The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your favorite vocal microphone(s)/pre's for Classic COUNTRY Crooning?
Old 7th March 2011
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Your favorite vocal microphone(s)/pre's for Classic COUNTRY Crooning?

And why....

About to get recorded at my buddy's project studio, and also record other country "flavored" vocalists there.

Have certain mics in mind, but am open to learn'n a thang or twoheh.

As long as it STAYS constructive, wouldn't mind secondary comments about the possibility of the Country Music charts really becoming "country" (your definition here!) again.

(listening to vintage George Jones as this is posted)

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Head

I'm quite fond of the Mojave MA-200 on male vocals. I've had good luck with my Soundelux (now Bock Audio) U195 for female vocals. Both smooth, quality mics in the $1,000 range.
Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov View Post
And why....

About to get recorded at my buddy's project studio, and also record other country "flavored" vocalists there.

Have certain mics in mind, but am open to learn'n a thang or twoheh.
Ain't no such thing.
Old 7th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
Ain't no such thing.
Exactly. Put a decent mic in front of a country artist performing a country song and it will sound like country.
Gear Addict

I spent a number of years in Nashville assisting on sessions for various country artists ranging from old school to new school. The mic I saw more often then anything else was the Neumann U67. Different pres, different comps and EQs, but most often, a U67.
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Hmm...

In my (limited) experience with meeting a number of pro AE's, they actually tend to be inclined towards certain mics, partly in regard to musical genre(s).
IMHO there's a little more to it than summary dismissal.

Haven't seen too many Opry singers on DPA's, for example, unlike opera singersheh.

Thanks again for all the responses though.

Chris
Deleted User
Had a session a couple of weeks ago, we used the Neumann TLM 149 and a Focusrite Liquid Channel. Sounds delicious.
Gear Addict

Corb Lund is always recording something at my studio with my senior engineer...

The mic i've seen him using is a 4033, if you like the Corb records then go for that. Although Corb doesn't record exclusively here and likely not exclusively with that mic, fact is there is no one mic thats going to solve your problems, but I'm sure you are aware.
Lives for gear

I'd start with AEA R44 and AEA RPQ, with a little high lift. That's just me though.
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Nut

Schoeps
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov View Post
Haven't seen to many Opry singers on DPA's, for example, unlike opera singersheh.
That kind of mic choice is more the result of the selected recording technique than the actual musical style. Opera vocals are intended to sound very honest with plenty of natural ambience in a genre-specific acoustic environment. If that's the style you want for a country tune then go for that recording technique. Don't let the fact that it's not opera hold you back.
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Chrisc_0, well said.

We may be using a MXL R144 ribbon for some vocals (ballads), and had some concern whether it would go over well with a "modern" pop listener.

We're pretty sonically challenged at this project studio. Meaning a not very well treated room, so may do some critical vocals elsewhere on a portable recorder.

Chris
Old 8th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Old Neumann U67, U77, or U87. Old Telefunken V376 mic pre. Same set up I would use for most any vocal. To make it more "classic" country sounding you would compress the vocal, add some sort of reverb that sounds like a live chamber, and bring the vocal level up in the mix more than you normally would for a rock record. A lot of classic country was mixed to sound best on a juke box or an AM radio station and the key is getting the vocal front and center so the listener can understand the lyrics clearly.

I went and looked at the Mix Magazine Classic Tracks web page and on the Merle Haggard "Mama Tried," which was done at Capitol in L.A., they used a U67 on the lead vocal. On the George Jones classic "He Stopped Loving Her Today," recorded in the legendary Quonset Hut in Nashville, Billy Sherrill used a U87 for George's lead vocal. The "classic" country sound is more about the arrangement and the production than it is about the gear. There is no special "country" sounding mic.
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Excellent reminder on most likely using a chamber type reverb. Otherwise was going to simply use a digital plate (big rockabilly fan here).

Chris
I'd say a ribbon would be a good choice or an ADK Hamburg.
๐Ÿ“ Reply