The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Console Fun!
Old 4th March 2011
Console Fun!

So I just thought this up 5 seconds ago and thought it might be a fun
discussion!

Would you rather build a console full of all the various preamps
you like or would you rather have a pre-built console (SSL Neve, etc) with everything ready to go in a more convenient package?

I see advantages and disadvantages to both but I figure this would
be a fun way for people to describe why they did what they did with their money and what issues
both types have come across.

Fire away!
Old 5th March 2011
Gear Guru

Pre-built by someone who made a purpose built design. I want my console transparent - to pass whatever I put thru it without imparting a footprint of it's own. I work on too many different styles of music to have a big "always on, always colored" effect pedal on everything. That's why I chose a D&R. Outboard, I've got everything from API to Neve to Tube. You name it - coloration galore. Color it on the way in, keep it that way. That's my motto..... Probably not suited for everyone, but it gives me maximum flexibility and that's what I need. thumbsup YMMV
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I want my console transparent, and to pass whatever I put thru it without imparting a footprint of it's own.
This is what ITB is.
Old 5th March 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
This is what ITB is.
ITB does not equal a transparent analog console. tutt
Old 5th March 2011
Very true...ITB does not equal transparent full analog sound although I agree
that transparency ITB is a true concept .
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
ITB does not equal a transparent analog console. tutt
I know, but what you describe can only be obtained ITB. All analog equipment has a sound and is never completely transparent.
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know, but what you describe can only be obtained ITB. All analog equipment has a sound and is never completely transparent.
I don't think that's necessarily true. I think the Neotek console is transparent/colorless. It's one of the reasons why it doesn't sonically work for me.
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

Maybe the part about color, but analog is never 100% transparent.
Old 5th March 2011
I shoot for relative transparency with a tight low end and just a bit of hyped air.

Nothing too colored, but colored just enough! Do you folks who have lots of separate
pres find yourself spending more than a typical console price?
Old 5th March 2011
Gear Nut

Personally I would love to have a mixture of a pre-built with some of my own customizations....say a neve console with an ssl g buss compressor. Maybe a have the preamp customized to be able to switch in a tube. One day when I have time and money I will build my own customized console.
Old 5th March 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Have you ever worked on analog consoles? A Neve or API is radically different "color-wise" than a D&R or Neotek. We're not talking absolutes here, we're talking degrees. Even Digital ITB is "colored" from it's A/D and D/A if you want to start talking about minute degrees.
Old 5th March 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcolbeyx View Post
Personally I would love to have a mixture of a pre-built with some of my own customizations....say a neve console with an ssl g buss compressor. Maybe a have the preamp customized to be able to switch in a tube. One day when I have time and money I will build my own customized console.
You should check out Rob Schnapf's MCI. It's got Neve, API, and I believe Hardy pre's and bussing paths I believe. He told me once, but I forgot, but I know for sure it's got Neve and API in it along with some other "colors". thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search