The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dual Mono - Help!
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

Dual Mono - Help!

I'm keen on setting up a dual mono mix buss. I'm just not sure how to do it . If any body can help me i'll be your best friend.

Working in Nuendo 4, i create 1 group track. I pan this group track hard left. I then create a fx track and send everything prefader from the group track to the fx track. I pan the fx track hard right. So far so good?

Now I'm able to place a mono saturation plug in on each mono mix down track.

Finally everything should be outputting to a final stereo mix buss where i can then go and add some compression in order to give everything glue.

If this the right way to go about it? Thanks...
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

Nobody?
Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear

somebody?
Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear

Seems to me just make 2 mono groups and route your left info to one and right to the other. Both then feed the master buss.
Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear
Humm.. A mono signal recorded and panned hard left/hard right is not 'xactly the same as true stereo..For instanace, if you recorded a stereo keyboard (synth) out of one mono channel then pan it left, then recorded another mono channel and pan it right will not be the same as if you recorded the keyboard out of the left/right channels onto two separate track at the same time.It will create a greater L C R soundstage than the two panned mono tracks.. You will end up with the two mono signals containing the exact same info even tho they are panned L/R ( ie..Bass notes+melody)..As with the true stereo signal, you have the bass notes and the melody basically going into separation hence hearing the player's left hand and right hand out of different speakers..( If the keyboard is set up in the split mode of course)

SOT...Using dual mono in composite mix ( mix buss) situation IME sometimes lends to a wider soundstage than "some" true stereo mixbuss compressors.. They have a tendacy to " collaspe" the stereo separation to a more of a mono sounding mix ( IME...)[email protected] " True Power Summing" designs helps this quite a bit tho as his mixbuss compressor sounds very wide..Good luck
Old 7th March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
Humm.. A mono signal recorded and panned hard left/hard right is not 'xactly the same as true stereo..For instanace, if you recorded a stereo keyboard (synth) out of one mono channel then pan it left, then recorded another mono channel and pan it right will not be the same as if you recorded the keyboard out of the left/right channels onto two separate track at the same time.It will create a greater L C R soundstage than the two panned mono tracks.. You will end up with the two mono signals containing the exact same info even tho they are panned L/R ( ie..Bass notes+melody)..As with the true stereo signal, you have the bass notes and the melody basically going into separation hence hearing the player's left hand and right hand out of different speakers..( If the keyboard is set up in the split mode of course)

SOT...Using dual mono in composite mix ( mix buss) situation IME sometimes lends to a wider soundstage than "some" true stereo mixbuss compressors.. They have a tendacy to " collaspe" the stereo separation to a more of a mono sounding mix ( IME...)[email protected] " True Power Summing" designs helps this quite a bit tho as his mixbuss compressor sounds very wide..Good luck
Well .. if you're dealing with an interleaved stereo system such as
Nuendo, I'm perplexed why you would want to use a dual-mono
approach. There are some advantages to dual-mono (such as in
Protools where you can easily "flip" left and right .. and not have to
deal with pan-laws, etc.) ..

Can you explain a bit about why you're taking this approach?

jeff
Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear
I was basically speaking of the stereo mixbuss compressor itself.. Not what you'll doing in the DAW..I may have misunderstood what you was asking..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search