The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
need help with my next upgrade
Old 5th March 2011
Gear Nut

need help with my next upgrade

I've been using a digi002 for the past 10 years and I can't take it anymore! My ears know what they want, and they aren't going to get it with my current setup. I have great mic's and outboard gear, but my mixes lack the depth, width, and clarity that only a great converter can offer.

My budget is around $3k, I use protools with a Mac tower.

If I go with an Apogee or Lynx, what else will I need besides a pci-e card and the converter?

Do I keep the Digi002 as an interface, or will this need an upgrade as well?

If I do keep the Digi002 will I be running into problems recording at a high sample rate?

Is my monotoring situation going to change as well?

I know I have a lot of questions, but I just can't seem to figure this out on my own.

Thanks in advance!
Old 5th March 2011
If your mixing and recoridng enviroment isnt treated and tuned to its best, thne i would put all my money and time into that first..

Its often overlooked, but if your mixes lack the things you say they lack, converters are not your problem, as you can get a pro qulaity mix form a $200 m-audio sound card!!
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

I was going thru the same thing. I would suggest buying some Gik traps then attack the converter. Night and day difference. I just bought a metric halo 2882. I heard one and I was sold.

Sent from my Nexus One using Gearslutz.com App
Old 5th March 2011
Gear Nut

Maybe I need to clarify. I'm happy with my studio environment. My room is treated and sounds great. I have great monitors, and I know what I'm hearing. I'm hearing crappy digi conversion.

My question is about a converter upgrade and what necessary hardware I'll be needing given my setup, not my mixes.

I think we all know the benefits of great converters, and that's what I'm after.

Thanks again
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

Go pt9 and metric halo.

Sent from my Nexus One using Gearslutz.com App
Old 5th March 2011
Gear Nut

I keep hearing great things about Metric Halo. Care to elaborate?
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Nut

Bump

Anybody?

Has anyone gone through a similar upgrade? What did you do?

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search