benefits that accompany fiddling with the sample delay between the signals.

There are some pretty neat hardware phase alignment tools that mitigate the need for fiddling with sample delay. I believe Radial and Little Labs make something to this effect. Might be worth the investment if you do a lot of bass tracking this way.
Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalkinds View Post
I wrote an article on this recently. You can view it here.
Very good job with the article and pictures...very easy to understand

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search