The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann TLM 49 vs AKG C414XLII
Old 5th March 2011
Gear Nut

Neumann TLM 49 vs AKG C414XLII

what do you guys think for vocals Neumann TLM 49 vs AKG C414XLII
Old 5th March 2011
Gear Addict

Nine times out of ten I prefer my Tlm 103 to my akg414 xl ii... Though it really depends on the singer/talent and the given song
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

I just am breaking in a TLM 49. I use a Peluso 22 251, AT4050, Dapro CR1-4, SM7, AT4081 for vox.
At first I was a little put off, as with any mic in my closet, because I'm used to the Peluso on my own voice but the 49 is the kind of mic that gives you the sound you're looking for-even if you're not looking for it.
I started to realize this as I had a mini shootout of my own and heard the other mics I've used and become familiar with not hold up as much as I thought as I went down the line.
One true shining moment is when I tracked acoustic with a single mic (49) for the first time. I always double up w/ a ribbon (4081+ 22 251) and was ecstatic to hear the results.
btw-I've noticed a few very new 49's for sale used and I know they do require some burn in and am wondering if others are having the same initial first impression as I have had, only to not use it long enough to really enjoy its true tone a few months down the road.
bbtw-I've used 414's (not XLll) and have never vibed w/ them.
IMHO, the 49 sounds big, rich and full but most of all, its scratching a classic tone which is the reason I bought it in the first place.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search